Is it just me that finds current phone designs boring?

Soldato
Virtually all phones released at the moment have the same design.
Same screen with a hole punch camera.
Same massive camera wedge.
Same "fluid" screen.
Same all glass design which means you basically HAVE to get a bulky case to protect your phone.

Where's the innovation at? If you want to get a phone you may as well pin a load of them to a dart board and see which one gets hit.

Soldato
The designs are all fairly similar, but I'm not sure i mind. I suppose someone could come up with a circular phone or something.

The square shaped, all screen design does the job in my opinion, not that I'm against change.

Soldato
Virtually all phones released at the moment have the same design.
Same screen with a hole punch camera.
Same massive camera wedge.
Same "fluid" screen.
Same all glass design which means you basically HAVE to get a bulky case to protect your phone.

Where's the innovation at? If you want to get a phone you may as well pin a load of them to a dart board and see which one gets hit.

Who the **** cares what a phone looks like? It's what tech. is on the inside and how it functions that matter.

Man of Honour
I'd rather a boring design - give me a plain old rectangular screen any day, no hole punch camera no bevels or curves to the screen, no silly aspect ratios. I like a nice subtle but effective design with good use of appropriate plastics and metal to create a good feel and balance to holding the phone and a nice clean design with enough touch of formality to it to be reassuring.

Associate
I'd rather a boring design - give me a plain old rectangular screen any day, no hole punch camera no bevels or curves to the screen, no silly aspect ratios. I like a nice subtle but effective design with good use of appropriate plastics and metal to create a good feel and balance to holding the phone and a nice clean design with enough touch of formality to it to be reassuring.

You sir are describing an iPhone. :D

Soldato
OP
I’m sure you wouldn’t want a different design for a phone. We had that 15/20 years ago ranging from flip phones, to lipstick type phones to thick big phones and phones so small ya can put em up ya a55. :D

I meant there's no innovation anymore.
We had manufacturers going for slimmer bezels, better screens etc. Now they're all the same.

Associate
phone are truly boring, at first I liked the look of the "xiaomi mi mix alpha" the screen wraps around the whole phone but now really I like phones with qwerty keyboards, like the cosmo communicator.

Man of Honour
I used to like phones with a physical qwerty keyboard - I had the original Sony Xperia X1 with the slide out keyboard but these days I'm happy enough with an onscreen keyboard. I think the next step for me will be duel screen setups when they've matured a bit.

Soldato
They've just converged on the most optimal style. Everyone wants a big screen, screens need to be rectangular etc.
The next round of innovation will come with foldable screens, but in 10 years time the users will have picked the design they want.

Soldato
I suspect most 'interesting' ideas that may come out, will have you more happy to have the boring ones.
The only things I've liked in a while is the pop-up front cam, although I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my phones front camera.
Also the Xiaomi MIX Alpha, but it seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Permabanned
phone are truly boring, at first I liked the look of the "xiaomi mi mix alpha" the screen wraps around the whole phone but now really I like phones with qwerty keyboards, like the cosmo communicator.

Absolutely disgusting. If I could swear on here I would at how bad that is. It’s not even a phone to me. A phones meant to fit in the pocket and that’s just too big.

I think advances are still being made. The Samsung Edge phones (S7 Edge etc) had the right idea by decreasing the bezel on 1 side, then the S8/S8+ perfected it by decreasing it on both sides. Then the hole punch camera (as the OP mentioned) was a step backwards with U-shaped cameras. Now they've got a bit smaller again by being O-shaped cameras (S20 series). I'm told that the hole punch will eventually go away again completely and the lens will still be in the same place behind the screen. I don't know if that's true though?

I think a next big step would be to have dockable monitors that the phone can slot into via cat C USB, converting it into a desktop environment. It would be a similar idea to the Nintendo Switch, except that the monitor would be touchscreen as well.

Associate
There's plenty of innovation left in the mobile phone world. I shall look forward to the day when I can get a flagship spec phone for less than £150.

Back
Top Bottom