Youtube & Ads

Soldato
Guys what's the 3rd party Android YouTube app? I remember ages ago one was released that was supposedly quite good, lightweight and removed all the crap from the default app. I'd like to try it if possible.

Associate
Thanks, all signed up, very easy and quick. Just got to wait a month and see if it actually bills my card correctly as I think i'm on a 1 month free trial for now.

rp2000

Is there any danger with this - locked Google account potentially?

I'm well up for this but just want to make sure.

Kids are on YouTube all the time, and I can link my Sonos system to Google Play Music and YouTube Music, so it would be an absolute bargain.

Caporegime
Is there any danger with this - locked Google account potentially?

I'm well up for this but just want to make sure.

Kids are on YouTube all the time, and I can link my Sonos system to Google Play Music and YouTube Music, so it would be an absolute bargain.
No idea to be honest. Did some searching around the net and there is loads of guides on doing this in many different languages, so I imagine this practice is pretty widespread, since it was released in India. Worst they would do is cancel your subscription I reckon.

Edit: Quick update after using it:

1) Youtube main app - as you would expect, no ads, picture in picture enabled and background play. All suggestions and searches are as normal.
2) Youtube music app - Top charts, Todays hits, Featured artists and other playlists are Indian oriented. The section where you pick Artists you like is also the same, with a few western artists in it. If you search 90s hits, for example a lot of the playlists it finds are Indian.
3) GPM app - Similar to 2).

No big deal as I imagine all the global content is there if you search, it's just not great for discovery and suggestions (although maybe it will change as you use the apps more).

I primarily wanted the extra Youtube main app functions so still a bargain for me! I still get a music selection similar to spotify/apple music, I just need to search a bit to find the content I want.

rp2000

Last edited:
Associate
What about those of us with iPhones and iPads?

I run ublock on my desktop but it's a pain with the adds on my phone.

£12 a month? No chance YouTube, if no one paid this then they would have had to change, people paying for it are just lining their pockets.

It's ok, we all make bad decisions in life. Not much help for you then I'm afraid, unless you ditch the locked down stuff and come over to freedom land.

Associate
On chromecast i've never seen a single advert, but Twitch never works on the chromecast. But along with YT, Twitch is getting worse anyway. Works poorly and Amazon owned anyway, baffles me why there still isn't an alternative there also. Vimeo is a good YT alternative, and been around a long time, but it's not really the same kind of site.

I do like that some youtubers are sponsored and do their own type ads within their videos.

If YT premium was a requirement i think i'd never touch it.

Can't comment on the amount of ads as don't see them :p
Even VPNing at £1 a month seems more hassle than needed imo.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
No idea to be honest. Did some searching around the net and there is loads of guides on doing this in many different languages, so I imagine this practice is pretty widespread, since it was released in India. Worst they would do is cancel your subscription I reckon.

Edit: Quick update after using it:

1) Youtube main app - as you would expect, no ads, picture in picture enabled and background play. All suggestions and searches are as normal.
2) Youtube music app - Top charts, Todays hits, Featured artists and other playlists are Indian oriented. The section where you pick Artists you like is also the same, with a few western artists in it. If you search 90s hits, for example a lot of the playlists it finds are Indian.
3) GPM app - Similar to 2).

No big deal as I imagine all the global content is there if you search, it's just not great for discovery and suggestions (although maybe it will change as you use the apps more).

I primarily wanted the extra Youtube main app functions so still a bargain for me! I still get a music selection similar to spotify/apple music, I just need to search a bit to find the content I want.

rp2000

Not seen any remotely Indian content in my music app, strange that you are finding that. I absolutely love this bonus feature, i never thought about it really and didn't even rush to install it. Fantastic in the car, so much slicker than using the regular YouTube app for music, and nice to be able to turn the video off too.

If i search for the same sot of search as you, 90/00s throwback, then it comes up with roughly the same hits as the regular YouTube app, certainly nothing Indian there!

I subscribed to Family, and actually got my first bill after trial the other day. It billed as: "GOOGLE *YouTubePremium £1.99 - Detail Purchase - international of 189 INR RATE 0.0105"

Caporegime
Anyone noticed a significant increase in advertisements "within" YouTube videos lately?

Im all for you tube content creators making money from their vids,However it seems lately whoever i watch im seeing at least 2 to 3 advertisements interrupting,And its always Ad 1 of 2 and they aint short either,yes you can skip but if you do skip you'll then be greeted with the same in the next video,im talking about on a TV here,Not on the computer.

I did look into the YouTube premium,as i hear this does completely do away with ads,But at £11.99 month?

So yeah,just wondering if anyone else has noticed this significant increase in ads and whats your view on it,Too many ads? feel YT premium is too costly?

£2 a month from india. I haven't seen an ad in months. I couldn't go back to normal youtube now i feel. Plus I get access to their full music catalogue and can give access to 4 other family members. I also have a 3 google speakers in the home, chromecast, smart tv's, etc. It's well worth the sub for the music alone the ads being removed are the icing on the cake.

Caporegime
Of course :)..my point is that pi-hole can’t cope with YouTube to my understanding?

I love its interface, very nice slick product, but being DNS based in hindsight how can it cope with embedded adverts?

If you have somehow found a way to get it working I’d be most interested, all of my trawling of reddit hasn’t come up with much which seems any good

You can't block youtube ads through pi-hole as they are hosted where the videos are. so if you block them you will no longer be able to view videos as well

Caporegime
Not seen any remotely Indian content in my music app, strange that you are finding that. I absolutely love this bonus feature, i never thought about it really and didn't even rush to install it. Fantastic in the car, so much slicker than using the regular YouTube app for music, and nice to be able to turn the video off too.

If i search for the same sot of search as you, 90/00s throwback, then it comes up with roughly the same hits as the regular YouTube app, certainly nothing Indian there!

Click Hotlist in the app, and tell me what you see.
Also, under the Home Tab scroll down to Top Charts and see what you see.
Search just for "00s" and see if you see any Indian content in the "Playlists" results.

If you use Google Play Music, select "Browse Stations" and "Top Charts" from the side menu.

The searches will change over time, I guess, as I like artists and tracks. And I can search for any playlists manually anyway and ignore the Indian ones.

It doesn't bother me anyway, just wanted to highlight for other people thinking of subscribing that it is different from a UK or USA subscription.

I only get the Indian stuff if I go to YT Music or go Google Music and look at Top Charts but I dont use them anyway.
Exactly, no big deal.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom