Is it just me that finds current phone designs boring?

Soldato
Alas, phone design is the art of what can be built with a sensible yield rate and sold for a decent profit given the current materials and technologies.

Battery charge density and display technologies remain key design limitations.

Soldato
I remember scientific calculators costing an arm and a leg. Now you can pick up similar functionality for £1 in poundland.

Heaven forbid!

That's because they have been replaced by tablets and mobile phones.

No, it has complied with Moore's law.

Ok. Calculators plummeted down in price and that was before tablets and mobile phones.

Moore's law will mean ,like now, that more powerful hardware gets cheaper, but 'flagship/state of the art' is the most recent stage in the development of a product not 'past tense' and what is deemed 'flagship/state of the art' therefore will always be expensive, unfortunately.

So I know what you're all saying.:D

Last edited:
Associate
Ok. Calculators plummeted down in price and that was before tablets and mobile phones.

Moore's law will mean ,like now, that more powerful hardware gets cheaper, but 'flagship/state of the art' is the most recent stage in the development of a product not 'past tense' and what is deemed 'flagship/state of the art' therefore will always be expensive, unfortunately.

So I know what you're all saying.:D

Moore's law doesn't take into account marketing. Marketing is the dark art of getting clueless people to pay more than what they need to. Just look at the iPhones with their 40 per cent profit margin says it all.

Associate
Two and a half years ago I got a Note 8 on a 2 year contract, 50 something quid a month. This device has been brilliant and still is, just like my Note 3 and Note 4, which are both still fully functional.

Looking at current devices and what they offer, I went for an unlimited data contract with EE for 27 quid a month and will just keep this phone. I'll just buy my next phone outright, most likely a Note 10+ when this one's battery gives up. Totally done with buying a new phone on contract, it's been diminishing returns for the last few years and I'm very happy to be free of 2 year contracts, current one is for 12 months.

Should have gone SIM only years ago. Now I will choose when to upgrade, i.e. when a new design or significantly improved functionality shows up.

Back
Top Bottom