Garden privacy affected by replacement fence

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
The cream ones are the same ones our house is built from. The lower red ones on right of picture are basic engineering bricks and then the darker red ones are the same as ones used to build house behind us.

Basically the brickies cocked up and thought they were to use the same brick as the house for each section of retaining wall they had. My neighbour on left has a red rough faced brick for the house so they used the same for their bit of retaining wall.

Think it cost the developer a fortune because they were supposed to use the cheapest brick going.

Typical developer :rolleyes:

B&Q are showing bamboo screen for collection or delivery

Permabanned
I’m sure attaching a bamboo screen would not be an issue especially if don’t follow the terrible advice, which will likely lead to you appearing on an episode of neighbours from hell. :D

Just screen it the worst that can happen is your asked to take it down, or attach it via stakes within your boundary.

UTT

UTT

Associate
OP
I see what you're saying now. Similarly though you wouldn't be allowed to hang bamboo screening on it either.

OP could speak to the fence owner, explain the issue and his proposed solution to it even if he has to then do it himself.

Hi and thanks for advice.

Unfortunately fence owner does not live in the property, they let it via manning staunton Estate agents. They've advised us that they would prefer we deal with the estate agent as they are managing the property. We are still waiting a week later for a response from estate agent when we raised the issue.

Nightmare

Soldato
outside my utility is similar so i know where your coming from ,used to be a picket fence and the old neighbours kids were always staring down and ball coming over ,the last neighbour did me a nice solid one and he paid for it

IMG-20200430-153458.jpg

think i would attach some posts to wall and have something like this https://www.sheds.co.uk/hartwood-6-x-6-willow-screen-fence-panel.html
after trying to sort it with the agents that is

Associate
I would voice that it should be like for like, especially in your instance where there are gaps in the fence and also the kickboard does not meet the fence either.
As it is a safety hazard that things could fall through the gaps or get pushed through (kids playing) onto people below, also being a rented property you never know who is going to move in above.

if it was me I would nail on some feather board in the gaps.

Soldato
I was told that the gaps in the fence are to stop strong winds blowing the fence over. Be warned that the rolls of bamboo aren't as good as they're made out to be and a determined nosey neighbour will still be able to see through it.

Associate
I can see the agents thinking I would call BS and get them to rectify it or just cover the gaps up yourself and not worry about it.
the wind is going to have a hard job to blow over a correctly installed fence at that location unless the posts snap due to rot where they enter the ground or unless they haven't used any concrete on the installation. (I can see from your photo there looks to be 3 newish posts? likely replaced wit the fence so that isn't gonna happen for 10 years)

wind loading will be low due to surrounding buildings I assume you on an estate. Wouldnt really matter anyway as that brick wall is basically a backstop to stop the postcrete from overturning which is the problem with normal fence installations without a proper lateral footing perpendicular to the fence panel. Again I'm assuming they have used concrete of some type on the installation and the post goes at least 600mm in the ground.

Soldato
If the person doing the fence was going for a hit and miss style, they've got it wrong. You're supposed to see the panel on the other side of the fence through the gap.

Back
Top Bottom