Help me identify a plug

Soldato
Hey guys

Wondering if anyone recognises what type of plug this is? I want to make a wiring loom to hook up the 3-pin plug on the right (only need 2 of the pins actually connected) to an external system but i need the right type of plug to connect up to it.

0PPX7Fp

Soldato
OP
That looks like a lesser known “img” plug

only available on forums

ahh imgur on phones lol, vince's re-post is spot on.

The 4 pin or the 6 pin? Also what is that device? Might help!

so the device is a fire control unit for an airsoft gun, the left hand 6-pin plug is used to control the main mechanism.

the right hand 3-pin plug is the one i'm interested in. supposedly it provides a switched pass-through from the battery to power accessories. it's designed to operate the motors on box magazines but i'm interested in setting it up to power a tracer unit (basically some led's)

the led unit just takes direct power supply in, i could connect it directly to the battery but i'm thinking having it switched to the trigger via the plug would be a more efficient solution.

edit: if it helps the manufacturer is american, so possibly an american only style of connector?

took a look at molex picoblade ( https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-to-board-cable-assemblies/1250730/ ) and it doesn't look quite the same, going off the 5-pin one the guide ribs on the side are off-centre and there's no protrusion on the top.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
ahh imgur on phones lol, vince's re-post is spot on.

so the device is a fire control unit for an airsoft gun, the left hand 6-pin plug is used to control the main mechanism.

the right hand 3-pin plug is the one i'm interested in. supposedly it provides a switched pass-through from the battery to power accessories. it's designed to operate the motors on box magazines but i'm interested in setting it up to power a tracer unit (basically some led's)

the led unit just takes direct power supply in, i could connect it directly to the battery but i'm thinking having it switched to the trigger via the plug would be a more efficient solution.

edit: if it helps the manufacturer is american, so possibly an american only style of connector?

took a look at molex picoblade ( https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-to-board-cable-assemblies/1250730/ ) and it doesn't look quite the same, going off the 5-pin one the guide ribs on the side are off-centre and there's no protrusion on the top.

You would expect it to be fairly standard, I think the best bet would be to get a measurement across the pins and work out what they do. you will have a live and ground for sure and depending on voltage is supplied to the pins you will need a resistor for you LED's. Just to get this right, you pull the triger and both mechanisms fire? If that is the case get a multi meter out and get some data from the pins on the fire mechanism. It may be much easier than you expect.

Soldato
OP
You would expect it to be fairly standard, I think the best bet would be to get a measurement across the pins and work out what they do. you will have a live and ground for sure and depending on voltage is supplied to the pins you will need a resistor for you LED's. Just to get this right, you pull the triger and both mechanisms fire? If that is the case get a multi meter out and get some data from the pins on the fire mechanism. It may be much easier than you expect.

the led unit already has a voltage regulator on it, so no worries there.

the system is instantaneous, seems to be as long as the trigger is pressed it sends power. the only thing i might consider is maybe a capacitor across the outputs so the led stays on slightly longer after the trigger is released.

figuring out the pin-out isn't the problem, it's getting the plug

No such thing as standard when it comes to airsoft. If the OP knows the manufacturer’s name for the burst control mechanism, a quick Google should find them.

it's polarstar, you can get the plug harnesses from 'murica but i'm hoping there's a closer to home option.

Man of Honour
the led unit already has a voltage regulator on it, so no worries there.

the system is instantaneous, seems to be as long as the trigger is pressed it sends power. the only thing i might consider is maybe a capacitor across the outputs so the led stays on slightly longer after the trigger is released.

figuring out the pin-out isn't the problem, it's getting the plug

it's polarstar, you can get the plug harnesses from 'murica but i'm hoping there's a closer to home option.

Out of interest have you seen if one of these fits? They tend to come with motherboard headers and you find them on the built in buzzers you get on cheaper boards:

that particular one is a JST 3pin plug.

Soldato
OP
if it had been the 4 pin version i could've sent you some...bought for a toy quadcopter project ages ago that never went ahead

here's a uk based seller...
http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/conn_jstzh.html

Sweet, i'll order one and see if it it's right. Checking the pin spacing it seems like 1.5mm is right so fingers crossed.

Now the only debate is do i want to wire it up direct or try fancy capacitor shenanigans.

Man of Honour
Sweet, i'll order one and see if it it's right. Checking the pin spacing it seems like 1.5mm is right so fingers crossed.

Now the only debate is do i want to wire it up direct or try fancy capacitor shenanigans.

Fancy caps is clearly the way forward. Why go standard when you can do better?

Soldato
OP
Fancy caps is clearly the way forward. Why go standard when you can do better?

See i'm not 100% sure if its necessary.

Basically its 4 uv led's (which are pretty damn bright) which charge up glow in the dark bb's and i'm not sure if it flashing when on semi (i tend to use semi a lot) will be enough to give a decent glow.

That said, i suppose i could just try it as-is and see if it does a good enough job before messing with it.

Back
Top Bottom