Rear wheel not spinning?

Soldato
Hi all,
Bikes CBR 600FX, been sat in garage since last November.
Replaced tyre on rear wheel. However upon refitting it doesn't spin by hand when torqued up. Checked all spacers were in,all 3 bearings span by finger without notchiness. Fitted new cush rubbers but tried with old ones to see if they were an issue - no, no difference.
With nut undone it spins fine - rear brake was dragging a little but freed it off and no issue. Been spinning it without the chain on as thought that might be it but no.

As soon as I tighten axle bolt up it becomes difficult to spin.

Suggestions? Thinking wheel bearings, cush bearing buy they all seem ok.

Soldato
OP
Regreased everything, still same.

Bike wheel is slightly to the right because obviously the sprocket housing is bigger then the brake caliper but it all fits in snug.

Am I overthinking it? Should it spin?

Soldato
Yea you should be able to easily spin the rear wheel by hand with the nut torqued up.

It's not in gear? Although that wouldn't explain why you can spin it loose...

Hmmmm.

Chain isn't too tight?

You could try take the back wheel off and check all the bearings, they should spin very smooth.

Soldato
Regreased everything, still same.

Bike wheel is slightly to the right because obviously the sprocket housing is bigger then the brake caliper but it all fits in snug.

Yes it should spin. If it spun before you removed the wheel to fit the tyre then it can't be seized wheel bearings (and seized wheel bearings just from standing is unlikely anyway). You keep saying all the spacers are correct, but this is the most likely cause of the problem. The spacer between the cush drive and the hub is prone to falling out unnoticed when the wheel is taken out on many bikes, including the CBR6, and this will cause the exact symptoms you are seeing.

VoG

VoG

Soldato

Of course it should spin, if it was fine before you fitted the new back tire then you've miss assembled it some how, so pop your back caliper off & spin the wheel, if it spins it's the caliper, if it doesn't then it's the wheel & take it from there, if need be drift your wheel bearings out & spin them with your fingers.

Soldato
OP
Until I tighten it up it spins.

I think i'm missing a spacer that goes between the hub and the wheel. The issue I have with that is there in a spacer in there however it is wedged in the back of the sprocket bearing so i'm unsure if that should be there or if it has somehow become stuck.

If it isn't that it is either the sprocket or wheel bearings. They spin fine with no notchiness when I spin with my finger, however the bike was laid up for a few months so it is plausible they've just failed due to non-use.

Associate
Dude, you have put the spacers in the wrong side. If it was fine before you took it apart, then you have not put it back as it was, simples!

Soldato
OP
Dude, you have put the spacers in the wrong side. If it was fine before you took it apart, then you have not put it back as it was, simples!

I didn't spin the wheel before I took it apart. Spacers are in as should be. #4 the shouldered spacer is on the correct side.

Tom e - spacer is part 8 on there. I can find a rim piece inside the back of the sprocket carrier bearing (which doesn't look like it is on the photo) so not sure if it wedged in. Either was I need a new sprocket bearing and spacer if I have to remove it because it is wedged tight.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4833561/cbr600f4x-1999-cm/rear-wheel-1

Man of Honour
I didn't spin the wheel before I took it apart. Spacers are in as should be. #4 the shouldered spacer is on the correct side.

Tom e - spacer is part 8 on there. I can find a rim piece inside the back of the sprocket carrier bearing (which doesn't look like it is on the photo) so not sure if it wedged in. Either was I need a new sprocket bearing and spacer if I have to remove it because it is wedged tight.

Can you get a picture? I'm genuinely curious now. Distracts me from doing work :D

Soldato
OP
Can you get a picture? I'm genuinely curious now. Distracts me from doing work :D

I can but no way to host as this site doesn't support images. Basically it spins okish apart from rubbing on rear pads a little but until up and running that's a minor thing. The chain is knackered and obviously that's going to hold it back a little too.

Basically if I leave the axle undone it'll spin a turn or so. If I tighten it up it won't move. I can spin the sprocket carrier on the finger but like I said it's possibly got the spacer wedged in the back which could be causing the issue.
Or it could be the bearings are broken under load I.E. Tightening them up.

Soldato

The spacer that sits between the wheel hub and sprocket carrier looks like this with the smaller diameter half sitting inside the inner race of the bearing. It should be very obvious if it's in place or not. As I mentioned, it's very common for these to drop out when the sprocket carrier is removed as they are very often not a tight press fit into the sprocket carrier bearing.

Soldato
OP
The spacer that sits between the wheel hub and sprocket carrier looks like this with the smaller diameter half sitting inside the inner race of the bearing. It should be very obvious if it's in place or not. As I mentioned, it's very common for these to drop out when the sprocket carrier is removed as they are very often not a tight press fit into the sprocket carrier bearing.

I figured that. In which case it's the bearings. The bit you say falls out is actually wedged in the back of the bearing by the looks of it, hence me asking what does it look like etc. Just received a new sprocket bearing and spacer from David Silver Spares. Got some wheel bearings from an auction site.
That's my next days off sorted.

Back
Top Bottom