Concrete base for garden office on a sloping garden

Associate
Not really, they will require the same if not more digging out as they will need to be deeper to support the weight and lateral pressure from the backfill.

I'd still say quicker:- no trench to dig, no foundation (well certainly less), no waiting for concrete to cure etc. Yes you'll have to dig deepish holes say 900mm deep for the restraint posts (I beams would work best), drop in some postcrete and that's never going anywhere and has the advantage of being able to replace the sleepers when the rot away...

Soldato
All depends on how permanent it needs to be, no need for the base to be concrete in fact it would be better for the base of the building to be ballast and piers to allow for water to drain. A block and mortar retaining U on the sloped end will be far stronger than sleepers and would not give if the land were to slip.

Sleepers are great for retaining planted beds or grass edges but for buildings of any weight I would always use a block wall.

Associate
OP
All depends on how permanent it needs to be, no need for the base to be concrete in fact it would be better for the base of the building to be ballast and piers to allow for water to drain. A block and mortar retaining U on the sloped end will be far stronger than sleepers and would not give if the land were to slip.

Sleepers are great for retaining planted beds or grass edges but for buildings of any weight I would always use a block wall.

Is a block and mortar wall something I could so myself? I can dig, measure and follow instructions but have no experience this area of DIY, would I need to worry about drainage etc?

Back
Top Bottom