What midrange phone £250-350 (ish)

Soldato
Looking to upgrade from Moto G 5S+ which has done me well for a good few years.

Main features I can see being important:

- Continues to run smoothly with lots of apps installed, even after a couple of years. Not a fan of constantly upgrading.
- Good camera for general use. I'm no enthusiast, but do like taking photos. Main gripes are when the camera app takes several seconds to start up, or there's a noticeable delay hitting button to take the photo and it actually being taken. By which time the opportunity for a good photo is often missed. Anything from landscapes, wildlife, sports, kids playing, selfies, indoor/outdoor, low light, all things I like to capture.
- Good battery life. Don't mind charging, but do appreciate decent battery life.
- Fingerprint scanner, can't do without now.
- Storage, generally find SD card support is good for offline music/videos etc. Use Plex a lot.

Things I'm not too bothered about; gaming, particular brands, size.

The Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro has come onto my radar as being a possible candidate, but seems to be out of stock.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at? There seem to be dozens of options, so just trying to narrow down the list a bit.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. That was one of the many devices I've looked at too recently.

I think my biggest problem just now is not having a clear list of the best devices available in the above price range, to then make a decision as to whether something like the 4a would be worth the extra.

Man of Honour
Moto G8 Plus, I only upgraded because I dropped my G6 Plus on a roundabout and it got battered by at least 10 cars.
The G8 Plus takes great photos, the sound is excellent, the battery lasts ages and it's fast.

Soldato
OP
I do like the Moto G range and have had several over the years, I just wish they had something with better processor/more ram.

So many of the other options I look at seem to be hard to find in stock anywhere.

Soldato
OP
Think I've narrowed the options to:

Moto G8 power - £219.95 (no NFC)
Moto G8 plus - £239.95 (ok)
Pixel 3a - £329 (no SD card, only 64GB storage)
Pixel 3a XL - £359 (no SD card, only 64GB storage)
Pixel 4a £399 (Price TBC, not released yet - no SD card but maybe 128GB storage)

I think I'm leaning towards either the G8 plus or the Pixel 3a XL, but just not sure I can live with only 64GB storage. Would ideally like something like G8 plus but with 6GB ram, but only options then seem to be primarily Chinese/Indian models which aren't available from most UK-based retailers.

Anything I've missed?

Soldato
OP
Samsung a71? Just under £360 on Amazon.

I think we have a winner. Thank you.

Annoyingly it had been on my list but think I (incorrectly) ruled it out for using Exynos processor instead of Snapdragon, whilst also being a bit over budget.

Looking at the reviews the a71 sounds good and that price is close enough that I'm happy to stretch.

Man of Honour
A71 is a good call ;)
If you have someone you know with a samsung employee program, could get it for less
Also if you get though samsung direct can trade in your old phone

Associate
This thread got my interest.... Never looked at Samsung before but the A71 looks like a really good midrange handset.

Coming from an ageing OnePlus 3, what would be the best choice - something like the A71 or the more powerful Realme X2 pro?

I'm by no means a power user but value decent battery life, a decent Android skin and reasonable camera. NFC is a must. Whatever I go with needs to last me another 3+ years like the OnePlus 3 has done.

Back
Top Bottom