RC cars

Soldato
I got my A979-b from Aliexpress.com. Sometimes you just have to go overseas even though its a long wait. It was worth it. I get some of my parts from there too.
The Himoto Desert Truck was off the bay from the Maplin Shop got that for £69 and the buggy was off ebay too sometimes you can get really good bargains for RC cars especially when the seller doesnt realise how much they are worth. I got the 1/10 buggy for £40 and it was brand new. There are plenty of UK shops though. Quite fortunate I have one or two near me so when you need something quick like a fast charger I go there although they tend not to be the cheapest.

Also have a look at this forum I find it very good. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php and you can get some good tips and hints too.

Soldato
managed to snag metal parts for a part i broke on the ftx surge the other night, had my losi micro rockcrawler doing nothing and turns out it had a knackered gear box, also had a losi micro sct kicking about with a knackered board, after much faffing about i got the micro rock crawlers servo into the sct and it's spectrum 2.4ghz receiver/esc combo.

got one working micro out of both and the 2 little 2s lipos still work for the shortcourse truck, mental wee thing in the garden :D

apparrently our grass hoppers have been dispatched we both can't wait to build em and run em in garden :D

Associate
managed to snag metal parts for a part i broke on the ftx surge the other night, had my losi micro rockcrawler doing nothing and turns out it had a knackered gear box, also had a losi micro sct kicking about with a knackered board, after much faffing about i got the micro rock crawlers servo into the sct and it's spectrum 2.4ghz receiver/esc combo.

got one working micro out of both and the 2 little 2s lipos still work for the shortcourse truck, mental wee thing in the garden :D

apparrently our grass hoppers have been dispatched we both can't wait to build em and run em in garden :D

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my first proper RC car in over 20 years! I had a Mardave Cobra and a Schumacher Cougar in my teens and still have them in bits packed away. I have been wanting another for ages and have been looking at all the expensive stuff like Losi, Arrma, traxxas, Team Associated etc but cant really justify the cost at the moment as am waiting to move house. I ended up going for FTX Bugsta. Unfortunatly RTR not a kit but they seem to be good value and if I like it i can then get something better in the future. I am interested in what you think of the Tamiya kits as I avoided them in my teens because they were all plastic so I thought they would be a bit fragile but most stuff seems to be plastic now so it might have just been me being silly. Looking at all the Tamiya kits now there is so much choice for kits and nearly everything else seems to be RTR now.

Soldato
got the grasshopper built last night and just had it bouncing about the garden with dads one, seems perfect for the garden with the wee 380 motor and a nimh battery, good fun and i got the ftx surge fixed and upgraded, i replaced the plastic bits with metal ones :)

just some wee bits need painted.

RJuXuGP.jpg

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my first proper RC car in over 20 years! I had a Mardave Cobra and a Schumacher Cougar in my teens and still have them in bits packed away. I have been wanting another for ages and have been looking at all the expensive stuff like Losi, Arrma, traxxas, Team Associated etc but cant really justify the cost at the moment as am waiting to move house. I ended up going for FTX Bugsta. Unfortunatly RTR not a kit but they seem to be good value and if I like it i can then get something better in the future. I am interested in what you think of the Tamiya kits as I avoided them in my teens because they were all plastic so I thought they would be a bit fragile but most stuff seems to be plastic now so it might have just been me being silly. Looking at all the Tamiya kits now there is so much choice for kits and nearly everything else seems to be RTR now.

i really like the tamiya kits they are a joy to build with decent instructions, can't really say i have noticed a problem with the toughness, i heavilly used the dt-02 sandviper and the only thing that broke on that was a suspension tower after my dads hpi savage ran it over and the sandviper is running a 17 turn brushed motor on 2s lipos

only broke a suspensioon tower on the db-01 durga by flipping it at speed with a fast brushless system on rough ice/snow and my tt-01 never breaks apart from random wheels breaking at the centre, tried all sorts of wheels.

sure there are better performing and tougher models out there but i enjoy using the tamiyas i just find them fun :)

edit: hope you have fun with the ftx, i have been out of the loop for years and the ftx surge i have seems a bit weak, fixed a weak area with the alloy hop up and the servo saver was my biggest bug bear with it, but that is a smaller scale model 1/12 :)

i hear some awesome things about some of the ftx range though, cannae really go wrong for the bang per buck they offer and i have no issues with the range on the surges stock 2.4ghz :)

check out the modelsport uk forums, loads of helpful advice there for pretty much any model https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/ :)

just checked out the bugsta link it sounds pretty good just make sure the esc is set to cut power when the lipo gets drained :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I ended up going for FTX Bugsta. Unfortunatly RTR not a kit but they seem to be good value and if I like it i can then get something better in the future. .

I nearly went for that one when I was getting back into it the one with army colours looked cool. It was being sold for £35 RTR at the time wish I had bought it. Plenty of upgrade options.

I've looked at Tamiya kits but I just think they are way overpriced for what they are. I think maybe its because when I was young I couldnt really afford some of them and now I`m older I can afford it but I just think they are just too expensive the ones I would want when there are cheaper options to play with.

Soldato

We've just had an ftx carnage delivered, impressed with the quality for £125.

Bought an skyrc e680 charger to as the supplied one takes about 8 hours to charge the pack. I'll pick up a couple of extra batteries next week. First RC car I've had in 20 years.

Associate
While - like most - 90% of my plans this year went down the drain. I decided to revisit a childhood hobby but building them first. Started with the Lunchbox as I always wanted one as a kid but never had one.
Jj5wqZa.jpg

Mods:
5th shock
front suspension brace
oil shocks
Sports Tuned motor
2s Lipo - little extension mod on battery door to support longer battery
Extra weight up front
Full metal bearing kit

Went with a deeper yellow, blacked out the silver and kept it simple.

Next kit to build:

dWt2oAi.jpg
(box was damaged by me not the guys at modelsport UK)
Should be fun, so far I've bought:
17.5t Burshless motor
full race bearings
aluminium central drive shaft
high speed gear set

Plan on running on 2s lipo, just working our what else is worth getting as I wont be racing properly just bought for fun.

Soldato
Well any thoughts/intentions of converting my Savage SS to electric have come to an end, it would seem obtaining the required parts is not possible or cost prohibitive. Which is a shame as the truck itself is in fantastic condition we some decent upgrades (including some very expensive servos).

With that in mind I'm now considering a new 1/10th truck/truggy that my lad and I can have some fun with however taking a look at modelsport there are literally hundreds to choose from with significant cost variance.

So OcUK, what would just suggest as a decent fast (but not uncontrollable) truck, robust to take some knocks and good availability of parts if things were to go pop?

Caporegime
I remember when the Savage was all the rage, Hotbodies did some nice kits for it, a dual engine kit or a different one with a massive engine. Everyone wanted one, until the CEN Genesis came on the scene and was the new fancy kid on the block. I could never afford one (think they were 600 euros before radio, servers etc) but I did like CEN stuff. I still have a Mini Madness with a 13t motor and an MG16 under my bed. I should probably bring them out and give them a good clean and service.

Commissario
Yeah, I had a Savage, had real issues getting it run in and then when I took it out for a drive and it got dirty, I just couldn't be bothered with it. I'd bought a load of upgrades as well and ended up selling it along with another nitro RC car that I'd bought and never even used. Took a massive loss but just totally lost interest.

/edit - I've probably already posted this exact same thing in this thread somewhere, sorry.

Soldato
dad just got a kyosho monster tracker 2.0 earlier, im impressed by it when i had a good shot on the stock nimh in the garden, it really wanted to wheely and took all the bumps and stuff in it's stride.

think im gonna buy one as well especially at 140 quid all in, we didnt use the usb nimh charger but the wee hand set actually feels quality and it was very snappy with the wee 540 22 turn motor, the friction shocks some how feel like oil ones, also to top it off the esc has a lipo mode and my 2s 5000 mah hard case lipos fit in it easy, gave dad one of them :D

i had the original tracker back in primary 6 and it was awesome but not as snappy as this one.

on other news i took the ftx surge buggy out and broke it again......... broke the supsension arm braces this time on one side so alloy hop ups on the way, after that i had the grass hopper out thrashing the hell out of it for an hour straight and nothing broke plus only got over halfway to draining the battery.

im sure my ftx surge is made of cheese and really needs a front bumper like the rpm one my bandit has or even a grass hopper bumper lol

Well any thoughts/intentions of converting my Savage SS to electric have come to an end, it would seem obtaining the required parts is not possible or cost prohibitive. Which is a shame as the truck itself is in fantastic condition we some decent upgrades (including some very expensive servos).

With that in mind I'm now considering a new 1/10th truck/truggy that my lad and I can have some fun with however taking a look at modelsport there are literally hundreds to choose from with significant cost variance.

So OcUK, what would just suggest as a decent fast (but not uncontrollable) truck, robust to take some knocks and good availability of parts if things were to go pop?

look up the kyosho monster tracker 2, not too fast not too slow, wont be near your savvy for speed, dad and i are impressed with it so far, were gonna try it on 2s the morn :)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-monster-tracker-2-0-1-10-ep-readyset-blue/rc-car-products/443108

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom