Garden privacy affected by replacement fence

UTT

UTT

Associate
20200428-135718.jpg
TYUMJWV
TYUMJWV

Gonna keep trying to get the photo up.

Basically, part of fence on top of retaining wall at back of garden blew down. Owner of house behind us rents property out.

The estate agent who manages the property has had the fence replaced. The previous and still part existing is laped timber which you can't see through. New fence is a picket fence with gaps between the timber vertically.

We and them can now watch each other as we pad about in the garden.

Estate agent says the fence is acceptable but we think they should have replaced like for like

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't see the picture but if it's not your fence you don't have a say as far as I know. If you want a 6ft solid fence for privacy erect one on your side of the boundary line, job done.

Associate
Nothing much you can realistically do about it if he's not playing ball unfortunately. If you're massively bothered you'd just have to put your own fence up.

Although if you do go down that route (And you'd have to have a really pedantic council) It would technically be over 2m tall on your side so you'd have to investigate whether planning permission is required - not sure on the specifics though here.

UTT

UTT

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone so far

Current fave solution is Reed matting fixed to our side of fence. I can just about get up to above halfway up the fence to bang in some hooks/fixings

Soldato
Get some of that bamboo sheeting tie it to the fence job done. Thats about all you're going to get as they've fulfilled their side of the contract, your viewable privacy probably wasn't part of it.

At least it got done, mothers had to put up with neighbours fence thats literally collapsing inwards for a year least at its finally been done mainly because he's been furloughed and doesn't have anything else to do.

Soldato
Thats going to get annoying if they have bratty kids that want to look at you everytime you are in the garden.

It might be overkill but I would look to poo through those slots. They will soon get the message. Or start doing it back.

UTT

UTT

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone

Looks like brush wood or Reed screening going to be fixed to it to restore privacy when I can get hold of the stuff

The family in the other house are Romanian renters and seem to like standing around a flaming BBQ every other night. I'm sure they're lovely people but we could'nt see them before and would prefer to not see them now!

Soldato
That's definitely a strange layout to see such a huge height difference between neighbours.

I would definitely put some sort of bamboo screening across it. You can't be nailing in thin bits of wood into the gaps, or painting it exotic colours as some others have suggested.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Looks like the existing feather edge is someone else's, just make out the rear boundary through the gaps so I can see what the estate agents are saying as they've only replaced the damaged on their side, but I cant see a feather edge costing much more than what they've put there and would tie in with all the existing, personally I would borrow a taller ladder and feather edge your side to match the existing and give it all a coat of paint while I'm at it.

On a side note what's with the 3 different colour bricks in the walls?

Soldato
big difference in height there, yep bamboo straight over it would be the best fix.

at least they replaced the fence though.

UTT

UTT

Associate
OP
Looks like the existing feather edge is someone else's, just make out the rear boundary through the gaps so I can see what the estate agents are saying as they've only replaced the damaged on their side, but I cant see a feather edge costing much more than what they've put there and would tie in with all the existing, personally I would borrow a taller ladder and feather edge your side to match the existing and give it all a coat of paint while I'm at it.

On a side note what's with the 3 different colour bricks in the walls?

The cream ones are the same ones our house is built from. The lower red ones on right of picture are basic engineering bricks and then the darker red ones are the same as ones used to build house behind us.

Basically the brickies cocked up and thought they were to use the same brick as the house for each section of retaining wall they had. My neighbour on left has a red rough faced brick for the house so they used the same for their bit of retaining wall.

Think it cost the developer a fortune because they were supposed to use the cheapest brick going.

Back
Top Bottom