Doom Eternal

Associate
That’s disappointing to hear. Replaying 2016 atm as I mentioned and possibly enjoying it more than I did when it first released. I can see how the the lack of random encounters you mentioned would take something away from the flow of the game.

How are you finding the story in this one so far? Hearing they had put more into the game was something that surprised me a bit in a good way.

Soldato
That’s disappointing to hear. Replaying 2016 atm as I mentioned and possibly enjoying it more than I did when it first released. I can see how the the lack of random encounters you mentioned would take something away from the flow of the game.

How are you finding the story in this one so far? Hearing they had put more into the game was something that surprised me a bit in a good way.

Dont get me wrong - it's not a bad game and everyone will have to make their own mind up.

Re the story - meh. Hell invades earth and the Doomslayer is intent on stopping it. In a nutshell. There are evil hell priests with crappy hell priest voices. They do not exude menace, evil or suffering like Olivia Pearce did. I'm afraid it's gone a bit too much towards cheesy for me and I'm just not really invested in it. I mean you are the Doomslayer - yet you rock up to earth to save the day in what is basically a big house that's supposed to be a space ship. Theres a collectables room that looks like a teenagers bedroom with magazines lying around and a workbench with bits and Bob's on. It just dispels the atmosphere if you ask me.

Theres plenty of codex pick ups and stuff but the on screen experience is lacking. It's not a great story so far in my opinion.

Associate
OP
Playing on ultra violence atm but it’s very challenging. Much tougher than Doom 2016. I wasn’t impressed when I started the game tbh bearing in mind how much I loved Doom 2016.
Took a long time to set the HDR up properly but it’s looking decent now. Very colourful game and the WCG of hdr helps. Looked washed out with default settings but nice black levels now. Feels great when you finally beat one of the big arena battles after trying 20 time lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know this sounds a strange thing to say but it feels a bit more arcadey and less gritty.
Doesn't sound strange at all, as I said earlier I was hoping for something more girtty, this is way too arcadey for my liking. I'm actually enjoying my pre-order bonus of doom 64 more enjoyable right now.

Glad I bought it on disc.

Soldato
So I have been playing Doom 64. Actually enjoying it more than Eternal.

Anyway, it got me thinking - the version of Doom on the original playstation 1 - is it possible to get it digitally or would a hard copy work on PS4?

Only it had better sound etc than the classic PC versions of doom / doom 2 currently being sold on the playstation store. Doom 64 stole the sounds from playstation doom and as far as I can tell, these are the only 2 versions of doom that use these sounds.

I have a hankering for some ps1 doom loveliness!

Associate
All of doom games are available on Xbox one.... Must be same for PS4

Doom 360 version and new improved classic doom 1/2/3 ...

Soldato
So I have been playing Doom 64. Actually enjoying it more than Eternal.

Anyway, it got me thinking - the version of Doom on the original playstation 1 - is it possible to get it digitally or would a hard copy work on PS4?

Only it had better sound etc than the classic PC versions of doom / doom 2 currently being sold on the playstation store. Doom 64 stole the sounds from playstation doom and as far as I can tell, these are the only 2 versions of doom that use these sounds.

I have a hankering for some ps1 doom loveliness!

Wasn't the sound track done by Trent Reznor (from nine inch nails etc)? Think he done Quake 1 too. Those weird crying babies in the background were just excellent.

Associate
OP
Been back playing this again recently. Not got my Samsung ks8000 atm during lockdown but game looks and plays well on a cheap Sharp tv in 1080p no hdr. Really enjoyed the game so far. Just at the first boss. Playing on Ultra-violent don’t find it too hard tbh. Just have to work out what you need to use. Fun game and great gunplay.

Soldato
Next gen patch dropped last week.

Has anyone been able to turn on 120fps mode on an LG CX with the PS5 version?

Edit: Solved it. Unplugged the PSVR and it works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom