What on earth is this?!?!

Don
OP
it's a plant that resembles the anal area of a dead mammal in terms of looks and smell.

I'm truly blessed

worst thing is it's only worth a tenner, apparently my garden used to have a huge coy carp pond, so they were probably dotted around to feed the fish, yay

Soldato
it's a plant that resembles the anal area of a dead mammal in terms of looks and smell.

I'm truly blessed

worst thing is it's only worth a tenner, apparently my garden used to have a huge coy carp pond, so they were probably dotted around to feed the fish, yay

It very much looks like a Helicodiceros, I grow Aroids, I have some young Helicodiceros growing in pots hoping to get one to flower in the near future. I would be interested in buying one of your large tubers if you are interested in selling.

Soldato
mate you can have whatever that is, just let me know how I can find 'it' and how to send it and it's yours, just cover the postage :)

It might be difficult to dig up this time of year without killing it, if you can manage to dig it up with most of it's roots and leaves and put it in a suitable box to post I'll happily pay you for it

Soldato
mate you can have whatever that is, just let me know how I can find 'it' and how to send it and it's yours, just cover the postage :)
A tuber is the underground part of a plant that swells up to store energy
Without getting technical think of a tuber as similar to a bulb or corm is easiest way
It's either part of the stem. The root or the rhizome
Example would be potatoes
Which as far as I remember from many years ago horticultural college are actually stem tubers not root ones like most people think
Basically that's a Mediterranean type of lily again as far as I can remember anyway

Soldato
Yep its an Arum of some kind, probably whats mentioned above. Common names for the native arum maculatum include lords and ladies, adam and eve, cuckoo pintle all reflecting its tendency to resemble reproductive organs.

Arums are pollinated by carrion flies iirc hence they smell like decaying corpses, the Titan Arum one of the largest flowers in the world is the same

Oh I won't kill it, so it will flower, but i shall keep the window firmly shut :p

Good-o, looks rather fascinating I'm slightly envious. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom