VW 1.5 tsi jerky acceletation

Soldato
Hey guys,

I’ve got the latest VW Passat with the 1.5tsi engine.

it’s been fine for the past few months but has sat pretty idle for the past few weeks for obvious reasons - apart from like a few mins drive a week or so ago.

Got in it today and drove for ten mins only to realise there was something very wrong.

I have read about the well known kangaroo engine performance you can get with this engine and it seems I may be afflicted all of a sudden.

the cat almost ‘bounces’ under spirited acceleration in second, third and fourth gears and the Rev needle can be seen reflecting this. The engine noise also reflects this - it’s very prominent and quite horrible.

It’s a company lease car thank god so I’ll get it booked in for a repair with the dealer when they reopen but my basic research suggests that this is a very common issue with this engine in particular and that it’s a software fix that’s needed - anyone any experience of this issue?

thanks

Soldato
the 1.5tsi in the Golf [and others] was blighted w/ this issue, I did read that it was only when mated to a manual gearbox but i'm not sure if that's right. as far as I can say though, you would have noticed that for the start, as it was an engine management issue that needed a software fix as M1k3H says; if yours has just suddenly started doing it, it would suggest something else has happened.

Soldato
OP
the 1.5tsi in the Golf [and others] was blighted w/ this issue, I did read that it was only when mated to a manual gearbox but i'm not sure if that's right. as far as I can say though, you would have noticed that for the start, as it was an engine management issue that needed a software fix as M1k3H says; if yours has just suddenly started doing it, it would suggest something else has happened.

Hmmmm yes mine is a DSG box. The car literally hasn’t moved for weeks but has only done mine 4000 miles since new and driven perfectly.

how could anything actually go wrong with it all of a sudden? Could it’s lack of use have caused this?

Associate
I had a brand new Seat leon 1.5 tsi manual 130ps which I successfully rejected last year - kangarooing when cold, hesitation and just overall an awful experience.

It's a known issue where a software fix should sort it - however as there are so many variations of trim/model this engine is fitted too it took a while for the fix to be distributed throughout the manufacturers. For my Leon after around 9 months of waiting the fix still hadn't been released for my model.

By now there should be a software fix for it - so you should be fine. :) From what Seat were saying - all the VW models have a fix now in place.

Soldato
OP
I had a brand new Seat leon 1.5 tsi manual 130ps which I successfully rejected last year - kangarooing when cold, hesitation and just overall an awful experience.

It's a known issue where a software fix should sort it - however as there are so many variations of trim/model this engine is fitted too it took a while for the fix to be distributed throughout the manufacturers. For my Leon after around 9 months of waiting the fix still hadn't been released for my model.

By now there should be a software fix for it - so you should be fine. :) From what Seat were saying - all the VW models have a fix now in place.

except my issue hasn’t been from new and mine is a DSG 150bhp model..... hopefully it’s the same remedy lol!!!!

Soldato
OP
If it's been stood an Italian tuneup should sort it out! :D

this is true - a good long run might be helpful.

but I remain confused by what it could actually be - blocked fuel line perhaps? The rev needle bounces around like anything under acceleration though - it’s bad - wish I could upload a video or something

Don
this is true - a good long run might be helpful.

but I remain confused by what it could actually be - blocked fuel line perhaps? The rev needle bounces around like anything under acceleration though - it’s bad - wish I could upload a video or something

That sounds more like a clutch / gearbox issue than an engine management problem. The rev's shouldn't physically be able to "jump", they should be smoothed by the rotation of the wheels & engine.

Does your car indicate what gear it is in? Is it jumping between gears maybe?

Soldato
OP
That sounds more like a clutch / gearbox issue than an engine management problem. The rev's shouldn't physically be able to "jump", they should be smoothed by the rotation of the wheels & engine.

Does your car indicate what gear it is in? Is it jumping between gears maybe?

yep - it’s a DSG box with gear indicators - I can see each gear I’m in at all times on the digital display.

It isn’t jumping between gears - the gear change is typically very smooth - it’s the acceleration when it happens with symptoms such as a bouncing/jerking of the car, Rev counter and corresponding engine sound. It’s seems to happen in all gears not matter what also.

Soldato
i'm no expert, but i'd think crap in the fuel lines from sitting unused etc would likely affect emissions and you'd probably get a light on the dash. we could speculate endlessly, the only sure way is to get it to the dealer so they can hook the computers up and monitor what's happening.

Soldato
OP
i'm no expert, but i'd think crap in the fuel lines from sitting unused etc would likely affect emissions and you'd probably get a light on the dash. we could speculate endlessly, the only sure way is to get it to the dealer so they can hook the computers up and monitor what's happening.
True true - think I’ll see what it’s doing today and report back also

Soldato
OP
Just took it for another run to the shops and it’s still happening.

Massively jerky from about 2800 Rpm onwards under any form of acceleration.

if I keep it under 3000rpm you wouldn’t know about it. It’s less noticeable in second but as you rise through the gears it becomes utterly intolerable.

I’m stumped and I can’t get I fixed. Makes me mad lol

Soldato
How old is the car ? Looks like VW cheap'd out and only give 1 year road side cover. If it's got VW Roadside Assist give them a call 0800 777 192 they will come out to the car and check it. They can do minor repairs on the drive Audi Roadside Assist can do software updates I would expect VW to be able to aswell. They can also get parts and come back they changed the turbo actuator on my mum's car on her drive I would expect them to have a stock of coil packs in the van.

Soldato
OP
How old is the car ? Looks like VW cheap'd out and only give 1 year road side cover. If it's got VW Roadside Assist give them a call 0800 777 192 they will come out to the car and check it. They can do minor repairs on the drive Audi Roadside Assist can do software updates I would expect VW to be able to aswell. They can also get parts and come back they changed the turbo actuator on my mum's car on her drive I would expect them to have a stock of coil packs in the van.

It’s less than 6 months old - Lease car through work. The lease company is closed however

Soldato
My Seat was hesitant and juddery under hard acceleration for a second or two until I changed the spark plugs during a service. Although the needle never actually jumped, it just wouldn't rise to reflect the fact I wasn't really moving anywhere

Back
Top Bottom