Reputable phone repair companies?

Caporegime
I have managed to drop two Samsung galaxy A70's in the space of a couple of months. The screens developed a black spot which spread across the display until nothing was visible, I know the digitiser still works because I can answer calls on them. There's no obvious major physical damage to the front of the display.

I was going to take it to a local place I know but they are now closed obviously so will have to look for online companies, I was hoping someone could make a recommendation? My intention is to sell the phones afterwards since I already have another phone. Tbh I'm not sure whether to sell them damaged as they are or sell them after they have been repaired?

I have to say these Samsung phones seem really temperamental compared to my Oneplus 3, I dropped it loads of times with no damage whatsoever.

Soldato
This is why I am hesitant about moving from HTC to the likes of Huawei or Samsung. I simply can't find a reliable phone that I can trust and takes nice photographs - the Huawei P30 comes close, with the likes of Samsung A70 as a runner up.

Caporegime
No one have any suggestions? Perhaps better if moved to the mobile forum?

Most people have insurance or they go to the local shop.

A large business would simply charge so much you would be better off buying a new phone. So they don't really exist.

It's a bit like those places that repair apple hardware. Yes we can fix your MacBook Pro but a new screen is £1200 plus £200 labour and you cna buy a brand new one for £1500 so you will be better off just doing that.

I'd sell both as broken and take the hit.

You should think about insuring them. I get mine through my bank which also provides me with travel, road breakdown and something else all for £12 a month.

I've claimed on the insurance 3-4 times now and used the travel insurance plenty and when we had issue with our old car I used that about 12 times in the space of 3 months before I got rid so its paid for itself.

Soldato
This is why I am hesitant about moving from HTC to the likes of Huawei or Samsung. I simply can't find a reliable phone that I can trust and takes nice photographs - the Huawei P30 comes close, with the likes of Samsung A70 as a runner up.
As regards the Huawei ,i have the mate 20 pro ,i dropped it twice in spain doing my Camino ,once was from a top bunk onto stone tiles ,another time from eye level on to rocks ,it survived with very minor damage ,ie it still looks lush with the amazing screen and twilight glass back
i think its because it does look so nice that i havnt bothered with a case ,i am really clumsy and its hit afew supermarket floors also
what im saying is my Huawei is by far the most durable phone ive had ,drifting off topic also best camera and by far battery life (overnight charging not needed ever just minutes of supercharging to top up on a morning)

Soldato
Have you thought about repairing yourself? Mobile phone repairs are fiddly but there's often a ton of really good YouTube videos and can get the parts on ebay. A screen and digitiser costs about £85 on ebay.

Also plus 1 for Huawei I have dropped my phones loads and the one damage I ever had apart from small scratches on corners was a crack on the camera module (between cameras) on the p20 pro. It sadly got stolen and I'm on my Mrs p10 which she properly abused and is bent up at one corner (fell on back pocket) and has two tiny cracks on the top and bottom of the glass, this sounds bad but many phones would be unusable with the same amount of abuse.

Soldato
The A70s screen is £85 to buy from my suppliers. I can get them in stock within 3 days.

Expensive though.. Especially when hourly labour is added to the cost

Caporegime
OP
Most people have insurance or they go to the local shop.

A large business would simply charge so much you would be better off buying a new phone. So they don't really exist.

It's a bit like those places that repair apple hardware. Yes we can fix your MacBook Pro but a new screen is £1200 plus £200 labour and you cna buy a brand new one for £1500 so you will be better off just doing that.

I'd sell both as broken and take the hit.

You should think about insuring them. I get mine through my bank which also provides me with travel, road breakdown and something else all for £12 a month.

I've claimed on the insurance 3-4 times now and used the travel insurance plenty and when we had issue with our old car I used that about 12 times in the space of 3 months before I got rid so its paid for itself.

There are loads of online places that buy/repair phones, I'm not specifically asking about large businesses. Selling as broken on ebay isn't really an option as they need to be wiped first.

I've done the maths and insurance doesn't work out any better off for me, just won't be a second rate Samsung brand phone again!

Have you thought about repairing yourself? Mobile phone repairs are fiddly but there's often a ton of really good YouTube videos and can get the parts on ebay. A screen and digitiser costs about £85 on ebay.

Not worth the time investment and risk of just destroying the phone completely in the process.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are loads of online places that buy/repair phones, I'm not specifically asking about large businesses. Selling as broken on ebay isn't really an option as they need to be wiped first.

I've done the maths and insurance doesn't work out any better off for me, just won't be a second rate Samsung brand phone again!

Not worth the time investment and risk of just destroying the phone completely in the process.

See above a new screen is 1/3 rd of the cost of a new phone.

It's why smaller cash in hand places deal with them rather than a larger online digital sale.

Caporegime
Weird! I've had a Galaxy S7 for about 3 years or something now (basically since they came out) and it's been really robust! It gets an absolute battering and hasn't got so much as a scratch on the screen. Dropped it dozens of times.

Caporegime
OP
See above a new screen is 1/3 rd of the cost of a new phone.

It's why smaller cash in hand places deal with them rather than a larger online digital sale.

The cost is not the issue, there are loads of places offering to repair them for half of what I can sell them on ebay for. You seem to be confusing having an online presence with being a nationwide dealer.

Some of the biggest Youtube names in the independent repair industry are louis rossmann and ipad rehab who repair mobile devices for a fraction of an oem repair (and do a better job of it) despite being relatively small businesses.

Weird! I've had a Galaxy S7 for about 3 years or something now (basically since they came out) and it's been really robust! It gets an absolute battering and hasn't got so much as a scratch on the screen. Dropped it dozens of times.

These phones don't have a scratch on the screen either, the lcds seems to have been internally damaged by a low impact shock, one fell 1ft off the bed onto a carpeted floor, two phones breaking from similar force impacts seems to suggest the model is of low manufacturing quality. You can often drop phones with such force the glass is cracked and digitiser is half working without the display component failing.

Youd have to get it done by a Samsung official licensed repair place of it will void the warranty on the phone which would be a bit mean when you sell it.

Who buying used products expects warranty?

Last edited:
Soldato
Phone screens are dead easy to fix yourself, I've done them myself, with the hardest so far being an iphone 6s, just takes time and patience and costs considerably less money.

For the iphone a replacement screen cost me less than £20 quid on ebay and about an hour to fix. Apple wanted well over £100 to do it.

Soldato
Phone screens are dead easy to fix yourself, I've done them myself, with the hardest so far being an iphone 6s, just takes time and patience and costs considerably less money.

For the iphone a replacement screen cost me less than £20 quid on ebay and about an hour to fix. Apple wanted well over £100 to do it.

A70 is an OLED display, a genuine screen will cost a lot more than £20 - about £75-80

Fixing them is a bit of a pain as the back cover is glued on.

Back
Top Bottom