Installing Win10 on primary SSD -Secondary 3.5" HD ok?

Associate
I'm finally going to update a Win7 machine to 10 but thought I'd ask a quick question first. :)

I have 2 drives in it, a 250gb SSD which the OS has and a 1tb 3.5" for media etc. Given that I'll do a wipe of the SSD and simply install 10, is there any reason to worry about the new OS simply picking up the 3.5" and carrying on as usual? I'll do a backup of that too of course, but thought I'd just check if there's any hidden issues with a new OS reading an already in use HD?

Any advice much appreciated.

I would unplug the HD when installing the upgrade, just to stop Windows from putting the boot sector on the hard drive (which it sometimes likes to do), but once this is done, replugging in the hard drive and using it as it currently is should be fine in Windows 10.

Soldato
+1 for only having the os drive connected during Windows install
Possibility the hdd may have boot record on it depending what was connected during previous installs
Though once the ssd is up and running
If that's the case should be sortable

Associate
OP
I've got this sorted pretty much, however having just connected the 1tb 3.5 back up, windows has labeled it as drive F. So I've gone into disk management to rename it D, but there already appears to be something called that.. Oddly, Disk Management is calling it Disk 2, Removeable, No media. Presumably this is from when I've been using USB drives, but I've nothing attach currently and it's still showing up. Is it ok to remove this? It should be shouldn't it?

Soldato
I've got this sorted pretty much, however having just connected the 1tb 3.5 back up, windows has labeled it as drive F. So I've gone into disk management to rename it D, but there already appears to be something called that.. Oddly, Disk Management is calling it Disk 2, Removeable, No media. Presumably this is from when I've been using USB drives, but I've nothing attach currently and it's still showing up. Is it ok to remove this? It should be shouldn't it?
Might be something like a printer etc
That can accept a memory card

Back
Top Bottom