• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
The iPhone 4 was released ten years ago and shouldn't necessarily be held up as a yardstick for a 2020 phone. And anyway, is 326ppi a scientifically proven perfect number at which absolutely nobody can appreciate a higher pixel density? I'm not saying it's the wrong number for the SE (I don't think it is), but I'm not convinced that higher PPI won't benefit some people, and this is coming from someone happy with 1080p resolution.
From the amount of gasping at the time about how you couldn’t see the pixels on the iPhone 4, I don’t know what has changed

Soldato
The iPhone 4 was released ten years ago and shouldn't necessarily be held up as a yardstick for a 2020 phone. And anyway, is 326ppi a scientifically proven perfect number at which absolutely nobody can appreciate a higher pixel density? I'm not saying it's the wrong number for the SE (I don't think it is), but I'm not convinced that higher PPI won't benefit some people, and this is coming from someone happy with 1080p resolution.

You say that, but it actually is. Google display resolution vs distance. There is basically a radio between pixel pitch and distance where the individual pixels can no longer be seen by those with perfect human vision.

around 300dpi is the sweet spot for a device like a phone. A monitor can be much power because it should be further away.

OLED has higher ‘resolutions’ because it’s pentile. An LCD has all 3 sub pixels (RGB) in each pixel but OLED doesn’t. One of the colours are shared so you need more pixels to make up the difference and make it ‘retina’ (to use apples marketing) again.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Not everyone who's into tech has a grand to drop on a phone. If you have £420 spare and it's got to be iOS, this is an excellent device. However if it was me, I'd probably try and find the extra cash for an XS, which can be (iirc) picked up for £570 - new - on sale.

I know not everyone has a grand to drop on a phone, but if you're into phone tech you probably wouldnt consider this. Unless ofc that you only really use a phone for all the basic things and dont need anything famcy, then ofc this is more than fine

I would :D it's fine for my usage. But I have a 7, no need to upgrade for a while.

Yeah thats fair enough I suppose. Im on a 7 as well, i definitely need an upgrade

Soldato
The target audience is basically people who have iphones older than the 7 and who dont even know how to use one. Its for grandparents and older people who dont know anything about tech and for them this is probably fine.

I dont think a single person who's into tech would even consider buying this as their primary phone
I'm into tech and I'm strongly considering buying one, and moving away from Android in the process. I like the size, the power and the price, and if something a lot more appealing comes along in the next year (such as a small iPhone 12) I've not dropped so much money on it that I feel I can't ditch it. You only need to look at the SE thread to see how many people are considering one or have bought one, and everyone on this forum is presumably into tech

What do you consider fancy in a phone? The only thing I think I'd miss in moving to this is a display with smaller bezels, but to me that's worth the price. I've used phones with Face ID or equivalent in the past and it's fine but I still usually reach for the fingerprint sensor. Otherwise we're missing out on what, a better camera and a higher res screen? Meh

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I'm into tech and I'm strongly considering buying one, and moving away from Android in the process. I like the size, the power and the price, and if something a lot more appealing comes along in the next year (such as a small iPhone 12) I've not dropped so much money on it that I feel I can't ditch it. You only need to look at the SE thread to see how many people are considering one or have bought one, and everyone on this forum is presumably into tech

What do you consider fancy in a phone? The only thing I think I'd miss in moving to this is a display with smaller bezels, but to me that's worth the price. I've used phones with Face ID or equivalent in the past and it's fine but I still usually reach for the fingerprint sensor. Otherwise we're missing out on what, a better camera and a higher res screen? Meh

The 120hz display thats coming, better camera, bigger battery etc etc...

If there are so many android users who are considering buying the SE I guess that all this time they really wanted apple products but just didnt want to pay a high price for it.

Soldato
If there are so many android users who are considering buying the SE I guess that all this time they really wanted apple products but just didnt want to pay a high price for it.

Or maybe the OS isn't the most important thing to many people. After all, Android and iOS are within a whisker of each other these days. The SE is just a solid product and the Android equivalents are lacking in comparison.

As it happens, the SE makes me really excited for the Pixel 4a and the Pixel 5 (rumoured to be more mid range). Maybe it'll push Google into stepping up, because the SE is going to hurt the Android midrange market.

Soldato

The only thing of all those that users actually need is the bigger battery.

I've never had a phone at the value the of the market, but for me the SE represents such good value that it's worth considering, particularly as I'm no longer into rooting and tinkering with my android phone which always used to be my big reason for using them

Soldato

I think there is a question of value for money with any device, the iPhone 8 was £700, the SE is basically the same phone but with a cracking processor and is £400, time has passed but it is good value for money.

Most people don't have an iPhone, most people don't have a high end phone, it's the lower to middle part of the market which Apple has neglected and I get why. But for continued growth they had to offer something that wasn't pushing the best part of a grand really. Andriod has something like 70% market share in Europe, a phone at this price point from Apple will undoubtedly help cut into that.

Soldato
I'm no longer into rooting and tinkering with my android phone which always used to be my big reason for using them

Same, I just want my phone to work and last until the end of the day. It's really about the apps and for the most part they are the same on Android or iOS.

I have a well organised set of home screens and widgets on my Android phone, but I feel ill whenever I see the state of my father or borther in law's Android phones... Much as I think iOS needs a revamp I can see why it hasn't as it's so familiar and simple for many.

My biggest concern is around security and privacy, I don't think Apple are saints but Google annoy me with the amount of data that is being harvested constantly just to serve up more bloody ads. Shame as I like so many of their services but as the saying goes if you ain't paying for the product, you are the product.

Soldato
My two cents, I own a P4XL and one of those shiny new 13” iPad Pros. I quite like that setup as I have the best of both worlds - a decent phone which is updated regularly and has great features (for my usage it’s far better than any iPhone) and I have a tablet which runs a decent OS and has a great app and accessory offering (far better than anything offered in Android!!)

So, dunno what that makes me. Switching ecosystems is annoying so I just use both. I subscribe to apps on Google Play after buying discounted Google Play vouchers from Boots with my Curve Card and then sign in with my Google account on the same apps in iPadOS. I’ve also bought some iTunes vouchers from Boots via Curve to buy apps such as Duet.

September/October will be interesting - P5XL or iPhone 2020? We’ll see :)

Associate

I do think there is an element of truth to this. A lot of the things Apple were falling short on have been rectified so at that point there isn’t anything to stop people on the Android side jumping in. Especially as you can Google up your iPhone quite easily.

Soldato
So, for me, having gotten tired of Samsung with the Note 10:

If this thing has the same 4/5s slab design that has been rumoured, as well as a flat screen again, I'm probably switching. I'm so sick of the damn curved screens.

My main reservation is lack of app drawer customisation and lack of default app customisation. As far as I'm aware, both rectifiable with jailbreaking?

Soldato
This is going to be a nice upgrade for me.
I'm going from iphone x to iphone 12 pro.

* Bigger screen
* Bigger battery
* Higher resolution
* Brighter screen with better HDR
* 120hz
* Better camera with Lidar
* More RAM and A14 chip
* New design, returning to flat metalic edges
* Small notch
* Faster face unlock
* 5G networking

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

This is going to be a nice upgrade for me.
I'm going from iphone x to iphone 12 pro.

* Bigger screen
* Bigger battery
* Higher resolution
* Brighter screen with better HDR
* 120hz
* Better camera with Lidar
* More RAM and A14 chip
* New design, returning to flat metalic edges
* Small notch
* Faster face unlock
* 5G networking

Is face unlock getting faster? I thought it was still the same tech

Associate
I haven't had one since the 5s, I've been OnePlus since then but I think I'll be getting the 5.4" iPhone 12 when it comes out. I can see it see it selling extremely well if as expected it's a bit cheaper than the bigger models.

Associate
I haven't had one since the 5s, I've been OnePlus since then but I think I'll be getting the 5.4" iPhone 12 when it comes out. I can see it see it selling extremely well if as expected it's a bit cheaper than the bigger models.

Any particular reason? Boredom? A need for iOS based apps?

I really do find the recent wave of Pro Android user now jumping over to Apple quite fascinating.

Soldato

I really do find the recent wave of Pro Android user now jumping over to Apple quite fascinating.

The better operating system and ecosystem will get everyone eventually. A lot of people will start with Android because it's cheap and like a bike with stabilisers then graduate their way up to the iPhone.

Associate

Partly boredom yes and OnePlus no longer represent great value in my opinion. Also I just got an iPad this week and I'm really enjoying it so it seems like a good time to switch :D

Soldato
Android compares really well when you just consider the phone but once you start looking wider to other devices and accessories then Apple pulls well ahead.

An iPhone and iPad combination is just years ahead of what you can get elsewhere. Once you start adding thing in like the smart watch and laptops it’s a clear cut above the rest in the way it all works together. Unless you need windows of course....

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Android compares really well when you just consider the phone but once you start looking wider to other devices and accessories then Apple pulls well ahead.

An iPhone and iPad combination is just years ahead of what you can get elsewhere. Once you start adding thing in like the smart watch and laptops it’s a clear cut above the rest in the way it all works together. Unless you need windows of course....

I used to have an ipad, but just sold it as the iphones got better and better. Its just at the point now where everything you do on an ipad you can do on an iphone. Even the screens are getting bigger as well, so its at the point where unless you really need to do productivity work on it (which most people will use a laptop/macbook anyway) or just want a bigger screen, there's no real reason to pick one up imo.

Back
Top Bottom