The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
What is the proper way one should drink cask strength whisky? I was given a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail as a gift. But it's 54%, not sure if I should be adding a little water, or what is the way to do it.
There is no proper way, it's just what you enjoy. Personally I prefer most of them neat, but there are ones I will add varying amounts of water to. When you are adding water though something I don't think enough people do (especially if it is one you don't already know where the sweet spot is) is to leave it to sit and settle for a little while after adding the water, before trying it. Many people add water, try it, find it's not right, add more water, try it, repeat and then end up complaining they have drowned it.

And yes, I even use tap water, the only proviso I make is that I usually let it sit to come to room temperature before using it, but then we have excellent quality tap water where I am.
The way I look at it is if it is good enough that you are happy to drink a glass of it straight from the tap, it's good enough to add to whisky. If you live in an area where you need to use filters and things before you would drink it, or it has a distinctive taste, then it's probably best to use bottled.

Soldato
@MentalSharps with water it's usually only a drop or two -like wet a finger/straw and flick a drop in the glass. Don't splash water in like a mixer. It's to losen the oils in more complex whiskys which Ardberg certainly is, being a peaty Islay dram. If you're new to whisky you might find it not to your liking. But don't get rid of it. Save it until you've tried a few gentler malts and come back to it later in your journey. It's a fine journey to embark upon! (in a controlled and responsible manner)

Soldato
I've been through 5 bottles of various types since lockdown began, and am down to my final dram of my Laphroaig Quarter Cask and my Bowmore 12. I've got a Lagavulin 8 coming tomorrow (hopefully) because I've pretty much run out of peated whisky, and the flavours are cheering me right up through this onerous process of doing eff all.

In fairness, the Lagavulin was on offer, and came in at £42 delivered. Always fancied buying a bottle as well, after trying it in a pub last year.

Soldato
try the lagvullin 16yo. That's a nice one. the 25 is also good but only if you're not having to pay for it! See if you can get hold of an Bruichladdich Octomore or Port Charlotte, or a Caol Ila for other Islay peat monsters. Also there's Port Ellen but those are rare and very very expensive!!!

Soldato
I've been through 5 bottles of various types since lockdown began, and am down to my final dram of my Laphroaig Quarter Cask and my Bowmore 12. I've got a Lagavulin 8 coming tomorrow (hopefully) because I've pretty much run out of peated whisky, and the flavours are cheering me right up through this onerous process of doing eff all.

In fairness, the Lagavulin was on offer, and came in at £42 delivered. Always fancied buying a bottle as well, after trying it in a pub last year.

Lagavulin 8 is a tremendous drop. The 16 is my favourite 'supermarket' whisky but the 8 is even better. Enjoy!

Soldato
Lagavulin 8 is a tremendous drop. The 16 is my favourite 'supermarket' whisky but the 8 is even better. Enjoy!
Thanks! I hear good things about the 16, and how the flavour profile is just totally different anyway. I'll give it a go hopefully around July / August if Amazon get the chance to do a proper sale like they did last year. <Edit> I didn't realise I'd actually tried the 16, and I bloody loved it! Added to the list.

try the lagvullin 16yo. That's a nice one. the 25 is also good but only if you're not having to pay for it! See if you can get hold of an Bruichladdich Octomore or Port Charlotte, or a Caol Ila for other Islay peat monsters. Also there's Port Ellen but those are rare and very very expensive!!!
Cheers for those, have heard great things about Port Charlotte and Caol Ila, both I would love to give a go. I think I'll end up getting a tasting kit each month to try and spread it out a bit, because otherwise I'm likely to gravitate toward peated whiskies I already love.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for those, have heard great things about Port Charlotte and Caol Ila, both I would love to give a go. I think I'll end up getting a tasting kit each month to try and spread it out a bit, because otherwise I'm likely to gravitate toward peated whiskies I already love.
Now that's the spirit!

Soldato
Just treat myself to another bottle of a Bunnahabhain as Waitrose have got it on offer at £30 again, I can't remember tasting much better for that price! :)

Soldato
Just treat myself to another bottle of a Bunnahabhain as Waitrose have got it on offer at £30 again, I can't remember tasting much better for that price! :)
Ohh good shout although not sure I want to queue at Waitrose here for it. Hopefully Amazon will pricematch as they often do.

I'll also tell my girlfriends Dad, last time he bought 3 and I definitely get brownie points for letting him know it's on offer :p

Soldato
Everything.
Jameson, jack Daniels, Johnny Walker black and red, Hennessy basically everything.

although I do taste the pate but after the white sprit. I don’t get these toffee, berry etc etc.
you won't with that lot! Neat JD is horrible. Jameson is quite harsh. JW black is more generic with a bit of peat at the back. Like most blends, blended to be smooth and inoffensive.

No you need to try some good single malts. Start with something light like a Glen Grant or a Glenlivet. Something light, grassy-hay, apples. Stay in the Speyside region for a while to see the variation on the lighter whiskies before branching out in the lowlands, highlands and islands, then finally Islay. (in that order). The Drinks by The Dram and similar tasting sets can be a good way to do this without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom