• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Soldato
you'd have to be stark raving mad to buy into 10th gen Intel, when AMD is said to be near to releasing it's 4th gen ryzen chips before the year is out and the ipc gain for AMD is around 15-17% higher than 3rd gen, further improvements to power usage and possible higher boost clocks.

is it the lure of possible 5.3ghz+ all core clock's thats suckering people into Intel's hype train, have people thought about the power requirements, up to 350w just for the cpu is down right stupid!

if ppl are serious about Intel, skip 10 gen and get a 9th gen system instead, prices are going to drop allowing you to get very good performance for relatively cheap, plus the power usage will be high but no where near what 10gen will pull

5.3ghz all core is cute and all of you want to brag to your mates, but it won't stop ryzen 4000 from being the fastest gaming cpu if the rumoured 15% ipc and clock speed increase is true

Soldato
5.3ghz all core is cute and all of you want to brag to your mates, but it won't stop ryzen 4000 from being the fastest gaming cpu if the rumoured 15% ipc and clock speed increase is true

my plan is for the next AMD offering, sell my 3900x for cheap and opt for the fastest or second fastest in the stack, bit off topic but looking forward to nvidia's next gen too, but for the threads sake, ppl looking for a upgrade look at 9th gen Intel or amd's offerings, or wait for the next gen Intel cpu's that may support gen 4 pci-express and be built on 10/7nm thus reducing power and becoming more competitive.

interestingly i think Intel should re think the tdp rating of the 10gen cpu's just look at the hedt 10900x a 10 core 20 thread part with similar clocks to the 10900k but the x chip has a 165w tdp, surely the 10900k will be closer to that figure (4.9ghz) rather than a 125w tdp?

Soldato
One of the reviewers covered the actual limits of the chip and the standard wattage across the chip as set by intel for the bios manufacturers.
It simply makes no sense.

Associate
I would stick to 9th gen if the 9900k prices were reasonable but £450 for a 9900k vs £350 for the 10700k which is basically a slightly binned 9900k

Soldato
I would stick to 9th gen if the 9900k prices were reasonable but £450 for a 9900k vs £350 for the 10700k which is basically a slightly binned 9900k

Frankly it might not even be binned, it just has different pins stuck to it, coupled with a small gap and better lapping, so it cools better.
Its what they might have done for the 9900k if they were not still sleeping in complacent mode.

Soldato
Just watched the gamers nexus and jay2cents videos on the new gen Intel chips and think its pretty much a case of nothing to see here.

Also what is the point of releasing this now, availability probably by June(?) to then release a whole new architecture at the end of the year. Other than a fast money grab to milk the last of the outgoing tech.

Maybe could understand keeping the 10th gen on 1151 sockets but even then why buy into end of gen cpus.

Pointless release.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel just don't get it do they? We want to see the back of 14nm and stop having to change our motherboards for every generation of processors.

Still rocking a 7th gen i5 right now and I honestly don't see any gains in upgrading. But if I do, I could well end up betraying Intel for AMD. :eek:

Soldato
There's a good Gamer's Nexus video benchmarking a lot of the generations of Intel chips over the last 10 years (and 3600 and 3700X on a couple of slides too):

Soldato
9th gen Intel will work in a Z370 Mainboard. Much appreciated effort from the manufacturers and bios file.

I think some 9th gen, definitely 8th gen (lower TDP) will work on Z170, and even H110. I ran an 8400 on an H110 board. Much appreciated effort Russian/Chinese modders for their bios files. :D
If they really wanted to, Intel could have done it previously. I sort of understand for Z490, because they're releasing power hungry furnaces. It might set past motherboards on fire...

ludicrous cheap or ludicrous expensive?

Expensive it seems :(

I certainly wouldn't mind grabbing a 65w 9900(non k) if it can be had cheap, you guys think it would be much of an upgrade from my 8700 (non k)?

Also will there be cheaper non overclockable chip-sets available at release of the 10th gen chips?

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
Wait £350 isn't the selling price for us trust me. It was a retail price when buying 1k of this 10700k. It will sell about 450 it think.

Not only this but its the not the price for end users, so once the VAT/taxes, price gouging, borderline price fixing due to low stock etc

This is every hardware release for years now and people still fall for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom