2019 NFL Season Thread

Associate
I think the Bears are very limited on cap space and picks so have to take what they can get. A positive is Foles knows Reid's (and his former coaches) systems very well so slots in with no learning - particularly with limited practice season this year.

We were rumoured to have spoken to the Bengals about Dalton, and offered the same $60m/3yrs for Teddy B. So clearly looking around and I guess it came down to which player wanted to sign with us and the trade being workable. I think Dalton would have been rejuvenated a bit in Chicago.

I'm with Matt Forte on Trubisky. I think he's a backup at best right now and probably very likely a bust. Virtually any QB is an upgrade.

Soldato
Holy **** bombs the Rams have cut Gurley, what the **** is this off season all about :eek: :D

All goes back to the end of the run to the superbowl, seems all their "oh theirs no problem, just resting him etc" was utter rubbish.

will have to question the people that said he was going to recover from the injury he had pre draft without any issues.......

edit:

even more troublesome is this considering he's 38, they have no replacement set for him and he was having problems a lot of last season:
Andrew Whitworth OL: Re-signed to a 3 yr $30m contract that includes $12.5 million guaranteed and has a max value of $37.5 million, Rapoport reported.

talk of gurley getting with the falcons, but a medical is needed and with the virus its not as easy as usual.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I would like to see him end up on the Bills, similar player to Allen but more refined so could see him being a good back up with potential to step up.

On another note, does anyone here do their own mock drafts? I'm.obsessed with it, got a round one done and tempted to do round two as well.

Associate
GB's moves are curious, although it's difficult to truly grade a draft without the luxury of time. That said not getting help at WR seems odd but they are obviously confident in what they have so fair play if that pans out.

The Bears had barely anything; 2 x 2nds, 2 x 5th, 2 x 6th and a 7th so turning that into some starters was going to be difficult. But Ryan Pace has a solid record outside the first round and he didn't mortgage the future on this one, in that we only gave up next year's 4th. Given he's in a 'prove it' year I thought he'd do something stupid with next years picks to draft up. He has a track record for that.

Those commenting on our army of Tight Ends clearly haven't watched us over the past 2 years where Trey Burton was often unavailable and Shaheen is a bust. And Nagy does use them. So hopefully Kmet can help there. But we didn't draft OL until very late and are still weak there. :/

Associate
GB's moves are curious, although it's difficult to truly grade a draft without the luxury of time. That said not getting help at WR seems odd but they are obviously confident in what they have so fair play if that pans out.

Im a packers fan and honestly don't think the first four rounds of the draft could have gone much worse for us! Not only did we take a QB which we wont need for at least three years we gave up an additional 4th round pick to get him which could easily have been used on a player we actually needed! We then spent the second round pick on a RB who looks good but just says we have no intention of resigning Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams at the end of this year. Not bothered about us not picking a WR at the top of the draft like a lot of people are complaining about as that has never been the GB way. Our gaping holes last season were on D and there were solid picks available for us to have sorted these issues out.

Soldato
Saints signed Jameis Winston, be interesting to see how that goes for him behind the saints oline

Im a packers fan and honestly don't think the first four rounds of the draft could have gone much worse for us!

i feel similar about the rams, we lost a lot of experience/quality in defence.

added to that we have ramsey sitting there with the possibility of a new/big contract, after the rams recent performances with contracts i'm not sure that would be a good idea,

think we could go from division champs to bottom of the pile in a rush.

Last edited:
Associate
Saints signed Jameis Winston, be interesting to see how that goes for him behind the saints oline

i feel similar about the rams, we lost a lot of experience/quality in defence.

added to that we have ramsey sitting there with the possibility of a new/big contract, after the rams recent performances with contracts i'm not sure that would be a good idea,

think we could go from division champs to bottom of the pile in a rush.

Your issue at the Rams is the mess you have got yourselves in with the Gurley and Goff contracts. Those are going to affect your roster decisions for a few years yet. I can't remember the figures but im pretty sure you still have Gurley counting for a good chunk of cap space even though he's not on your roster for next season.

Soldato
Your issue at the Rams is the mess you have got yourselves in with the Gurley and Goff contracts. Those are going to affect your roster decisions for a few years yet. I can't remember the figures but im pretty sure you still have Gurley counting for a good chunk of cap space even though he's not on your roster for next season.

total agree and i hope whoever agreed the contracts doesn't deal with contracts now, no idea what they were using/drinking when they came up with that contract for goff

from what i can see looking around, this is how bad it is:

Gurley:
contract through to 2023, the deal was worth $60 million and includes $45 million guaranteed

when we got rid of him it cost them $20.15 million in dead money, and "saved" $5.5 million in 2020

goff :

four-year, $134 million contract that featured $110 million in guaranteed money, restructured to gain $7 million in cap room.

Soldato
wondered how bad it was as i thought i'd heard that Mcvay hasn't had a 1st round pick available to him, and came up with the following:

Aside from the major contract, to get Goff (thanks Jeff Fisher...):

Titans got : Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), a fourth-round pick (2016) and a sixth-round pick (2016).

and other 1st round picks since :

2018 23 No pick (traded to New England Patriots to get Brandin Cooks who is now with the texans)

2019 31 No pick (traded to Atlanta Falcons just a trade back so not a major issue for me)

2020 1st round and 2021 1st/4th round (traded to Jacksonville Jaguars for ramsey who's up for a big contract)

Associate
wondered how bad it was as i thought i'd heard that Mcvay hasn't had a 1st round pick available to him, and came up with the following:

Aside from the major contract, to get Goff (thanks Jeff Fisher...):

Titans got : Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), a fourth-round pick (2016) and a sixth-round pick (2016).

and other 1st round picks since :

2018 23 No pick (traded to New England Patriots to get Brandin Cooks who is now with the texans)

2019 31 No pick (traded to Atlanta Falcons just a trade back so not a major issue for me)

2020 1st round and 2021 1st/4th round (traded to Jacksonville Jaguars for ramsey who's up for a big contract)

There are some Gm's out there with serious explaining to do!

We are both complaining about our squads but it could be worse, we could have Bill O'Brian in charge and just seen D Hop given away for David Johnson and his massive contract.

Associate
Im a packers fan and honestly don't think the first four rounds of the draft could have gone much worse for us!

Fair enough. I don't disagree and certainly there are a lot of unhappy Pack fans on social media.

Although I do get the logic in GB needing to strengthen it's QB depth. Rodgers hasn't always been available even if he is the one of the greats. And I kind of like teams that do think about QB succession/strength - something the Bears have been p*** poor at forever. Even when Pace said he'd draft a QB every year until he found one. Philly also got a lot of stick for taking Hurts in the 2nd but Wentz has had some significant injuries and they too needed some strength in depth. There just aren't enough vet FAs to fill the void. Although I feel they should have waited until a QB fell to them but my guess is they probably thought there was a real risk of their QB(s) not being there.

Associate
Fair enough. I don't disagree and certainly there are a lot of unhappy Pack fans on social media.

Although I do get the logic in GB needing to strengthen it's QB depth. Rodgers hasn't always been available even if he is the one of the greats. And I kind of like teams that do think about QB succession/strength - something the Bears have been p*** poor at forever. Even when Pace said he'd draft a QB every year until he found one. Philly also got a lot of stick for taking Hurts in the 2nd but Wentz has had some significant injuries and they too needed some strength in depth. There just aren't enough vet FAs to fill the void. Although I feel they should have waited until a QB fell to them but my guess is they probably thought there was a real risk of their QB(s) not being there.

The Eagles pick made far more sense to me. Wentz has always had injury issues and they didn't give up anything else to get Hurts

Back
Top Bottom