• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega 56 help - DP > DVI adaptor for 120hz monitor?

Associate
Hi mate, if you enable your trust I can message you the exact cable as I can't post amazon links on here.

I have now enabled trust (I think) my monitor is Samsung S23A700D so hopefully this solves the dilemma and can look towards the vega54 for 120hz gaming.

Does 120hz mean max visible 120fps? Or is this something different? Hadn’t realised since upgrading to Windows 10 I had been at 60hz. Changed it now though.

Soldato
OP
I have now enabled trust (I think) my monitor is Samsung S23A700D so hopefully this solves the dilemma and can look towards the vega54 for 120hz gaming.

Does 120hz mean max visible 120fps? Or is this something different? Hadn’t realised since upgrading to Windows 10 I had been at 60hz. Changed it now though.

yep means you can now display up to 120 frames per second.

Associate
CPO 2M HDMI to DVI Cable
B00227AIJ2

There ya go mate, that is the exact cable i used.

Thanks pal. This blue and black cable. Can see no 2m but they have 1m.

So this is using the hdmi slot from the graphics card and not the Display Ports? Saves having to buy the more expensive Astrid card to get d-dvi.

Thanks a lot. Will grab one of these and test with my current card and then look to getting the Sapphire Card. Hopefully won’t get none of this coil shine I keep hearing about as my 7950 is really quiet.

Associate
I have just realised on my other monitor (even older but dvi) that it is connected using a dvi to hdmi connector.

I have just tried that adapter and can only get it to go as far as 100hz. So can select 60hz or 100hz. Selecting 120hz and screen goes black. I wonder if this is limitations of the current adapter or the hdmi bandwidth on the 7950?

Hopefully the latter, either way will need another cable and will get the one you suggested so that I can get another card. Thanks once again :0)

Soldato
I have just realised on my other monitor (even older but dvi) that it is connected using a dvi to hdmi connector.

I have just tried that adapter and can only get it to go as far as 100hz. So can select 60hz or 100hz. Selecting 120hz and screen goes black. I wonder if this is limitations of the current adapter or the hdmi bandwidth on the 7950?

Hopefully the latter, either way will need another cable and will get the one you suggested so that I can get another card. Thanks once again :0)
Most likely the limitation of the bandwidth from the HDMI output of the 7950. AMD cards even the 290/390 series cards don't support HDMI 2.0, it was only until the arrival of RX480 and the Vega cards that they have it.

Associate
Most likely the limitation of the bandwidth from the HDMI output of the 7950. AMD cards even the 290/390 series cards don't support HDMI 2.0, it was only until the arrival of RX480 and the Vega cards that they have it.

Thanks for the detail and the reply. I feel comfortable that this should work out for a cheeky upgrade :0)

Associate
Oookay guys, the cable works! It seems to have a DVI-D dual link like wiring, in fact the cable is quite girthy, def more than a fake dual link or than a single link. 1080p@60 is perfect on my BenQ XL2411Z but 1080p@120 and 1080p@144 make an annoying popup appear on the screen without being able to remove it. Despite the message ("Wrong cable. Use your original DVI dual link cable") high refresh rates works.

I'm open to suggestions while researching; still, thank you kindly guys for the help and support!

Associate
Sure, monitor software and drivers ok!

I was thinking about getting a LCD controller board that supports 144hz on hdmi and other ports and DIY my way out. Still, the pop up is "bearable", if I could find a broken XL2411P (supports DP) I would swap the boards and call it a day.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys just thought I would post in this thread. I installed the Vega in my brothers computer, updated to latest drivers and hooked everything up, only this time the cable would not output 120hz. I couldn't figure it out as it had worked before when I tested it, so I connected the cable to my computer and it worked at 120hz... the only difference was the driver version.

So long story short Vega 56 + this cable + samsung SA700 monitor did not output 120hz on latest AMD drivers, however when I reverted back to 19.1.1 drivers the cable worked at 120hz perfectly! So anyone having problems, make sure to try driver version 19.1.1

Associate
Hey guys just thought I would post in this thread. I installed the Vega in my brothers computer, updated to latest drivers and hooked everything up, only this time the cable would not output 120hz. I couldn't figure it out as it had worked before when I tested it, so I connected the cable to my computer and it worked at 120hz... the only difference was the driver version.

So long story short Vega 56 + this cable + samsung SA700 monitor did not output 120hz on latest AMD drivers, however when I reverted back to 19.1.1 drivers the cable worked at 120hz perfectly! So anyone having problems, make sure to try driver version 19.1.1

This is still relevant. i have been trying for ages now and still no luck. Must be the driver version that has affected this as no cable works to get above 60hz.

I bought the blue cable above, however the rainforest had to refund me as it kept flashing black and went in the bin.

Still I continue to search for an answer, however my searches bring up my own posts :o(

If anyone has had any advancements (I know most may have upgraded now), please let me know any solutions that may have worked. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom