Japanes Knotweed

Permabanned
Looks like the same stuff that keeps popping up in a few different spots in my garden coming from a neighbour who doesn't keep the garden under control and the alleyway behind. Grows hilariously quick which might be why the neighbour suspected knotweed? I believe it can so reproduce easily from cuttings so it can multiply if cut/dug up and not removed in full.
Yeah the neighbours garden is just a mass of weeds and well more weeds. I think he asked someone who works as some sort of gardener for a company called knightstone I think he said. I remember him having a conversation with someone, which I vaguely overheard but didn’t really pay attention, he told him it could be Jkw.

Anyhoo I’m a little bit more relaxed about it now and I’ve offered the neighbour the use of some Gallup 360 weed killer I have, which should pretty much kill everything he has growing.

Soldato
Bindweed is a pain in the arse. One way to deal with it is to put bamboo sticks where you see it coming up. It will head up the stick and you can treat it with glyphosphate away from everything else.

It grows bloody everywhere. I have it all around my garden and it's took a few years to get it under control.

Associate
Bindweed is a pain in the arse. One way to deal with it is to put bamboo sticks where you see it coming up. It will head up the stick and you can treat it with glyphosphate away from everything else.

It grows bloody everywhere. I have it all around my garden and it's took a few years to get it under control.

Buy this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roundup-To...1&keywords=weedkiller&qid=1588006417&sr=8-105

Apply to leaves, kills it very effectively. Don't damage other plants. My method is putting it onto 4-6 big leaves and it's always killed it off.

RE: bleach, it will not have killed the rhizomes as it simply doesn't have the properties to do so...

Soldato

SBK Brushwood Killer works well on it, and it doesn't kill grass, only woody plants. Or you unwind a foot or two, put it in a ziplock bag, then spray into the bag and zip it up.

Associate
Not related to JKW specifically but I bought this as a nuke all option for driveway/paths etc. Would probably work on JKW. It's cheap compared to branded consumer stuff and you can mix into stronger strengths if you wish. You're looking for glyphosate as the active ingredient which is what made roundup such a huge name. This particular product is slightly on the industrial side.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rosate-3...re-Strong-Professional-Herbicide/262521079260

Associate
Not related to JKW specifically but I bought this as a nuke all option for driveway/paths etc. Would probably work on JKW. It's cheap compared to branded consumer stuff and you can mix into stronger strengths if you wish. You're looking for glyphosate as the active ingredient which is what made roundup such a huge name. This particular product is slightly on the industrial side.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rosate-3...re-Strong-Professional-Herbicide/262521079260

This is what professionals use for JKW (which is a broad spectrum weedkiller also) and it is a stronger concentrate than the one you linked. It's gone up about £15 since I bought mine: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-ROUND...749919&hash=item3426e4d6b4:g:9L0AAOSwrBReppU1

Yours is the same, just a weaker concentration and hence cheaper, but likely would do the job as well. The key is actually applying it properly and to healthy plants to get it into the root systems.

Associate
Yep, condition of the plant and application/timing is key. Also the right weather and time of day helps a lot depending on location/sun (You don't want to spray plants in full sun during the middle of the day for example). Cover all them leaves :cool:

Soldato
Ok so the neighbour has sent me a better picture.

F3-D3-A596-8796-43-ED-A6-FC-980-AB3811-F9-D.jpg

The more I’m looking into it reading your comments etc the more I’m starting to think it’s not. Like you say it should have grown quite a bit over the last few weeks but it doesn’t look like their is much there. Unless he’s been chopping it down on the sly.

Bindweed. Not knotweed. Annoying but not difficult to eradicate with herbicide nor a risk to footings of houses etc. Typical of a garden thats been left neglected for a number of years. Pretty white trumpet flowers if nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom