can anyone help me understand server case/rack dimensions?

Associate
Hi.

Got some server equipment I would like to tidy up in a rack and as this is not something I have done before would like some advise.

Equipment going in

4u Server PC
24 port TP-link Switch (not sure if this is 1u or 2u?)
Pfsense router (Currently a SSF PC but will be moving to a 1u or 2u case)
1U Patch Panel
1u Power Bar

I am thinking a 12U server rack should work for me but the bit I am not getting is the depth?

The 4u Server case is 550mm (including handles) so do I just get a 550mm deep server rack? the rack I am looking at has a glass door also..

Soldato
You should look at something at least 600mm deep, the server is 550 that would not take into account power cables, network cables etc being plugged into it. How will the server mount in the rack? Does it have rails if so what is the min length of the rails?

Associate
OP
You should look at something at least 600mm deep, the server is 550 that would not take into account power cables, network cables etc being plugged into it. How will the server mount in the rack? Does it have rails if so what is the min length of the rails?

Hi.

Yes that's the bit I didn't get, do I have to oversize the rack depth for clearance.. I know that now so have switch to looking at 600mm depth racks.

There is a rail pack specifically for the case I have.

Soldato
Generally I find people still decide to go down the Telco rack for everything because it's cheaper, but there's a difference between Telco racks and Server racks. Get a server rack if you're putting server equipment in it, you'll thank yourself later. I recently onboarded a client with multiple SANs and UCS Chassis in a telco rack and there was no room for a proper PDU, cables were straining like a constipated nun and it was overall just hell to work with.

Soldato
Hi.

Yes that's the bit I didn't get, do I have to oversize the rack depth for clearance.. I know that now so have switch to looking at 600mm depth racks.

There is a rail pack specifically for the case I have.

The rack depth should be longer than the longest item going into it, as a server rack I would be looking for a 800mm one which gives plenty of room in the rear

Back
Top Bottom