X4 Foundations

Soldato
Do you have any of the exceptional mods left to craft?

Ive done the research for everything, when it comes to the top end mods the only have I ahve so far is the chassis mod. The parts for the top tier mods are hard to fund, but if I am honest I havnt properly gone looking, I have a few medium tier mods and all of the lower end mods.

Soldato
OP
No idea what im building at my phq, its got a dock its got a spp on tho dunno if its actually making ec and no idea how to set the sell price or restrict it so the ec are not sold. Mission says expand spp so ordered another next to it and i think the 2 storage bays arnt done yet. Looked at logistical window but im no accountant or anything so the top part is confusing me and the bottom bit im not sure what to do there either. x2 was miles easier to set up a basic spp in seizewell back in the day, easy to use menus and neatly laid out.

Associate
No idea what im building at my phq, its got a dock its got a spp on tho dunno if its actually making ec and no idea how to set the sell price or restrict it so the ec are not sold. Mission says expand spp so ordered another next to it and i think the 2 storage bays arnt done yet. Looked at logistical window but im no accountant or anything so the top part is confusing me and the bottom bit im not sure what to do there either. x2 was miles easier to set up a basic spp in seizewell back in the day, easy to use menus and neatly laid out.

If i'm understanding that you are saying.

For a basic EC production your need the solar cell production but also a container storage module and a manager once you have them off it will go you can see whats going on the logistics menu and set prices if you wish but its normally done automatically.
With the Phq make sure you have all three storage modules container, solids, liquids as your need it to do research.

Soldato
If i'm understanding that you are saying.

For a basic EC production your need the solar cell production but also a container storage module and a manager once you have them off it will go you can see whats going on the logistics menu and set prices if you wish but its normally done automatically.
With the Phq make sure you have all three storage modules container, solids, liquids as your need it to do research.
@SkeeterUK

PHQ. Just build only the needed storage to do research. Do not go down the route for building production modules for the stuff needed.
Even for energy cells there is a TEL station just seconds away from the station selling very cheaply.

For research see what's needed in total (if you want can post a list), buy 1 unit of it from each at nearby stations, or the big Teladi trade station in Grand Exchange III, and store it in PHQ. See what you need in research and set buy amount orders restricted to faction (aka yourselves) and assign one-two freighters to the station. (put a manager to the station).

The freighters, will go out buy at cheapest prices the goods you need for research automatically. Before hand, click the research you want to do and Boso Ta will let you know when finishes the research to click the button again for the next round.

New research is that easy, except the first missions needed for the modifications were you need to talk to people, or do some race against time with the Paranid Interceptor :D

Soldato
Are there any tips for speeding up building?

Depends what you mean "speeding".
If you own your own construction ship, with full build drones, is the fastest way to construct stations. If that 1h needed to build a 10 module factory seems too long for you, craft SETA and use it. However I do not see the reason to use SETA in X4 considering how many things we have to do in the mean time while a station is been built.

Also do not build massive complexes. Only 1 production type per station and build supply lines.

Soldato
Also do not build massive complexes. Only 1 production type per station and build supply lines.

On this subject, I've read about the mass transit, if you build your stations all within 12km of each other?

Is it that straightforward?

In theory then, if you had one of every type of production within range of each other they will all just work out which resources are needed? For example if you have a shield component production, all the energy cells, superfluid coolant, plasma coils etc will just appear in that station transferred automatically?

In theory then it's like a "detached" mega complex?

Soldato
On this subject, I've read about the mass transit, if you build your stations all within 12km of each other?

Is it that straightforward?

In theory then, if you had one of every type of production within range of each other they will all just work out which resources are needed? For example if you have a shield component production, all the energy cells, superfluid coolant, plasma coils etc will just appear in that station transferred automatically?

In theory then it's like a "detached" mega complex?

25km is the distance and yes. Not "automatically" but with cargo drones if stations have some. Otherwise the freighters you have assigned to the stations.
You need to restric buy offers & 0 prices to your own faction and everything that moves cargo will do the job :)

I also personally prefer, to build the stations in the same order as the logical production view is. eg Mineral & EC to the left or right. Graphene on the middle and Hull parts to the right/left of the production (depending orientation) and so on :)

Soldato
I concur with Panos over complexes; having built a couple of minor ones and then a major one yesterday, the larger ones take a long time! The only advantage is that the large complexes show up as only one station no matter how many different wares they produce so it clutters the screen less, also large complexes look pretty cool.

Soldato
When can you assign a trader to the build storage for a new station? I've got a station under construction with factories nearby that produce the wares it needs. I want to assign a trade ship so that it can grab the wares automatically, but there is no option... The station hasn't actually started construction yet; I've got my station builder assigned and cash in the bank but no options... I'm manually trading wares from my station but that is tedious :(

Soldato
When can you assign a trader to the build storage for a new station? I've got a station under construction with factories nearby that produce the wares it needs. I want to assign a trade ship so that it can grab the wares automatically, but there is no option... The station hasn't actually started construction yet; I've got my station builder assigned and cash in the bank but no options... I'm manually trading wares from my station but that is tedious :(
Ah interesting, that only works once you've created your first module... How odd... Probably also won't work until you've got a manager... What's the right build pattern then so you can assign a manager straight up? Presume you can't add a manager until you've got a dock?

Soldato

Haul the items first manually and when the first module is built assign it to work. If you want to simplify constructions etc, always place the first module to be the dock. Land on it, assign a manager from your crew (pick another one from a station). That way even the worst manager, will send the freighter 2-3 systems away to get the best deals for the building module :)

Also is the reason when planning to build new stations I have already 3 freighters filled up with the basic goods (Hull Parts, Claytronics etc) and dump them all to the build storage. Then another freighter is assigned to the build storage while the 3 above going to start load and dump the goods to the next station I build. And do on.

Usually I do that while sitting on the construction ship dock area or near the drone ports looking at the drones zooming around :D

Soldato
25km is the distance and yes. Not "automatically" but with cargo drones if stations have some. Otherwise the freighters you have assigned to the stations.
You need to restric buy offers & 0 prices to your own faction and everything that moves cargo will do the job :)

I also personally prefer, to build the stations in the same order as the logical production view is. eg Mineral & EC to the left or right. Graphene on the middle and Hull parts to the right/left of the production (depending orientation) and so on :)

I concur with Panos over complexes; having built a couple of minor ones and then a major one yesterday, the larger ones take a long time! The only advantage is that the large complexes show up as only one station no matter how many different wares they produce so it clutters the screen less, also large complexes look pretty cool.

I'm going to go for a mix, I appreciate this is not quite as efficient but I'm okay with it.

I'm planning on building a station city in one system building everything, but I'm going to use a mix of medium factories, so for example a shield component factory, hull part factory, drone component factory etc, with each factory being self sufficient in its parts all the way back to the raw materials.

I know this will double up or probably even triple etc on some of the base productions like graphene etc but I think it'll be cool.

The system I'm setting up shop in is family Zhin, which I've taken from the Xenon who in turn took it from the ZYA and which in my game has every raw material in the belt, bar Ice, which is next door. It even has nividium.

Soldato
I'm going to go for a mix, I appreciate this is not quite as efficient but I'm okay with it.

I'm planning on building a station city in one system building everything, but I'm going to use a mix of medium factories, so for example a shield component factory, hull part factory, drone component factory etc, with each factory being self sufficient in its parts all the way back to the raw materials.

I know this will double up or probably even triple etc on some of the base productions like graphene etc but I think it'll be cool.

The system I'm setting up shop in is family Zhin, which I've taken from the Xenon who in turn took it from the ZYA and which in my game has every raw material in the belt, bar Ice, which is next door. It even has nividium.

If you build multiple end to end, consider how many miners you will need and the micromanagement of each complex to make sure they do not run out of capacity. Let alone you need to manually allocate storage for each product otherwise you will get the container packed with eg Energy Cells and Silicon Waffers and no space for microchips.

And this beckomes more complex when you build habitats to boost production

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Just as I think I'm getting to grips with this game... lol still early days, I thought the UI was bad in previous games but no, it seems they have gone out of their way to make it worse.

Soldato
So I've just decided to look at taking over a Xenon controlled sector. Seems fairly empty so scouted with a paranid scout... found a few defence stations and solar stations and a few Ks... dropped two advanced satellites near the jump gate towards civilisation and moved my fleet through... Set up a circle formation with 12 Behmoth Destroyers around the collosus carrier... and then started to build a defense station by the gate, after a while the ks came to investigate the complete destruction of thier ships and got pounded.. the fleet is destroying everything.. I'm OOS while this is going on as its much better, especially against capital ships.. IS the ships just do random stuff :(

Once the defense stations has been completed I'll move the nomad in to the system and secure the gate and slowly take over the sector... The Xenon own the 3 sectors and the only way out is through this gate so if I can control it then I should get 3 sectors to myself!

So my continuing quest for space; I took company regard properly. Built a 100+ turret and administration centre near the northern gate and slowly removed the stations with my Command Fleet (collossus (& 4 piggybacked Gorgon's) and 12 destroyers)... Built another 100+ turret defence station (& s/m maintenance centre) at the gate to Scale Plate Green I to protect from the Wharf there; it keeps on kicking K's through the gate but they last ~10s before they're dead. Moved on to turqouise sea X now; camped the gate in to Scale Plate Green I with the same command fleet while my defence fleet of 6 destroyers take out the rest of the stations... working well so far and have another 100+ defence station right on the gate! I should get everything up to Scale Plate Green I for a good base!

Man of Honour
Just completed the showdown involving the Split storyline. That was one crazy firefight. 2 fully stocked Raptors and 10 Rattlesnakes. It was glorious. I've also learnt a lot about fleet management and combat groups.

I disagree with this. You just end up with a long messy list of stations. Its more efficient to have a few larger complexes. I'd have hundreds of factories in that list.

Advantage of plonking a defence platform right on a gate, set your ships to defend the station, they'll effectively camp the gate.

Yup, thats what I've done with the impending Xenon invasion. Nothing gets through.

Thats why you have a few on the go at a time. You'll need a few to cover the 5 jump radius around them. I have 6 main complexes feeding into the main factions, its much neater. Its efficient too - for a long time you'll only just have enough money to keep them all building and you'll only just have enough wares in the universe too. Once you have surplus money/resources you've reached your peak factory building anyway.

Some shots from the last few days:

This was one of my complexes at about half it's size:

Last edited:
Soldato
3rd part of the video series. BUILD :)

Btw having spend the last 2 days designing and working on the AtoB transfer mod, can understand why the guy from Egosoft said it was too hard to be implemented in game.

I stuck on various things including
a) Save file. There is no way to save a repeatable trip into the save file. Need to create a second save file to store this data.

b) There are so many parameters involved like profitability & available goods on both sides. Contrary to previous X games, X4 has 100% fully simulated economy. Selling goods between 2 stations can be unprofitable from the second trip, or demand collapse after the first trip.

Need things to consider like how many times need to do the trip, do I ask more information from the end user (aka player) when to stop transferring the goods. How about pick a different station to sell the goods if profitability falls over.

So decided the automated methods of Auto Trade and Distribute Wares removes these considerations and are far superior solutions.

Also from my experience decided when I need to move goods, L size fast freighters is the way to go. Can move everything in a single round trip and deliver it to the build stations. And Shuyaku Sentinel is the way to go. 3800m/s travel speed with 44,400m3 capacity is insane fast and one of the bigst ships. Next one up is the Incarcatura but at half speed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom