Oak finishing oil

Soldato
Evening all,

I've a solid Oak worktop to replace my current cheap Beech one which has a lovely pales tones in its current unfinished state.

I'm looking for something to finish it with that will protect but darken it as little as possible. A slight sheen would be great but not essential.

8bCl2HYl.jpg

Other than being subject to a keyboard & mouse and the occasional plate it won't have a hard life so doesn't need to be particularly hard wearing.

Recommendations welcome :)

Thanks,

BennyC

Associate
I used dark oak beeswax on mine and it looks stunning. They do lighter tones also so worth a look. Just remember that the finish will only be as good as the prep

Soldato
as ive just used the pic in man jobs thread ! not sure what to use on my oak arch either ,dont want it too shiny ,more the rich nourished look ,obviously outdoor

IMG-20200427-141504.jpg

Associate
I used danish oil for my oak worktop desk - am very happy with the results. It does darken it a bit but anything you put on it will tend to darken it to a degree. I can take a picture of mine later if you'd like.
For best results sand the worktop first, then clean the dust with a damp towel. Coat once and let dry. Then *lightly* sand to knock off bumps, lumps and bits of wood sticking up. Wipe with a damp cloth. Repeat the coating and sanding so you have 3 or 4 coats. It'll be long lasting and look / feel great.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Just started putting oak window boards in our house and wanted something as close to natural colour as possible eventually settling on Osmo Polyx Hard wax Oil - Clear Matt it's expensive but goes a long way and to save some money I've done the underside in Danish oil. There's a slight change of colour but putting any coating on oak will do that, I avoided the oils labelled natural as they add a little white/grey colour to the mix to return it to a more natural colour.

Soldato
Here is the difference after I used Osmo oil on my oak floor. you can see the natural color of the oak at the bottom of the pic. I always find oak darkens up no matter what you put on it. I like it though.

Product: Osmo Polyx Hard Wax Oil-Clear Satin (3032C)

VhqL6JQ.jpg

Soldato
Yep used Danish on mine and echo the other sentiments here, does darken a bit but it's not bad.

Once you apply the oil don't forget to use a cloth to remove excess, especially on later coats. The wood seems to drink the oil more for the first 1-2 coats.

Excess oil will go gummy, so best to wipe it down a few mins after applying with a damp cloth.

I didn't bother to do the underside of the desk, maybe I should have, but it's held up fine so far.

Back
Top Bottom