Outdoor Garden Pizza Oven

DHR

DHR

Soldato
It's been on my to do list for years, no gas just wood!

Smaller lower end self install (not self build!) units seem to go for around £500 which doesn't seem bad minus the hassle of installation etc.

Has anyone got one of the cheaper clay units?

Associate
The prices of pizza ovens always seem very high to me. The average person wouldn't spend £500 on their kitchen oven let alone on an outdoor pizza oven.

That said, in laws have a Morso pizza oven and the pizzas are very nice. Cast though rather than a clay/brick build.

Soldato
Just get an ooni koda or similar and save yourself installing a structure you will use 3 times a year.

I built my own and I use mine way more than that. After pizzas it stays warm for 2 days allowing for roasts, bread etc. Cost substantially more than £500 though.

Soldato
Going to start building my pizza oven in the next few weeks hopefully.

@200sols Did you go full brick or cast for the dome? I'm thinking I might do a mix of both, bricks for the side and cast the dome to try and reduce costs.

Where did you get your materials from? Seems there is only a hand full of places that actually sell refractory stuff.

Soldato
Just get an ooni koda or similar and save yourself installing a structure you will use 3 times a year.

Are the Ooni ovens any good? I like the idea of a pizza oven but not sure I'd commit to it enough to have full install. Something portable like the Ooni would fit my lifestyle much better

Soldato
Going to start building my pizza oven in the next few weeks hopefully.

@200sols Did you go full brick or cast for the dome? I'm thinking I might do a mix of both, bricks for the side and cast the dome to try and reduce costs.

Where did you get your materials from? Seems there is only a hand full of places that actually sell refractory stuff.

I cast mine, I got all the refractory and insulation items from https://www.kilnlinings.co.uk/

You can read about my build here https://community.fornobravo.com/fo...n-construction/414286-30-cast-corner-build-uk

And that forum has a wealth of great information for everything pizza related.

Soldato
Cheers sols.

I'm on the forno forum too, its got loads of great info, you just have to invest the time to look through a lot of threads.
I'll have a read through your build tonight.

Just to add to Ops question a lot comes down to what you want to use the oven for.

If it's solely for pizza then something like an Ooni would suffice. It's compact, economical and gets up to temp fast. It's major down side is it cant retain heat and is not suitable for any other forms of cooking.

The pizza ovens you are referring to (while called pizza ovens, they are actually "wood fired ovens") They require more fuel to heat and can take much longer to reach cooking temperature depending on size. They are also large and often need a brick constructed base to sit on.
The main benefit of them is not only to cook pizza but any thing else you would cook in a normal oven as well as BBQ, some can also act as a smoker but this is normally an addition to the main oven.

Like 200sols says good WFO can maintain cooking heat for several days and once fired require smaller amounts of fuel to keep up temperature so you could use it every day of the week if desired for minimal cost.

Another thing to note about WFO is they take a bit of practise to get the hang of. You need to check and maintain temperatures when cooking and each oven will have its own heat zones that you need to work around but that's all part of the fun.

Soldato
Are the Ooni ovens any good? I like the idea of a pizza oven but not sure I'd commit to it enough to have full install. Something portable like the Ooni would fit my lifestyle much better

Yeah they are brilliant. Mine has been used about 10 times in couple of weeks and it's so simple and fast. Once you're finished just stick the cover on and put it away.

Soldato
Soldato

Yep, really good. We have a Ooni 3 and it’s really easy and produces great results. It’s quite limited with what you can do, but I should think searing steaks or cooking naans would be straightforward.

The main advantage is the small size and ease of clean up. We don’t really have a place for a permanent oven, so it’s great to be able to pack it all away at the end.

@200sols - love the oven! One day in my Tuscan villa I’ll have something similar... I hope!

Last edited:
Associate
I just use one of those firebox pizza ovens you put on a bbq and thats done me very well over last summer took a few attempts to get right temps and amount of semolina to use on the base of the pizza but they come out well cooked and very crispy.

Soldato
Got my Uuni2s out yesterday made some lovely pizzas. Quite easy to burn them if you're not careful but small easy to use and easy to pack away. Good value for money at the time too.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
I cast mine, I got all the refractory and insulation items from https://www.kilnlinings.co.uk/

You can read about my build here https://community.fornobravo.com/fo...n-construction/414286-30-cast-corner-build-uk

And that forum has a wealth of great information for everything pizza related.

That looks awesome, I'm actually tempted with an ooni as a stop gap whilst I plan a proper build, thing then though is I may never get around to building one :rolleyes:

Are you a tradesman at all or novice as far as building/brick laying goes etc?

Edit - Meant to say I currently use a Weber kettle with a pizza stone, does pretty well but I can't deny having an itch for wood fired pizza opposed to charcoal. Without charcoal the Weber just won't get anywhere near as hot.

To those with ooni's are you running wood or pellets?

Last edited:
Soldato
We've got a Morso Forno and it's amazing. Had it for 5 years now. It's pricey at £999 but still worth it imo; will last forever, can be moved/taken with you and can be used as an oven, BBQ or open fire.

Soldato
Edit - Meant to say I currently use a Weber kettle with a pizza stone, does pretty well but I can't deny having an itch for wood fired pizza opposed to charcoal. Without charcoal the Weber just won't get anywhere near as hot.

To those with ooni's are you running wood or pellets?

Get some anthracite coal. What you'll find used in NY joints like tottonos.

Back
Top Bottom