Silverstone Fortress FT02 - Time for an upgrade and some TLC

Associate
So, like many others figured it was time to upgrade my PC what with being stuck in quarantine.
I've had this case for a long time and it's been a workhorse so thought I'd stick with her for now.

The Case
She's one of the original versions so doesn't even have Air Penetrators in the bottom, just whatever was before. They worked great but after all these years were a bit creaky. Front i/o also only had two usb2 headers so not great.
The side perspex panel was also showing it's age with a foggyness at the bottom and plenty of scratchs.
Rest of the case was pretty much pristine.

The Bits
So went for:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...ce-pro-rgb-16gb-3600mhz-bundle-bu-01w-am.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...-state-drive-gp-asm2ne6100tttd-hd-009-gi.html

Now, since this is a 90 degree mobo with lots of airflow going from bottom to top I figure for the GFX a blower style card would be perfect. Bit cheaper and perfect for the case. DOH! should have done more due diligence here. Got this:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-323-ea.html
Works really well but yeah, loud and hits 80 very quickly. So gave me the idea for my first minor mod... More on that later.

Also, since the top of the case only supports a 120 slot I got a Corsair h75 120mm AIO.

In an odd way this bad choice caused me to see the light and go to an Air Cooler (you have one of the best airflow case ever made, why go with a 120 aio!?), which also led to another mistake/accidental success with a mod to the aircooler I picked.
Turns out Ryzen boosts on the Gigabyte mobo cause the cpu fans to spike alarmingly on their fan curves for a couple seconds. It should really wait for a few seconds after picking up a spike before going to 100% for literally two seconds before going back down to 40% but that would be too much common sense.
Anyway, one of the corsair fans on the rad was faulty and these spikes would cause it to have a wobble when it got to high rpm. So much so that it started clipping the rad grills underneath!
This made it go from loud to ridiculous.
Initially switched the fan for one of my own older ones but then figured for how much it cost the whole thing should be rma'd. Especially since the rad grills were damaged in places.

So ended up replacing it with a MA620m:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cool...dressable-rgb-cpu-tower-cooler-hs-086-cm.html

Looks amazing in the case. Temps much lower than the AIO (by nearly 15 degrees in Cinebench). However, I thought this too had a fault as could hear a high pitch whine when all other fans were off.
Rather than RMA again (thankfully I didn't) I thought what the hell, I ordered a Noctua
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nf-a12x25-pwm-fan-120mm-fg-06r-nc.html
and figured there's gotta be a way into the Coolermaster to replace it's fan?
They really don't want peeople going into those things by the way! Managed to eventually open it up and get the Noctua in.

Reapplied thermal paste and temps down by another 5-10 at load now! But, the squeak still there! Turned out it was the blooming psu fan.

Vacuum and can of air blower seems to have sorted that...

Peripheral wise found a good deal and treated myself to a razer blackwidow, naga trinity mouse and one of those super long mouse mat things with rgb around it too. Also got a mouse bungee for the giggles, what a great, simple bit of kit they are!

Case TLC

The Fans

So the case... well the bottom fans had to go. Full of dust and noisy. Luckily silverstone have recently brought out Air Penetrators ap-183. A model that uses less power and has PWM support. Got three of those (2 initially; they cost almost as much as a case on it's own. 3rd the day after when £30 a day later didn't feel so bad) which have gone in and are brilliant. Loud if you set the rpm too much but they shift a huge amount of air even at more silent levels.
The centre of them with the white and blue stickers stood out in the case though so ordered 5cm round black stickers from amazon to stick on them - looks great!

Side window - so, I mentioned the old one was a bit foggy at the bottom. Taking it off I could see it was yellowing. Cheap perspex can go yellow in sunlight apparently. Thought that was odd as wasn't near the window but then realised! Had an old UV light in there for years!
So, internet search - what can clear that off and light scratches? Sanding you say? Ok, lets give that a go.
Spoiler alert, don't bother trying to sand or buff out scratches in perspex. Disaster.

Pretty annoyed with myself, all that effort for the case and ruined the window of a discontinued product. But then, surely there are companies that can make these? Yep, found one and sent them the measurements.

Got one back that was buffed and polished and honestly easily as clear as glass. So, using the original as a template drilled my hole and... cracked the corner off the very first one.

Doh. Ordered another and after lots of practise drilled the 8 holes on the new one. Perfect fit.

Front Panel and future GPU AIO?
So, was thinking about by mistake getting the blower 2070 super. Had already thrown out the packaging so no hope of a change. That's when I saw evga do hybrid kits for their gfx...
Now at £150 I'm still not sure I'll bother doing this since I could have gotten a much better card for that extra money and it'll really grate but I figured I've got the time, lets pave a path for one.
Nowhere natively to mount this since the top 120 port wouldn't be reachable by the gpu.
This case does however have 5, 5.25 bays... I wonder...
Turned out I was about 5 years too late for mass produced 5.25 bay converters for a 120mm fan.
Looked around and found a company in the US that still make them. Cost $15 and about $20 to ship, ergh. Anyway, the colour looked to match the ft02 so ordered.
Also ordered some coolmaster rgb 120mm fans and a silverstone 120mm fan cover and filter.
One of the coolmasters went into the top mount and the other has gone into the front.
Managed to take out the tooless optical drive holders and put the mod into the 2nd - 4th bays.
Annoyingly if the case had 6 of these bays I could have gone for a 240mm rad...

All looks good when the power is off, just not as clean as it did prior to the 120 mount on the front, but when powered up the rgb actually looks really nice and I've gotten used to how it looks when it's off.

Furture
So, that hybrid cooler isn't in stock yet, will decide what to do when it comes.
I'd also ordered another 16gb of Ram but true to form with this build and nearly zero due diligence discovered that even though it's the same make and they're both 3600 with the xmp on they are ever so slightly different. Wondered why the rainforest had it for £50 less. So it's gone back, will try again when it's in stock here.

Also, been thinking how nice might it look if someone did 180mm rgb fan frames. Silverstone are pretty much the only 180mm fan makers out there and they don't so I'm hatching a plan to make my own!
So the circumference is 2pie.r = 565mm
Phanteks do new strips that are 550mm - that'll do!. I have the covers from the original fans in the case so if I cut out the middles I might be able to create my own 180mm fan frame!
Have those ready, just waiting for the strips and hope they bend the way I want them too!

Front I/O - silverstone have a usb3.1 io with type c and normal interfaces. Only available in US from what I can find and the type c says doens't fit in the ft02 because only 60cm in length... I go the tape measure out and think it'll just reach the port on the mobo. Do I chance it? Not sure - don't really use them but could be nice to future proof it for the... erm, future

Anyway, will update this post later with pictures... It's been fun, mostly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Edit: Added some images.

Turned out the phantek rgb dont bend inward so couldn't use them as fan surrounds, however they look pretty good running along the length of the case at the bottom.

Also managed to get the front i/o ordered. Type C connection technically not supported for this case because it's only 60cm... it was tight but just got it to reach to the port on the mobo running down the back of the case.

So, overall pretty happy!

With the spare parts from my old PC I've ordered a case so thinking this one could do with a new psu to get rid of the capacitor whine this one makes every now and again. So maybe one of those thor 850s...

Also the AIO for the gpu, have just seen the alphacool eiswolf aurora that's meant to be coming out. Not much more money and a full proper waterblock than looks much better. Sign me up!

Also have a 92mm black noctua on order to sit over gpu exhaust to see if by clearing that area of hot air it'll help the vertically mounted gpu. They really don't like that orientation when the heatpipes run the length of the card.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Only thing i didn't like about this case was the rear clearance was almost non existent and cables would easily bulge the side. Some rubber grommets wouldn't have went amiss either. Great design though, essentially a wind tunnel with the bottom to top flow.

xFkcmmE.jpg

Trying to cool my 7990 in the case, mission impossible.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you try brasso wadding on the perspex? I've used that on a case window and it's come out well. You need some kind of polishing compound, not just wet/dry paper.

Associate
OP
LOL i tried that trick as well
Only thing i didn't like about this case was the rear clearance was almost non existent and cables would easily bulge the side. Some rubber grommets wouldn't have went amiss either. Great design though, essentially a wind tunnel with the bottom to top flow.

xFkcmmE.jpg

Trying to cool my 7990 in the case, mission impossible.

Ha, my 92mm arrived today and managed to mount it by clipping out some gaps in the pci-e vented covers...

Not made a jot of difference to how quickly or hot the gpu gets. Decided going to wait for the Eiswolf Auroro waterblock aio and treat the card to one of those when available...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3pKwPQGViA

Soldato
Used to have this case. I think I've still got some of the 180mm spare fans from it. I'm still running a Silverstone FT-01 as well. :) Great cases.

Associate
OP
So update on this little build.
Poor old gpu freaks out when mounted 90 degrees, something in the physics but the coolers can't keep up and it hits 80 degrees after a couple mins of load.

The hybrid cooler from evga is discontinued and the Alphacool Eiswolf Aurora that was meant to be out in March hasn't been heard from since xmas so I went with a g12 bracket.
Decided there would be enough room to mount a 140 rad to the front of the case and exhaust out there so got an nzxt x42.

Since the front 5.25 bay had a 120 fan mount (with an rgb fan already in there) I got a 120-140mm adapter, attached that to the rad and 140mm fan at back for a push pull.

Took the 90mm noctua I had and used that on the g12 rather than the fan it came with

Turned out I was being overly optimistic with a 140 rad...

Ended up having to file some sticky out bits down and even hammer some stuff in the case back!

Anyway, got it all in and think the orientation actually makes the g12 bracket not look completely awful! Oh yeah, got a thor 850 psu too...

Managed to find an nvidia 14pin gpu - pwm fan adapter and plumb all three fans into the card so it controls their speed (just sees the one). Don't have to do that as the nzxt cam software could control them if you plumb them into the pumps fan socket. Was a bit tidier this way though and means not reliant on that software running for the fans to kick up if it heats up.

Card now sits at 50 at load rather than 80 and whole PC is so much quieter. Hoping the vram doesn't get too hot without any direct cooling. This card can't see their temps. From reviews of the g12 though some report the memory runs cooler when exposed to air and the processor heat taken away by the pump.

I think I'm officially done with it now!

Last edited:
Soldato
What do you think of the ma620? I've been considering getting it and doing the same thing that you have with it with one of my Noctua fans. I know its not supposed to be as good as a d15, but it looks so nice.

Good to see someone else sticking with some of the more classic cases, I'm gonna be upsizing into an RV01 as its my favourite case and I need an atx board for what I want to do with my pc.

Associate
OP
What do you think of the ma620? I've been considering getting it and doing the same thing that you have with it with one of my Noctua fans. I know its not supposed to be as good as a d15, but it looks so nice.

Good to see someone else sticking with some of the more classic cases, I'm gonna be upsizing into an RV01 as its my favourite case and I need an atx board for what I want to do with my pc.

I'm happy with it. Much better than the old 120 aio, but that's not saying much. Single fan so nice and quiet, especially with the noctua in there (which was not particularly easy to do btw!).
Runs quiet, keeps it cool and looks nice which is all I can ask really! I'm not one for manual overclocks so I just let my 3900 do it's own thing so probably not overly taxing it.

C64

C64

Soldato
silverstone are bringing them back aren't they and the ravens ?I emailed them years ago saying make a case with ft02 exterior with raven rv03 innards and it would sell big

Associate
OP
silverstone are bringing them back aren't they and the ravens ?I emailed them years ago saying make a case with ft02 exterior with raven rv03 innards and it would sell big

I think so, prototype ravens and some other 90 degree cases. The 180mm fans I have in mine are what they’ll be using in one of their new ones.

They have a flagship one which it seems they are still tinkering with that has 3 200mm fans at the bottom.

alta s1
https://youtu.be/aUF--tpz53M

C64

C64

Soldato
I think so, prototype ravens and some other 90 degree cases. The 180mm fans I have in mine are what they’ll be using in one of their new ones.

They have a flagship one which it seems they are still tinkering with that has 3 200mm fans at the bottom.

alta s1
https://youtu.be/aUF--tpz53M
looks insane doesn't it, i was also thinking nothing stopping them making a case like this with the fans at bottom with the option to mount regular or horizontal atx imo
the case would be taller but could easily mount horizontal with the same design

I guess the masses just get turned off by the vertical mount straight off the bat as they read gpu heat pipes don't function at their best if vertical which is probably true no idea if thats even been proven yet

I would like that case 3x 180-200mm at bottom 3x at front option and vertical horizontal mounting cant see why you couldn't do it just need 2 sets of pci-e spaces one on rear like a standard case and one up top like the raven cases

Last edited:
Associate
Man this thread reminded me that I have a FT-02 WRI Limited Edition case somewhere in my garage. Never could get rid of it as it was so heavy and big. Are they still any good at all ? I know that you can get the I/O upgraded to USB 3 somewhere , but the case kinda looks silly with all those 3.5" hard drive bays now.

Associate
OP
Man this thread reminded me that I have a FT-02 WRI Limited Edition case somewhere in my garage. Never could get rid of it as it was so heavy and big. Are they still any good at all ? I know that you can get the I/O upgraded to USB 3 somewhere , but the case kinda looks silly with all those 3.5" hard drive bays now.

Great for CPU air cooling, not sure there's a case that can beat it?! I got the usb3 and type c i/o despite it not being officially supported for the case by Silverstone due to how short the cable is on a type c. It fit, but only just - depends where on your mobo the connector is!
Those bays are, I believe, removable but aren't visible when the side panel is on. Handy if you wanted some local storage capacity!

Associate
OP
looks insane doesn't it, i was also thinking nothing stopping them making a case like this with the fans at bottom with the option to mount regular or horizontal atx imo
the case would be taller but could easily mount horizontal with the same design

I guess the masses just get turned off by the vertical mount straight off the bat as they read gpu heat pipes don't function at their best if vertical which is probably true no idea if thats even been proven yet

I would like that case 3x 180-200mm at bottom 3x at front option and vertical horizontal mounting cant see why you couldn't do it just need 2 sets of pci-e spaces one on rear like a standard case and one up top like the raven cases

Yeah, they seem to be tinkering with them a lot as not been released yet. The s1 is a behemoth but the spiritual successor to the fortress cases looks to be the alta F1. Looks nice so far, but again they've not settled on a final look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQfJVvdiNuI

Think they have a Raven in the works too ?!

Associate
Thanks for this post. As a fellow FT02 tinkerer since 2009 it was a joy to read. All the small hardships you described and having to be smart to overcome them, helped me remember a lot of small forgotten victories i had tinkering with this case. Like you i got bored having to work so much at home. So i myself had an idea for an Eisbär. My idea wasn't as cool looking as yours. That TRON look works great with all your other gear. Mad respect ! I went the hardcore sounddampening way.
Your non-window panel can fit a
STP BOMB AERO - 375x530x4,2mm - piece inside
Helps with the vibration. I bought two and went to town. The PCI vent. The Bottom. In your case anything that the window does not show. The 5.25 space for sure.

I control my ap181 at 450 rpm with an asus bios DC fan control besides the same PWM noctua at the top. A silent wings ball bearing does not like that position. They start to audibly scratch after 6-18 months.

Try putting a temp sensor to the HDMI/displayport area of the GPU. My first Rigs NH-D15 did heat that area to 80c without my 3 fan 2080s GPUs thermal sensor registering. A 9900ks will do that. A 6 core will not.

An EVGA 2080ti FTW Ultra on air looks and works awesome in this case without that issue. And i use the word awesome seldomly. I just had to put an additional 1mm thermal pad to one ram bank to get it under 80c.
On the official watermod (120mm rad on top) it worked brilliantly, except it is too loud in idle but very smooth and rather silently running under load.

In my case i removed the 5.25 with a PSU Mount. The old PSU place holds an Artic Freezer II 280 with 2mm to spare. JB Weld could be my sponsor.

My removable Top is ...utterly bonkers. Basically i have put an empty case on top and sound dampened the xxxx out of it. It will fit an icebaer in the 3080 future and it exhausts to the back.

Two Lianli cases had to be sacrificed to complete it. It is so heavy that my FT02 has bracing struts inside. Aluminium all the way. It is wrapped in 4 inch sound dampening material. 4 times its own volume worth of that stuff. wrapped in alcantara for the doors and black leather imitation for the rest.

Compared to yours it looks boring as XXXX though :)

Thanks for the forgotten memories !
Best Regards
Carlyle

Last edited:
Soldato
The case I always wanted but never could afford. Sigh. Still love it. Nearly bought one 2nd hand on ebay but the seller was a bit iffy so i walked away. Picked up a shinobi XL for £30. Not the world's best case but you cut your cloth to what you can afford.

Re your side window, I know it sounds mad but don't panic. Like any sanding you have to make it worse before it gets better. Go finer and finer with grades of emery cloth and then brasso. Yes - brasso. We used it at school to polish our acrylic key fobs and it works! I'm sure they'll be a youtube on it but it's all about the brasso. You've got nothing to lose now, you can't make it worse (unless you try using a rasp or something silly, but don't do that).

Back
Top Bottom