Concrete base for garden office on a sloping garden

Associate
I am looking into building a garden office/log cabin (4m x 4m) at the back of my garden and have started considering the foundations for this build but am concerned about the the slope at the back of my garden as it is pretty steep.

To have a level concrete base the back wall of the base to be about half a metre higher than than the front. Would this be ok or is there a chance that the back wall will break and collapse over time?

ptFNo82.jpg

Maybe there is another solution I should be looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link, it looks like they got a company into do them which I have also looked into - https://stop-digging.co.uk/ online calculator gives an estimate of £1152 including installation. The ones in the OP would be DIY but about half the price but require a lot more work my end making sure everything is dead level and striaght.

Associate
The first ones definitely don't look as substantial and, as you have a slope there, I'd be wanting to go deep, especially slope end unless you built a retaining wall and levelled off which probably defeats the object...

Also need some hefty kit to install them which you won't have and it's probably going to be a bugger getting them all level!

Associate
OP
Also need some hefty kit to install them which you won't have and it's probably going to be a bugger getting them all level!

The level is obviously my main concern and am wondering if I might as well just pay the extra to make sure that it all done correctly as the whole build is reliant on these

Associate
The back wall is only 500mm high, just dig down below the topsoil and concrete the foundation so it has concrete at least 225mm deep and 450mm wide.

Then build a wall 225mm wide the size of the cabin, at only 500mm high it'll never move.

Sgarrista
Commissario
How "log cabin" are we talking? Are you on about buying one of those office sheds, in which case excavate out the top part of the slope, and use a post auger to put some solid posts down to clay or hardbed depending on what you have and then concrete them in, more than enough strength for a glorified shed.

Associate
OP
How "log cabin" are we talking? Are you on about buying one of those office sheds, in which case excavate out the top part of the slope, and use a post auger to put some solid posts down to clay or hardbed depending on what you have and then concrete them in, more than enough strength for a glorified shed.

It will be a 4m x 4m timber frame building insulated floor, walls and roof, clad with OSB, breathable membrane, and then a cladding. So not massive.

I am considering digging down now as it will also allow be to increase the roof height which will be handy.

Associate
OP
I'd love to use screw piles to support a workshop / deck in our garden because I'm sick of concrete being used too much.

Just not quite sure how expensive it would be to do an area about 4m x 7m

For my 4m x 4m building I have been quoted 900 quid which would be 9 screws (3 x 1m screws at the highest level, 3 x 1.5m screws in the middle and 3 x 2m screws at the back)

Associate
OP
I knocked the shed down last night so I can get a better feel for the plot. I would be looking to get the back of the new garden office close to the back fence which annoyingly is where the steepest drop is.

9d2gIqd.jpg

MOxF4K5.jpg

hMfge0m.jpg

OWU6EGw.jpg

Associate
If you dig down, that's a lot of spoil to get rid of...which you can't currently.

How about a low retaining wall, dig out partly to lower and use the soil from the dig out to back-fill your retaining wall? Using sleepers perhaps?

Soldato
given the drop and the fact you cannot see it I would be putting a retaining wall in, you can get it as close to the fence as possible then and back fill with whatever rubish you more around to put the base down.

Associate
OP
given the drop and the fact you cannot see it I would be putting a retaining wall in, you can get it as close to the fence as possible then and back fill with whatever rubish you more around to put the base down.

I think this might be the best way to proceed. I need to get down there and give it a good clean.

If I was looking to this myself do you think sleepers would be the easiest to work with? Vertical or Horizontal?

Soldato
I think this might be the best way to proceed. I need to get down there and give it a good clean.

If I was looking to this myself do you think sleepers would be the easiest to work with? Vertical or Horizontal?

Bricks and mortar will always be cheaper (more cost effective) than sleepers, as you won't be seeing it why use sleepers? If there is a part you want to be seen that clad it with sleepers.

Back
Top Bottom