*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
In the controller, there's nothing that's set directly on the AP. You need to have the 'new settings' enabled in the controller then go to Wi-Fi and you'll see it there.

I had Wi-Fi AI enabled once (back in September it seems) and it knackered things by stopping anything connecting to the 2.4GHz radio. My Amazon Echo and Sonos devices did not approve. I could be wrong but I think disablign Wi-Fi AI just disables it making any more changes and doesn't revert the changes it has already made. Personally I'd leave it disabled.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Does it work or is it not worth bothering? @WJA96 any thoughts on the WiFi AI being enabled? Currently running 3 APs, one AP-AC in the lounge with a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz network, one AP-AC the other end running just a 5Ghz and an AP AC-Mesh in the garden with a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz network. It runs 'fine' but I do see some congestion now and again appearing on the 2.4Ghz channel.

Soldato
For me, I would always manually configure everything but as you get lots of APs over a big office building, possibly surrounded by neighbouring offices, then it might be worth switching on. If you save your config you can always try it and load the original config back up again if it’s not an improvement. The temptation is to constantly tinker with it, when in reality if it’s working fine, leave it alone!

Associate
I have 4 APs (3x AC Pro and 1x AC Lite) all wired with 2 networks both running 5ghz and 2.4 ghz, the second network is for my IoT devices, I use Google home and various IoT devices and I have had no problems with WiFi AI. It continually scans to make sure your APs are running on the optimum channels.

I have a USG , cloud key and 5 network switches are all Unifi but I doubt they make any difference to whether the AI works.

Soldato
The issue that is usually reported with WiFi AI is that it puts all your access points on the same channels, which can be a bit counter-productive.

The USG and switches have no effect on the function of WiFi AI.

Soldato
It continually scans to make sure your APs are running on the optimum channels.

As far as I’m aware it only scans once per day by default (at 3am, I think) or the other option is weekly. Definitely not constantly. Only the AP-AC-SHD can support constant scanning (which they brought in for WIPS/WIDS) and It’s never actually used.

Associate
As far as I’m aware it only scans once per day by default (at 3am, I think) or the other option is weekly. Definitely not constantly. Only the AP-AC-SHD can support constant scanning (which they brought in for WIPS/WIDS) and It’s never actually used.

Constantly, it is once a day yes, semantics.

Soldato
Quick question, I have the plusnet router which I’ve disabled WiFi and using 2 ubiquiti lite access points.

have WiFi covering the entire house with no issues, but doesn’t quite reach the garage, assuming due to thicker external walls. I’d rather not spend another £80 for another access point just to cover the garage, any other suggestions ?

was thinking of re-enabling the plusnet router on perhaps a guest WiFi or something as that is closer to the garage than my existing 2 APs.

Soldato
Ask on MM for someone upgrading another AC Lite, AC-Mesh or AC LR to sell it to you? I quite often fit AP-AC-Mesh to the outside of someone’s garage and that gives garden and garage WLAN.

Yes, it’s going to be £80+ and in my experience it usually makes sense just to do it properly from the outset. At least it’s a REALLY easy process to add another Ubiquiti AP.

Associate
Quick question, I have the plusnet router which I’ve disabled WiFi and using 2 ubiquiti lite access points.

have WiFi covering the entire house with no issues, but doesn’t quite reach the garage, assuming due to thicker external walls. I’d rather not spend another £80 for another access point just to cover the garage, any other suggestions ?

was thinking of re-enabling the plusnet router on perhaps a guest WiFi or something as that is closer to the garage than my existing 2 APs.

Why on a guest WiFi? Just use the same sid but on a different channel so you can seamlessly connect between the different aps

Caporegime
Just ordered an AC-Lite as coverage in my kitchen is shocking, but at least that should have the whole house covered now and still much better than the SH3.

Hundreds of feet my **** (AC-LR) :p.

Finally going to put the AC-LR on my living room ceiling as well, are there any considerations for which ethernet cable to get other than it been >Cat5e/6?

Soldato
You’ll never need anything better than a CAT 6, I bought a 10M CAT 6 cable for £ 2.94 inc delivery. Only go for higher grade if there’s no difference in cost.

Back
Top Bottom