PC Gaming Dead?

Soldato
It's alive, although it seems Nvidia would like to murder it with their GPU pricing.

I had to do a quick look at the gpus launched in 2006 ( thread year ) the legendary 8800GTX was released that year for $600. That is $766 now after inflation.

Had a look at the price for a 2080Ti in america via an US rainforest site. There is a ROG strix version for $1176. With that said i plugged those numbers into an online percentage calculator and it came out with just over 42% difference. This tells me NVIDIA has inflated the prices 42%
( though that isn't exactly a fair statement as i haven't taken into consideration increased (maybe????) rnd costs ect ect..)

But certainly the price we pay for their top end gpus has inflated 42% more than baseline inflation.

@humbug ^ you may find that interesting.

Soldato
@FloppyPoppy Interesting numbers, and scary.

Is interesting reading through the thread.

In 2006, thoughts of the PC having release parity with consoles was dreamland.

Opposite to PC gaming dying, it is actually in a much STRONGER position with no shady console ports either owing to the consoles adopting a near PC architecture.

Soldato
@FloppyPoppy Interesting numbers, and scary.

Is interesting reading through the thread.

In 2006, thoughts of the PC having release parity with consoles was dreamland.

Opposite to PC gaming dying, it is actually in a much STRONGER position with no shady console ports either owing to the consoles adopting a near PC architecture.

Absolutely! Now we are verging ( i believe ) on more large scale multi platform thanks to certain companies "playing nice" with each other... something that would have been absolutely unbelievable in 2006. I think consoles have come a huge way too! the Xbox X when that launched as astonishing! As im sure the new consoles will also be.

Soldato
as soon as the consoles adopt native keyboard mouse support for fps game its dead. unless you want to play aimbots with the Chinese.

I use my PC to play games using a controller. Don't want to stinky mouse and keyboard. It's not about that, it's about performance.

Associate
I use my PC to play games using a controller. Don't want to stinky mouse and keyboard. It's not about that, it's about performance.
I think you missed my point.
but I'll comment on yours. what performance? there is no value in the performance at the moment. Nextconsoles will be a tempting option for anyone that's been pushed down to mid-range components.

my original comment was that almost all multiplayer games are overrun with hackers so if I could play on the next console with a keyboard and mouse in fps games I would be gone.

If you have the money and don't mind cheaters or don't play online then pc all day long.

Soldato
I had to do a quick look at the gpus launched in 2006 ( thread year ) the legendary 8800GTX was released that year for $600. That is $766 now after inflation.

Had a look at the price for a 2080Ti in america via an US rainforest site. There is a ROG strix version for $1176. With that said i plugged those numbers into an online percentage calculator and it came out with just over 42% difference. This tells me NVIDIA has inflated the prices 42%
( though that isn't exactly a fair statement as i haven't taken into consideration increased (maybe????) rnd costs ect ect..)

But certainly the price we pay for their top end gpus has inflated 42% more than baseline inflation.

and in 2013 i paid (the 780Ti was released on the 7 Nov 2013)
BDaYBIw.png

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Next gen consoles are going to be very interesting decision, aside from the functionality of a PC which is not question from a gaming perspective I am seriously going the next gen consoles, i am getting sick and tired of cheating in FPS games. The only thing that would make be spend another 1-2k on a PC upgrade will be VR, until then my aging I5-2500k and 1080ti will have to manage. I only have the 1080 as i had an amazing deal on superwide screen monitor which was not that amazing as my old card struggled to run anything on it :)

Associate
Next gen consoles are going to be very interesting decision, aside from the functionality of a PC which is not question from a gaming perspective I am seriously going the next gen consoles, i am getting sick and tired of cheating in FPS games. The only thing that would make be spend another 1-2k on a PC upgrade will be VR, until then my aging I5-2500k and 1080ti will have to manage. I only have the 1080 as i had an amazing deal on superwide screen monitor which was not that amazing as my old card struggled to run anything on it :)
Absolutely, the only things keeping me on PC is VR and Star Citizen. Most of my gaming now is done on Stadia, I’ve been wanting to upgrade my PC for awhile, but I can’t justify it. I would be better of selling and buying a Quest for VR and wait for Star Citizen to hit beta (queue the jokes..) and rebuild to be honest

Soldato

Your figures are wholly flawed.

Your inflation only assumes a static product function and zero value added.

The performance increase and improvement in game graphics has been a seismic shift.

If you look at comparable performance to 06' graphics, the actual cost of achieving that has dropped in cost considerably. A significantly greater reduction in comparable performance vs cost compared to the cost increase achieved with 2020 flagship from 06' base.

I remember this thread first time round....

PC gaming still going strong.

Caporegime
PS 4 pro/5 for the exclusives and PC for everything else.

I have my PC hooked up to OLED TV too so can use it just as if I where using my PS 4 pro

Soldato
Your figures are wholly flawed.

Your inflation only assumes a static product function and zero value added.

The performance increase and improvement in game graphics has been a seismic shift.

If you look at comparable performance to 06' graphics, the actual cost of achieving that has dropped in cost considerably. A significantly greater reduction in comparable performance vs cost compared to the cost increase achieved with 2020 flagship from 06' base.

I remember this thread first time round....

PC gaming still going strong.

I never claimed they were 100% accurate. In fact i did quite the contrary as you will see i mentioned that my numbers weren't exactly fair as i hadn't taken into account rnd ect ect. I was making some basic numbers to see what sort of basic financial difference in the market. I wasn't looking at added value/performance.

You do live up to your name though ;)

Back
Top Bottom