Fallout 4 keeps crashing when entering Sancuary

Soldato
Hi i have played so far over 55h plus hours of this game and really enjoyed it!

But ever since i discovered Nuke world area. i am unable to return back to sancuary eiether by travelling by foot or fast travel.

When i try to fast travel there the game instantly crashes and when i go on foot and reach close-by sancuary, it crashes!

The only mods i have are some graphical improvement mods and the unofficial patch mod.

This all started to crash etc when i took on a mission in nuke world to clear out this nuke world theme park where i had to find a number of computer core circuits to install in the mainframe panel.

I am running this game on an ssd drive and a 2080ti card

Associate
Could be a mod conflict or a corrupt save.

Doesn't sound like a mod conflict if only using the unofficial patch and basic texture mods, and a load order issue caused by just the UOP would have showed up earlier.

Best suggestion would be to try an older save game file.

If you really want to keep your current save game file, there are some tools for clearing out scripts and the like that may have gone wrong or been leftovers from a mod change midway through a playthrough.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22633

Results can be mixed and be prepared for unwanted surprises later on in the game if you do decide to use a save cleaner tool.

Soldato
OP
Could be a mod conflict or a corrupt save.

Doesn't sound like a mod conflict if only using the unofficial patch and basic texture mods, and a load order issue caused by just the UOP would have showed up earlier.

Best suggestion would be to try an older save game file.

If you really want to keep your current save game file, there are some tools for clearing out scripts and the like that may have gone wrong or been leftovers from a mod change midway through a playthrough.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22633

Results can be mixed and be prepared for unwanted surprises later on in the game if you do decide to use a save cleaner tool.
The mods i am using are below:

• vivid fallout rocks
  • true storms wasteland edition v1.4.1
  • Unofficial fallout 4 patch
  • Enhanced Lights and FX

When i disable all of the mods, going into sanchuary works!

if i enable "any of the mods on its own it instantly crashes in sanchuary?!?!?

Associate
The mods i am using are below:

• vivid fallout rocks
  • true storms wasteland edition v1.4.1
  • Unofficial fallout 4 patch
  • Enhanced Lights and FX

When i disable all of the mods, going into sanchuary works!

if i enable "any of the mods on its own it instantly crashes in sanchuary?!?!?

Could be anything from load order or a dependency to the save file itself given most of the mods are using esm and esp types files.

It should be mentioned in the mod main page if there's any dependencies, and the load order can be auto sorted using a load order organiser.

I haven't been much into modding recently to recommend any recently updated tools, but I would start by ensuring the mod order is correct and all the mods are using the appropriate updates.

Soldato
OP
How come it was all working previously?

Its as soon as i entered nuke world and activated this specific quest telling me to clear out multiple areas made me not able to return to the sanctuary.

I'm level 37 and been playing for close to 60h with the listed mods from day one

Associate
Mods and even the unofficial patch will usually have different versions for the base game and any additional expansions that change how the game loads certain files, so it can depend on a variety of factors that could get triggered at any point. There really isn't a simple answer, and it takes a while to get every mod correctly loaded and set up before you start to play and avoid any problems down the line. Trying to figure out what it is at random points is literally like looking for a needle in a haystack.

That said, if the problem started when doing the expansion, then chances are it's probably related to any mod updates to do with that expansion. On the face of it, there doesn't appear to be any direct link between a random place like Sanctuary and Nuka-World, but there may be scripts within the expansion that tell the game to handle some things differently than the base game. Those scripts are now present in your save game, and so the game will crash if it comes across a part where a mod, for e.g., requires base game scripts to function as intended.

Comparing an older save game with your current save game, or even just having a general look for dependencies that may show up, using the earlier linked save game reader tool may still be of use. As a simple indication, if all the mods are suddenly causing a crash, then the most obvious things to look at are the save file, the unofficial patch or the expansion itself causing a conflict.

p.s.

I would also try doing a clean save game. Unload all the mods and start the game, then go to an indoors location within Sanctuary before doing another save. Enable the mods again and try loading that new save.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, I did try to be very concise, but I don't think I'm getting through here.

Please refer to the mod pages for any support and instructions, which is usually to a high level with Bethesda games.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I did try to be very concise, but I don't think I'm getting through here.

Please refer to the mod pages for any support and instructions, which is usually to a high level with Bethesda games.
I am just wondering why it worked perfectly for over 60h of gameplay and now it does not and its specifically just sanchuary i cannot enter using any mod.

very weird. im lost on what caused this issue

what mod manger u using

fallout 4 vortex

Associate
I am just wondering why it worked perfectly for over 60h of gameplay and now it does not and its specifically just sanchuary i cannot enter using any mod.

very weird. im lost on what caused this issue

The game ran fine before.

The only thing that has changed is the save file.

The save file came in contact with an expansion.

All mods are now causing a crash under specific circumstances.

The problem is likely to be how the expansion affects certain attributes in the save file that the mods are no longer compatible with.

The solution would be to either change the save file or something related to the mods.

Soldato
OP
The game ran fine before.

The only thing that has changed is the save file.

The save file came in contact with an expansion.

All mods are now causing a crash under specific circumstances.

The problem is likely to be how the expansion affects certain attributes in the save file that the mods are no longer compatible with.

The solution would be to either change the save file or something related to the mods.
How do I change a save file?

Associate
How do I change a save file?

Do a clean save as set out in #6.

If that doesn't fix it, use the Resaver function from the linked utility in post #2.

If still nothing, revert to an older save game or continue without mods.

The above assumes the game files have been verified through Steam, Nexus Mod Manager (Vortex) is correctly set up and has properly auto-sorted and updated all the mods. I'm also assuming the latter is dilligently created given the experince they must have picked up over the years, but some things still end up requiring manual intervention in the complex situations that these mods tend to create. Looking through the individual mod pages becomes necessary at that point.

I always used Wrye Bash to manually set up all my mods and auto-check my save files for dependencies, so can't provide any personal insight into how well Nexus Mod Manager works.

Associate
IF you have the time switch to mod organizer 2 I find it much better it makes a virtual folder when you run it with the mods in so cannot mess up fallout 4 and makes turning mods on and off much better.

Another thing I see you have a 2080ti you have weapon debris turned off as that is know to crash fallout 4 with 2080's and always for me around sancuary

Soldato
OP
IF you have the time switch to mod organizer 2 I find it much better it makes a virtual folder when you run it with the mods in so cannot mess up fallout 4 and makes turning mods on and off much better.

Another thing I see you have a 2080ti you have weapon debris turned off as that is know to crash fallout 4 with 2080's and always for me around sancuary
O ok I'll check out how to turn on weapons debris, I assume that's in the graphics settings of the game

Soldato
OP

If that doesn't fix it, use the Resaver function from the linked utility in post #2.

The above assumes the game files have been verified through Steam, Nexus Mod Manager (Vortex) is correctly set up and has properly auto-sorted and updated all the mods. I'm also assuming the latter is dilligently created given the experince they must have picked up over the years, but some things still end up requiring manual intervention in the complex situations that these mods tend to create. Looking through the individual mod pages becomes necessary at that point.

I always used Wrye Bash to manually set up all my mods and auto-check my save files for dependencies, so can't provide any personal insight into how well Nexus Mod Manager works.
Brilliant thanks I'll try these suggestions also

Associate

Symlinks? If so I'm fairly sure Vortex has a symlink option, I'm fairly sure NMM had symlinks too. :confused:

Soldato
OP

By clean save do u mean starting the whole game from scratch?!?

I practically been playing with these mods since day one really and i will be royally ****** if i had just wasted 60h+ playing it all for it to break and crash on me all of a sudden :(

anyways i tried that clean save tool and cleaned out by removing unattached instances and now the game crashes randomly every 20mins or so at random times/points of the game .
Yes its in there its a known problem lots of 2070 cards and up have the problem as they havn't updated the physics calls in the games and they never will

Tried this in conjustion of cleaning the save file and getting crashes even more?

Associate
By clean save do u mean starting the whole game from scratch?!?

Starting a new game isn't required. This is usually the safest way to fix save game files.

I practically been playing with these mods since day one really and i will be royally ****** if i had just wasted 60h+ playing it all for it to break and crash on me all of a sudden :(

anyways i tried that clean save tool and cleaned out by removing unattached instances and now the game crashes randomly every 20mins or so at random times/points of the game .

Save game cleaning with a utility is meant as a last resort for fixing serious problems. You have to cross your fingers.

Back
Top Bottom