Wi-FI signal strength help

Associate
Hi,

First post so go easy! A bit of advice really accessing my mums WI-FI from my home. We're both paying around £55 a month for fibre however she lives quite close I wondered if it was possible to cancel my subscription and latch on to hers. To put things into perspective, she lives 50m away from my home. I get access to her WI-FI two doors down but none from my home. The image below isn't too clear but hopefully you will get the gist.

I know you can get extenders and whatnot but I thought it would be best to put a post on here to see if you guys had any suggestions. Hopefully non to expensive and pretty straightforward.

https://ibb.co/J5g3Cnh (image link)
J5g3Cnh

Cheers, Jamie.

Soldato
What speed is your Fibre? Even if you could get her signal in your home I doubt the speeds would be much good. If you’re not bothered about speed then go for it.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Find a cheaper ISP or downgrade the package. Wireless connection sharing with several buildings in the way will be expensive or unreliable or both.

Associate
OP
There's only one fixed ISP in my area. Just thought it would have been a possible solution with it only been 50m or so away. Thanks for the info though.

Soldato
Find a cheaper ISP or downgrade the package. Wireless connection sharing with several buildings in the way will be expensive or unreliable or both.

Yeah I agree, I only get 300 Mbps with my Netgear A7000 AC 1900 USB adapter 6 meters from the router that’s with a 1 Gbps connection.

Soldato
Yeah I agree, I only get 300 Mbps with my Netgear A7000 AC 1900 USB adapter 6 meters from the router that’s with a 1 Gbps connection.

That's because no 2.4GHz or 5GHz WLAN can do more than about 650Mbps reliably. The Mikrotik kit I linked is specifically designed to deliver a 1GBps signal over 200m and it uses the unlicenced portion of the 60GHz band so there is almost no interference.

Soldato
The wireless wire that @WJA96 suggested is exactly what you want. Not sure looking at the overhead picture though whether you could get it to work as I believe it needs line of sight. I suspect the only way is to put the devices high up on a mount on a chimney or something on both properties, like a TV aerial is. Then run ethernet cables down from them into each property. You'd plug the wire from her unit into one of the LAN ports on her router. At your end you'd probably put a bog standard switch and then run cables or add access points from that in your own property however you want to access your Mum's broadband.

edit: looks like @WJA96 confirmed it doesn't need line of sight so you'll have a much easier time installing it.

Soldato
An expensive risk if he doesn’t know for sure if it will work or what kind of speeds he’ll get. I suppose he could send it back under DSR if it didn’t work out.

Associate
That's because no 2.4GHz or 5GHz WLAN can do more than about 650Mbps reliably. The Mikrotik kit I linked is specifically designed to deliver a 1GBps signal over 200m and it uses the unlicenced portion of the 60GHz band so there is almost no interference.

Just saying i get nearly 900mbps reliably over 5Ghz between floors ;)

Associate
Oh really? How are you measuring this? There was, somewhat hilariously. Someone who claimed something similar in the recent past until it was pointed out that he was actually measuring a wired connection. But maybe you have something special?

Nothing too special, just higher end consumer kit (ASUS PCE-AC88 and a RT-AC86U). I used a quad threaded iperf instance to generate the traffic to eliminate caching and ran a test between a server i have connected directly to the router (living room downstairs) and a my desktop (bedroom upstairs). 60 second run can be seen below from task manager as well as iperf. I'll just mention it for completeness but i have no ethernet cables attached to this pc :p

OehgzaQ.png

Associate
I don't think i changed much if anything from the default settings (maybe channel bandwidths and wireless mode). This router is running the latest merlin firmware. Never the less these are the 5GHz settings. Also done a wireless survey on the 5Ghz network and its fairly quiet as i can only see one other network which doesn't overlap my range and is weak anyway (2.4ghz is a whole other story however...)

9f8d0581fb17af585a49d316fc141a0d.png

fec991c9fc77e3e52eaf9b5f6cdd16c5.png

5de480a2d7ace4f7c81ca6dffb2bca24.png

Back
Top Bottom