Staining fences

Soldato
OP
Definitely. I take pictures of everything :p
Still deciding on the colour. Medium oak which looks nice but has the potential to make the garden feel narrower, or Harvest Gold which is more like the shed. Decisions, decisions...

Soldato
Thanks, on my way to buy a big bottle of bleach. I'm going to do 1 part bleach to 2 parts water. I've made a start, got seven brushes from toolstation including one large cheap one for the bleach and one large fence brush for staining. £5 the lot. :p

Will bleach, then jetwash the other parts of fence that are generally a bit dirty, leave for a couple of days and start staining. I think if I don't put time into the prep, I'll find the stain might not last as long.

2-1 is fairly strong. But it should be effective!

Don't jetewash it all off straight away though. If possible jetewash a day or two later to give the bleach chance to work.

Soldato
OP
2-1 is fairly strong. But it should be effective!

Don't jetewash it all off straight away though. If possible jetewash a day or two later to give the bleach chance to work.

Indeed, I'm going to let the bleach do it's thing and come back to it the following day before hitting it with the nilfisk. I got the 2-1 ratio from this video.

Man of Honour
I used a cheap £30 electric sprayer from Amazon to do mine, far quicker than using a brush, literally a minute a panel. You can layer it up as well, a bit like giving your fence/shed a spray tan.

Caporegime
Yeah ive got one of those Curpinol Spray and Brush jobs, with 10L of Forest Oak sprayable paint for it, which i got couple of years ago for my new fence, but i want some to do my gates n that too, which is a brush job. :p

EDIT:

Well i finally managed to get onto the B&Q site (got a queue system, ive been trying for days), and my local stores got some in, and its just been re-opened (as its on their re-opened list). :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well i give up, can't get it anywhere, its gone the way of ******* bog roll!

Hundreds of people waiting outside of B&Q to get in, wouldn't have got in before closing.

Tempted to try my sprayable Forest Oak with a brush, but may run, as watery :p

EDIT:

I'll just paint my fence for now, with my sprayer. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
^ Yes, I was going to say, Toolstation, that is if they have the Cuprinol spray paint or similar that you want. Their shops are not open to go into as such, but I ordered and paid for my brushes online and they were ready to collect a few minutes later. I popped along to my local store, only one person in front of me, and I was given my brushes.

B&Q is a joke. Everytime I visit their website, it says I'm in a queue that will take one hour before I can even browse.

Last edited:
Caporegime
^ Yes, I was going to say, Toolstation, that is if they have the Cuprinol spray paint or similar that you want. Their shops are not open to go into as such, but I ordered and paid for my brushes online and they were ready to collect a few minutes later. I popped along to my local store, only one person in front of me, and I was given my brushes.

B&Q is a joke. Everytime I visit their website, it says I'm in a queue that will take one hour before I can even browse.

Yeah i tried Toolstation, they doing click+collect, but got no paint at all around here, no one has, its like bog-roll, everyones buying it up.

Luckily though, i went into my garage to dig my sprayer out to do the fence this morning, and while i was looking for it, i found a full 9ltr tup of the Dark Oak paint hidden at the back, RESULT! :D

Soldato
Just to bump this thread, I'm looking to get some grey fence paint but finding anywhere in stock for a decent amount - I have 24 panels to do is very difficult.

Soldato
Good luck, fence paint is like flour at the moment.

People are doing a lot of DIY while they are stuck at home and buying it all up.

As long as it’s the same brand it should be fine to get piecemeal, perhaps go for Cuprinol as it’s stocked in a wide range of outlets.

Soldato
I wanted to get another tin as the stuff I've got won't do all the fences, it's only cuprinol and it's 4l of the stuff, but everywhere is selling it for 40 quid:eek:. I guess it's supply and demand.

Back
Top Bottom