TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
You are living in the past and it’s not just a statement as there is plenty of evidence to back it up

You've went to some effort to post all that. I've skimmed it and although I'm seeing near 20 year old articles in places, I'll do your post justice and have a proper read a little later when I've got the time.

Now, here's the rub - and bear in mind I haven't yet read through what is a fair list there. Can you post similar links detailing Netflix bias? Sky bias? Are there any university studies into Mail Online content?

Where are they, these articles holding them all to account?

Soldato
Now, here's the rub - and bear in mind I haven't yet read through what is a fair list there. Can you post similar links detailing Netflix bias? Sky bias? Are there any university studies into Mail Online content?
Netflix are not a news channel and have a wide range of content not sure there is a way reason to go into them. I guess we could look at them from a content point of view but they are miles ahead of BBC from that aspect in most areas. Sports being one area they are behind. I am not sure if there are public reports on ratios of content. Not only do they have a higher amount of new entertainment content but it also tends to be higher quality in production value and in the way its delivered to end users. For example 100% on demand often with 4k with HDR with Atmos sound which is last time I looked superior to what BBC offer.

“Sky bias? Are there any university studies into Mail Online content?
Where are they, these articles holding them all to account?”
There are corresponding wiki pages and Criticisms of Sky UK for example. Now I could be wrong but as far as I am aware in the past 15 years Sky News hasn't been caught making anywhere near as many fake story as the BBC have. Another factor is although on a downward trend BBC is still the most watched source in the UK and due to that it get more studies.

The Ofcom report 2018 is new enough to still be valid and its about all media consumption in the UK. They go into channel 4/5 ITV, Sky News just as much as the BBC. Granted there is a lot of data in there which is why I gave a couple of pages numbers. I don’t expect you to read the entire thing. But once you get chance you will see it’s not BBC focused but wide ranging.

As Ofcom show, BBC do have some strong points but they have been falling over the years and in a lot of areas are now in the same range as channel 4/5 ITV, Sky News. BBC's own director and annual report from 2019 acknowledged this as well.

Picking out some select examples from Ofcom

“Good for regional/local news” BBC 74% ITV 79%
“Has high calibre journalists/ presenters” BBC 78% ITV 73% Sky News 76%
“Is impartial” BBC 61% ITV 68%, Sky 65%

On the other link from my other post the Fake news and deliberate misrepresentations by BBC are all from 2009 and onwards. The old BBC would never have made completely fake story’s up about Primark and child labor then reported them as true. The old BBC would never have made one sided documentaries to the degree the modern BBC does. I have no idea what happened but it all started around 2005 and has been getting worse since.

To be clear I am not saying BBC is a poor choice. Only that they are nothing special anymore and at the same level as the other ok channels like channel 4/5 ITV, Sky News. In past BBC was noticeable better.

EDIT: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/157914/uk-news-consumption-2019-report.pdf
Newer link 2019

BBC has dropped 4% in the most used news source. Still in lead but on a downward trend.

The impartial rating have dropped again now 2nd worst. 61% last year now 59%.

“Is impartial” BBC 59% ITV 65%, Sky 68% channel 4 60% page 74.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tv licence brigade all over me for cancelling my direct debit, even though I’ve paid for this years licence.

Douchebags they are, just because I don’t want to start paying for next years licence early.

Soldato
Tv licence brigade all over me for cancelling my direct debit, even though I’ve paid for this years licence.

Douchebags they are, just because I don’t want to start paying for next years licence early.

And that's just a taste of their behaviour.
I actually wouldn't mind is I got 1 letter a year telling me the facts. But to get upwards of 2 a month with threats on and almost con artist level of wording is just not on.

Associate
Got an email the other day that they have matched my email on TV license account (obviously saying that I don't watch crap) with my iPlayer account. Cheeky sods, had to delete my iPlayer accounts and create a fake alias :D

Back
Top Bottom