Automatic garage doors

Caporegime
Hi all

We have a 15 year old generic sectional garage door that we'd like to replace as it's worn out and I was looking for people's views and tips please on selecting doors, motors, and suppliers.

I was thinking to just go for a Hormann sectional door (there's a bedroom above the garage so it needs to be well insulated) and find a local fitter with good reviews...

What brands of doors and motors do people recommend? Should I go through a larger chain, or is this like the dreaded carpet scenario whereby you don't touch the large nationals with a barge pole?

Thanks.

Associate
I ended up choosing a SeceuroGlide roller one, the Excel, which I think is the default one they fit if you want the remote thing.

So far so good, it's got some "Secure by Design" thing that maybe means something. You can also plonk in a module with a SIM card and do whatever people do with that. The being resistant to naughty people for a bit longer was what sold it for me, and also the fitting company near me, NDC, seemed pretty good from pre-sales through to fitting. It's also got an alarm on it, although it's a pretty basic standalone thing that just reacts to the door getting a kicking.

Soldato
We’ve just had an Alutech electric roller door fitted (By a local company - Labradoors). Wanted to keep the ceiling space which you lose when a sectional door is up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had my old door replaced with a German made door but in hindsight I wish I had a roller door fitted. I automated my door not long after I moved here and it was fitted to the new door.

How people get on without a door opener I will never know. :) Its not as though they are expensive.

Soldato
I wanted a replacement door for our single garage. I was thinking about a sectional door as they were cheaper and better insulated but I decided against it due to restricting me mounting anything on the ceiling nearby.

In the end I went with a Horman roller door (June 2018, was fitted in August 2018). My next door neighbor also wanted one so I negotiated quite a bit on price and got 25% off the quote prices (had two similar quotes). So far been very happy.

Soldato
Do you have additional height outside of the garage? At least with the horman roller door you can have it externally mounted so the box section where the door rolls into is mounted outside the garage.

Caporegime
OP
How does this work - how much room above do you need? my new build I had done has a low height so I can't really drop it i.e. a RR wouldn't fit in but a normal car would (my A6 does).

I was wondering if there are any that roll sideways?

The limitation is height of the ceiling, the door can pretty much be constructed as tall as required. A RR would easily fit in my garage. The cross beam is at least 7 feet above the garage floor. These might help show the mechanism / ceiling construction:

fspPzAEh.jpg

QPvuIPVh.jpg

Unsure about the side rolling question.

Soldato
How does this work - how much room above do you need? my new build I had done has a low height so I can't really drop it i.e. a RR wouldn't fit in but a normal car would (my A6 does).

I was wondering if there are any that roll sideways?

Better option would probably be a roller door that sits behind the lintel to give you maxium door opening. But even if you fitted the bulkhead within the door opening, you'd still have plenty of height to get an A6 in.

Back
Top Bottom