How do you set up your gaming PC? Explain like I am 10

Associate
Hi

I was wondering if you put OS on a separate drive and games on another?

And why am I using two routers? (Yes the noob is strong in this OP)

I have a V/Media box set as a wireless router where the tinternet comes in - with a wire plugged into a linskys set as a wireless router then my PC plugs into the linskys - I get an 8 ping to the server in Manchester 25 miles away.

I have tried port forwarding on both routers - I barely no what I am doing - but had a go. For instance I struggle to figure out that the IP address of the linskys should be and what it should be for the V/m box but I do no the IP of my PC!

I have 1080p monitor at 60hz, W10, a 2500k and 1080gtx 16GB ram - it is cool and dust free - I have been playing Warzone which is ace but keeps crashing back to desktop after 5 mins which is frustrating - it is not just me so I hope it is a game issue.

I need to reinstall W10 anyway - a fresh install - and a fresh install of office because Word takes ages to open up because it appears to have lost a part - I have office - I will reinstall - it has been about 2 years since I did a refresh.

Do I need 2 routers?

Do I put my OS on one drive and games on another?

How do you set up your gaming rig?

Router
PC drives

Many thanks in advice for any Pro tips BW pod

Soldato
First thing, have you got a RGB LED keyboard and mouse? Oh and headphones, case fans and even some monitors have little lighty uppy bits on the bezel, seems to be that these are essential for gamers :p

You should have your virgin router set in modem mode and then have your other router do all the work. If you search for it you'll find guides and it's all very simple.

Install your games wherever, some put them on a different drive to keep things organised but it wont make any difference performance wise.

I'm sure others will give you a more detailed response on how I'm completely wrong and that games on a separate drive is the difference between life and death :o

Associate
OP
Haha I have not got the essential lights! I can see the appeal but I am too old and I like the dark. I have a blue circle on a very old Lian Li PC case which is cool. I have a daskeyboard - mechanical because I do a lot of typing (it is insanely good and was a luxury from OCUK) - and a Razor mouse which does cycle through the colours which is cool - all wired. All low key for me.

I have put led strips - remote kind off ebay in friends/family's PC if they have been unlucky enough to have me as their tech guru for their entry level PCs - so far no house fires - a good sign.

I know how to set it to modem setting in the V/media menu so that is simple - I will have a look thank you - but I will loose the wireless facility in that part of the house? Not that it is a huge house - it is a bungalow.

Got it - OS and games fine in one drive, thanks Puzzled.

Soldato
I'd assume the virgin box is being run in modem only mode, and the linsky box is doing everything else. Were you really drunk when you set it up, or did someone else do it? Couldn't you ask them?

Soldato
I just have my W10 (and **** like browsers, GIMP, Open Office and other applications) installed on a 256GB SSD and my games on a standard 1TB HDD (will be replacing it with a SSD when I can be arsed). As for my router, the phoneline comes into my router which is sat next to my PC and wired in. Another LAN port goes to a homeplug.

Man of Honour
If you put the OS and key stuff on a seperate drive it can make backing it up more convenient. That's all I can think of for nowadays. If you have a very small SSD and a HDD it makes sense to put the OS and key stuff on the SSD and games and other stuff on the HDD.

My setup is a mess at the moment. I've got a 500GB SSD as my boot disk with OS, most non-game programs and some games on it, a 250GB SSD with some other games on it and a 1TB HDD with some more games on it. The HDD is next to go because HDDs make some noise and every other part of my PC is inaudible from ~1m away and that's what I want. It would probably be most efficient for me to move the OS and non-game programs to the 250GB SSD and use a 500GB SSD and 1TB SSD for games. But I probably won't.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

Angilion - easy backing up is a good point - I have lots of things I can't lose - I use two caddys with ssds in - I keep two copies of my files - takes a few minutes each week and I have found it the best way that I will actually do.

Back
Top Bottom