3900X strange temps

Associate
Okay thank you, I will try that.

Could I get you to post your curve? I know the coolers are not identical but just to get an idea of it.

Coming from an old intel cpu that only went over 60c under heavy load, the thought of having a light load causomg temps in the 70's is gonna take som time to get used to :p

Here is my fan curve, since I have a different (larger) air cooler it is slightly different that I thought it was but basically it runs at 80% all the time.

https://imgur.com/B2kZJ3o

Associate
OP
Did a 6 min AIDA64 stability test (CPU, FPU, Cache and memory), hitting an avetage of 83c and a max of 93c.

Is this okay?

I know that stress tests are "synthetical" as no real use will put that strain on the system, so hot temps are to be expected.

Associate
Did a 6 min AIDA64 stability test (CPU, FPU, Cache and memory), hitting an avetage of 83c and a max of 93c.

Is this okay?

I know that stress tests are "synthetical" as no real use will put that strain on the system, so hot temps are to be expected.

I have never done that test but breaking 90C would be a bit worrying for me however, benching is generally much harder on the system that real life use. What kind of temps do you get while gaming? I can get anywhere from 70-80C while gaming but my averages are usually in the 50-60C range.

Associate
OP
I have never done that test but breaking 90C would be a bit worrying for me however, benching is generally much harder on the system that real life use. What kind of temps do you get while gaming? I can get anywhere from 70-80C while gaming but my averages are usually in the 50-60C range.

I will have to test it with multiple games.

Running TimeSpy gets the temp up in the early 70's.
Just finished a session of Metro Exudus (thank you free Xbox live pass) and the temp was very stable at 58c. Exiting to windows and the jumping up and down is back. I don't get that.

Thank you for your fan curve. I am surprised that you can run that high rpm and find it silent. In reviews the Scythe is quite similar to the noctua regarding noise, also at 100 RPM, but I find it way to noisy. I have set a curve that runs from 40% to 50% until 60c and from there to 100% at 70c.

Soldato
which power plan do you have selected in windows?, regarding the temp spikes with your cpu, that will be down to background processes that are accessing the cpu, hence the jumps, try disabling any non essential background processes. Importantly too make sure windows is fully up to date, i'm sure a update hit that addressed how amd cpu's were utilized with in windows (could also stop the temp spikes)

you could go into your bios and set a manual vcore of around 1.3v and leave everything else on auto and see if the temp spikes stop and see if the cpu will boost over 3.6ghz, for the longevity of the cpu keep temps below 70 degrees either stock or under load.

Soldato
I don't know what options you have in gigabyte bios, but try searching for fan smoothing or fan step up and adjust how long a temp has to be before it changes speed.
Failing that, change your cpu fan to react based on the vrm mos temp sensor instead of cpu temp (might need to use a different header).
These may be available in software control if not in bios.

As for voltage, in your bios you can adjust the vcore and soc voltage offsets to negative numbers, try - 0.05 to start, if you crash, try -0.025, if you don't crash, try reducing it more etc.

Pbo is pushing it further, so won't help with temps. It's precision boost options if you want to disable it.

While the cpu doesn't throttle until 95c, it boosts higher at lower temps, even below ambient. So cooler = faster.

Voltage is high at idle because its boosting individual cores "up to" 4.6 and the core its doing that on is always changing hence fluctuations in temp as the heat moves around. But that voltage is only going to that core, not all cores.

My fans go between 0 and 25%, and under sustained rendering up to 35% sometimes! But my temps also never go above 80c on artificial load (4.1 max clock), or more like <=65-70c on real renders/folding etc.
Stock(Pbo etc enabled) gives me 4.2+ but not quite 4.3 on all core loads, so if you're running much higher temps that speed drops off fast above 75.
But that's all because my 3900x and 2070super are cooled by 3x360 rads... Specifically so I get true silent PC :)

Hopefully something there will help.

Associate
I had the same issue when i set my 3600 up and the temps are the same as yours spiking all the time and from all the looking around asking questions its normal on ryzen.
This is what i did and it doesn't ramp up and down so erratically.
You basically set your fan curve to what you want then change the set up/down delay to longer and it fixed my issues.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...e-temperature-fluctuation.260615/post-4142118

Associate
OP
I don't know what options you have in gigabyte bios, but try searching for fan smoothing or fan step up and adjust how long a temp has to be before it changes speed.
Failing that, change your cpu fan to react based on the vrm mos temp sensor instead of cpu temp (might need to use a different header).
These may be available in software control if not in bios.

As for voltage, in your bios you can adjust the vcore and soc voltage offsets to negative numbers, try - 0.05 to start, if you crash, try -0.025, if you don't crash, try reducing it more etc.

Pbo is pushing it further, so won't help with temps. It's precision boost options if you want to disable it.

While the cpu doesn't throttle until 95c, it boosts higher at lower temps, even below ambient. So cooler = faster.

Voltage is high at idle because its boosting individual cores "up to" 4.6 and the core its doing that on is always changing hence fluctuations in temp as the heat moves around. But that voltage is only going to that core, not all cores.

My fans go between 0 and 25%, and under sustained rendering up to 35% sometimes! But my temps also never go above 80c on artificial load (4.1 max clock), or more like <=65-70c on real renders/folding etc.
Stock(Pbo etc enabled) gives me 4.2+ but not quite 4.3 on all core loads, so if you're running much higher temps that speed drops off fast above 75.
But that's all because my 3900x and 2070super are cooled by 3x360 rads... Specifically so I get true silent PC :)

Hopefully something there will help.

I had the same issue when i set my 3600 up and the temps are the same as yours spiking all the time and from all the looking around asking questions its normal on ryzen.
This is what i did and it doesn't ramp up and down so erratically.
You basically set your fan curve to what you want then change the set up/down delay to longer and it fixed my issues.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...e-temperature-fluctuation.260615/post-4142118

Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

PBO was set to auto. The crappy manual does not specify weather this is off or on. I disabled it and so far I have not seen any difference, so my guess is that auto = off.

I have not played around with the volt offset yet, but will test this during the day.

Here is my current fan curve. There is a setting called "temperature interval" which is explained as "prevents abrubt speed changes due to slight changes in temperature". Unsure weather this is the smoothing/delay you are talking about, but I have maxed it out now. Have not found anything else in bios.

https://imgur.com/VOljATh

Associate
OP
Allright so I've done some testing.

umjKov6.png

10 min light load: Okay, it's hard to do a 100% fair comparison, but I tried to have the same starting point and performing the same tasks (youtube, surfing, skype and steam running).

Stock: Clearly not the most optimal setting.

Offset: Started with -0.048 and when that was fine, tried -0.072. Maybe it can go lower. Don't know why the temp in Timespy was so much lower.

All core: Started with 4,2 Ghz @ 1.25v and that crashed so tried 4,15 Ghz @ 1.275v. It is in this profile I find the temps to be most stable, although I will have to do further testing. Could consider trying to drop the vcore.

How would you test it for stability? Did a 10 min Aida64 stress test as you can see.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess the fan interval is the equivalent option.
As for stability testing, for quick testing 10 min stress test is fine. If you can get it stable for that you can probably minorly tune it for any issues that show up on longer runs.
Do an hour or 2 including memory testing once your at a clock speed your happy with/can't get it 10 min stable at higher. Then just make tiny adjustments as needed, and use PC normally. If you get a bsod then up voltage a notch or lower clock a notch and carry on again.

Most chips only hit 4.2 all core, with some getting 4.3, rarely anything higher. Hence why I haven't bothered clocking mine up since it boosts to basically there anyway.

How is the fan behaving? If its still ramping up a lot, try raising your entire curve, so instead of it going 40% to 100% in 5c or so, you have it at 50% at say, 50c, 65% at 60c and then 100% at 75c. Should make the noise level change less harsh and noticeable while being quiet, unless the fans are poop.
I checked the graph you posted about cooler noise, and yours is "quiet" according to that, but I consider 30db too loud unless under heavy load! Also the max rpm being 1250 outputting that much noise seems high, I expect that they are only quiet due to low rpm. You could be better off buying some proper silent fans which have 20 to 30db noise at more like 2000rpm.
Noise blockers are great, as are noctua, avoid corsair etc. They are very average but cost silly money.

That way you get more air moved at the lower rpm, 50% would be moving similar to what yours move at 100% (obv it's not that simple but w/e). And they will be very very quiet at that rate, while not allowing the temps to get as high so not needing to spin up higher.

Did anyone ask about your case airflow too? A clear fan or a couple if filtered in the front and then a couple extracting in the rear/top should be fine

Associate
OP
I guess the fan interval is the equivalent option.
As for stability testing, for quick testing 10 min stress test is fine. If you can get it stable for that you can probably minorly tune it for any issues that show up on longer runs.
Do an hour or 2 including memory testing once your at a clock speed your happy with/can't get it 10 min stable at higher. Then just make tiny adjustments as needed, and use PC normally. If you get a bsod then up voltage a notch or lower clock a notch and carry on again.

Most chips only hit 4.2 all core, with some getting 4.3, rarely anything higher. Hence why I haven't bothered clocking mine up since it boosts to basically there anyway.

How is the fan behaving? If its still ramping up a lot, try raising your entire curve, so instead of it going 40% to 100% in 5c or so, you have it at 50% at say, 50c, 65% at 60c and then 100% at 75c. Should make the noise level change less harsh and noticeable while being quiet, unless the fans are poop.
I checked the graph you posted about cooler noise, and yours is "quiet" according to that, but I consider 30db too loud unless under heavy load! Also the max rpm being 1250 outputting that much noise seems high, I expect that they are only quiet due to low rpm. You could be better off buying some proper silent fans which have 20 to 30db noise at more like 2000rpm.
Noise blockers are great, as are noctua, avoid corsair etc. They are very average but cost silly money.

That way you get more air moved at the lower rpm, 50% would be moving similar to what yours move at 100% (obv it's not that simple but w/e). And they will be very very quiet at that rate, while not allowing the temps to get as high so not needing to spin up higher.

Did anyone ask about your case airflow too? A clear fan or a couple if filtered in the front and then a couple extracting in the rear/top should be fine

Thank you once again for a detailed response.

As for now, I am quite happy with the new fan curve and the reduced noice. The CPU rarely goes above 60c under normal use. Going to a negative offside / manual OC has made the temps more stable. I also suspect that changing the minimal processor state from 99% to 5% in the ryzen balanced power plan has had a positive effect.

I have yet to decide on an offset or all core clock. I do not do that much core heavy work so maybe sacrificing single core speed is the wrong way to go, however it does seem to be more stable under light load. Why did I buy a 3900X then? Wanted to be as future prof as possible and why the hell not :p

As for air flow, I actually only have the standard 1x front fan and 1x out fan that came with my Fractal Design R5 case. However, there is not a big difference with an open case or not. Maybe I will replace/add fans if it makes sense.

Associate
OP
Regarding PBO, I have found that there are two different settings in the Gigabyte BIOS.

AMD CBS-XFR Enhancement- Precision Boost Overdrive.......Auto Disable Enable Manual

AMD Overclocking-Precision Boost Overdrive......Auto Disable Enable Advanced

I had disabled the XFR setting and the latter is at auto.

What the heck is the difference and is PBO on or off? I am confused now? Any way to check with Ryzen Master (what I have been using for the all core OC).

Soldato
Thank you once again for a detailed response.

As for now, I am quite happy with the new fan curve and the reduced noice. The CPU rarely goes above 60c under normal use. Going to a negative offside / manual OC has made the temps more stable. I also suspect that changing the minimal processor state from 99% to 5% in the ryzen balanced power plan has had a positive effect.

I have yet to decide on an offset or all core clock. I do not do that much core heavy work so maybe sacrificing single core speed is the wrong way to go, however it does seem to be more stable under light load. Why did I buy a 3900X then? Wanted to be as future prof as possible and why the hell not :p

As for air flow, I actually only have the standard 1x front fan and 1x out fan that came with my Fractal Design R5 case. However, there is not a big difference with an open case or not. Maybe I will replace/add fans if it makes sense.

If it's within acceptable levels now then I agree with not wasting money on over the top cooling :) a lot of my points were based on a "if its still bad" situation.

Ryzen master has a current settings tab, you can see there if pbo is on or not.

Back
Top Bottom