Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
I just want a can of Mephiston Red :( based one Blood Angel by brush and remembered why I hated it so much! I’ve seen them being sold on eBay for as much as £70 :rolleyes:

Is it that specific colour you don't using with a brush? I have not based with Mephiston Red before but every colour I have used actually comes out smoother than a spray bottle by far (As long as I do several watered down coats), or is it that it takes too long?

£70 is just theft! Its a shame a lot of places charge extra to send aerosols, making it more expensive than going to the local Warhammer shop to buy it.

Associate
I just want a can of Mephiston Red :( based one Blood Angel by brush and remembered why I hated it so much! I’ve seen them being sold on eBay for as much as £70 :rolleyes:

I think army painter dragon red is a close match seen it advertised for 9 quid

Also I think gw warehouse opens up Monday for online orders

Soldato
Is it that specific colour you don't using with a brush? I have not based with Mephiston Red before but every colour I have used actually comes out smoother than a spray bottle by far (As long as I do several watered down coats), or is it that it takes too long?

£70 is just theft! Its a shame a lot of places charge extra to send aerosols, making it more expensive than going to the local Warhammer shop to buy it.

its just the time factor that gets my goat - even painting the sergeant from a squad, the trade off for quality over speed doesn’t appeal to me! I also paint to a reasonable standard this way, can’t say it bothers me using a rattle can!

Soldato
My 23rd March order has shipped today, so looks like they'll probably be ok to achieving their aim of re-opening the webstore on Friday

Soldato
its just the time factor that gets my goat - even painting the sergeant from a squad, the trade off for quality over speed doesn’t appeal to me! I also paint to a reasonable standard this way, can’t say it bothers me using a rattle can!

I also find putting down base coats with a brush tends to ruin the brush very quickly, I would guess that its because the models are not a flat surface and to get into all the nooks and crannies takes a bit of force and generally mucks the bristles up. I first found spray can base coats when I did a load of marines, finding Macragge blue was a huge leap time wise.
When I was painting my gold Stormcast I used Nissan gold from Halfords, £6.99 a can and you could not notice the difference between it and Retributor gold. Not sure if Halfords are open by they do a few none metallic reds. They do a red primer as well, although I have not tried it I think it is more the colour of Khorne red.

Soldato
Are those Halfords paints actually thin enough for modelling?

I've used them before, but not on models :p

I've had some mixed results

I use the black bodyshop primer and that's great, no loss of detail. I also tried the white plastic primer but that seems a bit different - others say it's great but i've not found it gives a nice smooth finish like the black bodyshop primer (though i maybe need to try 3 or 4 very light passes rather than the 1 or 2 passes i can do with the black) - it's perfectly useable but i'm tempted to try a corax white GW spray to compare. I see no reason the colours would be any 'thicker' than the primer sprays.

Soldato
That's nice to know. A friend was after some black so i'll let him know. Thanks

I agree with @Kenai. Halford black primer is great, easily as good as Games Workshop Chaos black. The white feels a little chalky and doesnt go on as well as the black, but I used it for my Nighthaunt regardless. With that said; the Halfords grey primer is my goto, I cant see the models very well when they are black. I would think if I primed in grey then used the white I would get better results with their white primer.

Soldato
I've just got myself back into painting, lost the will a bit through lockdown.

Doing my Warcry stuff, scenery and painted my first couple of Untamed Beasts and Iron Golem models.

Really tempted to order just because it's open again but going to have to resist.

I've got soooo much to paint I'm actually tempted to sell some built but unpainted and still in box stuff.

Soldato
Guys, if you are looking for paints, Vallejo has a fantastic lineup of acrylics for miniatures. I use them 5y now on my Infinity miniatures with great success.
If properly done, the paint remains as it was the first day more or less as I have some Panoceania miniatures having used them thousands of hours over half decade.

GW paints are really bad in comparison, having used them on my WH 40K & WHFB for over a decade

Soldato
These are the first marines I've painted in nearly 10 years. I made these up from a random pile of bits I got off ebay amongst other things, part plastic, part metal. They have been cut, sawed, paint stripped, carved, scraped and pinned together with stables. Some parts were thick with dried glue, or had chaos markings etc. I tried to make them like battle hardened and battered!

gw2020p4-1.jpg

gw2020p4-2.jpg

http://www.zen70509.zen.co.uk/gw2020/gw2020p4-1.jpg
http://www.zen70509.zen.co.uk/gw2020/gw2020p4-2.jpg

Soldato
Yes, it seems more marines are required now :cool: hello from Darlington!

I’ve kitbashed a Sergeant Jovan in to a Primaris Ancient. Waiting on a Blood Angels upgrade sprue to arrive to finish off the shoulder pads and head. But of fiddly cutting with this one, as the old arm holding the helmet is actually attached to the torso. I’ve actually managed to salvage that arm for another model too!

https://imgur.com/5pLlw1p
https://imgur.com/Mjd6XwR

Linked as I can’t resize images on my phone.

Soldato
Yes, it seems more marines are required now :cool: hello from Darlington!

I’ve kitbashed a Sergeant Jovan in to a Primaris Ancient. Waiting on a Blood Angels upgrade sprue to arrive to finish off the shoulder pads and head. But of fiddly cutting with this one, as the old arm holding the helmet is actually attached to the torso. I’ve actually managed to salvage that arm for another model too!

https://imgur.com/5pLlw1p
https://imgur.com/Mjd6XwR

Linked as I can’t resize images on my phone.

Looking good! I tried my first go with the texture base paints and spreader on some primaris marines. I’m not convinced it was any easier than pva and sand!

Back
Top Bottom