*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
I've been ordering direct from big k and getting the restaurant premium stuff. Big Chunks and varied varieties plus free delivery when spending over 30 quid.

Man of Honour
would love a brisket but everything I read suggests you need a large one for it to cook well and that inevitably leads to a higher cost and a lot of meat between just two of us...but maybe that’s not a bad thing!
Thank you all on the thread for guidance, really useful

Can you cook sous vide? If so you can definitely make a smaller one very moist as you would smoke only for smokiness rather than tenderness so can cook for a little time.

Soldato
https://www.aldi.co.uk/kamado-ceramic-egg-bbq-grill/p/701432333197500

Any thoughts on this guys?

Don't have the space for it at the moment, but tempted to grab it for when I do as if any see me having the money for a Komodo or Green Egg anytime soon!

Worth the money or get something dirt cheap to get me started?

I ordered one after doing bit of reading and beibg recommended as a great place to start by a friend with a big green egg and one of these on the side. Just got yo hope you get one that isn't damaged on delivery.

Soldato
I ordered one after doing bit of reading and beibg recommended as a great place to start by a friend with a big green egg and one of these on the side. Just got yo hope you get one that isn't damaged on delivery.

Did a bit more reading and pulled the trigger on one last night too!

Probably won't be able to use it till after lockdown as I don't think a balcony is really suitable for a smoker haha :p

Will have to wait until I can use mums garden!

Permabanned
Chaps!

The misses has given me permission to upgrade our cheapo BBQ to something more substantial. Looking between two different BBQs, both have hinged lids that I'm looking for so there is no chance to drop the lid or have to find a place to put it. Max Budget is £350 and I want a charcoal one, not a fan of gas ones.

Looking to cook regular BBQ food as, BBQ'd whole chickens as well as try my hand at smoking the odd rib. I'm not a massive BBQ guy, yet, so not sure what is best. I'm eyeing up two but need some help to decide! Also if there was another recommendation I'd love to hear it.

The Weber Master Touch E5775 - £340
Is the E5775 version which comes with a central cast-iron grilling thing to sear steaks and the like. Is a weber, so lots of accessories which means I can try lots of things without having to really experiment (as in there will be a youtube video for that accessory).

Napoleon PRO22K - £270
Good reputation but certainly not as widespread as Weber, cast iron cooking surface and you can adjust the heat by moving the grill up or down. Cheaper but not as many accessories so I'd have to experiment on my own (which might not be a bad thing). Replacment parts harder to sort as its a Canadian brand.

Thanks!

Grady

Soldato
I own the weber but not had any experience with Napoleon but I can highly recommend the Weber, just be aware if a hinged lid is essential the lid itself is not hinged but had a holder at the back that you place it in, don't let that put you off what's an excellent BBQ though.

never used the cast iron attachment either unfortunately.

I have smoked and cooked large joints in there too with great outcomes as well as standard sausage and burger BBQing.

Associate
I own the weber but not had any experience with Napoleon but I can highly recommend the Weber, just be aware if a hinged lid is essential the lid itself is not hinged but had a holder at the back that you place it in, don't let that put you off what's an excellent BBQ though.

never used the cast iron attachment either unfortunately.

I have smoked and cooked large joints in there too with great outcomes as well as standard sausage and burger BBQing.
The model linked to in the post does have a hinged lid and not just a holder. You can see the large metal hinge on one of the photos.

Permabanned
I've gone back a few pages here and a few folks have recommended the Napoleon. And the fact its 70 quid cheaper is helping its cause!

But... the weber is a weber so I know it will be good.

Soldato
I've gone back a few pages here and a few folks have recommended the Napoleon. And the fact its 70 quid cheaper is helping its cause!

But... the weber is a weber so I know it will be good.

I've got the Weber MT and it's a great bit of kit, really versatile. The hinge on that model is a good addition. I modded my WSM to have a hinge and it's a god send, I miss it on my MT. I've not seen a Napoleon in the flesh but a lot of people seem to rate them quite highly now and if I was buying new it would be a hard choice between them! Realistically, you probably won't be disappointed with either. :)

Associate
I went for the Master Touch Premium, was fortunate to get it when WOWBBQ were doing 10% off with a code but it doesn’t seem to be valid any more.
I have no regrets at all, it has performed flawlessly and I love that it’s what the majority of others who provide recipes and tutorials use, greatly reducing my chance of interpreting something incorrectly/generally getting stuff wrong.
My only word of warning, especially for people with as low self control/perchance for impulse buying as myself, the accessories alone (thermometer, cover, briqs, wood chips, etc.) add up v quickly!

Soldato
The model linked to in the post does have a hinged lid and not just a holder. You can see the large metal hinge on one of the photos.

unfortunately the ancient version of IE at work doesn't load the website properly so I could only get the original image and looked identical to my weber so I made a presumption, loaded it in Edge and I now want a hinge for mine :) (although I've never felt like I needed one, I just want one)

Soldato
unfortunately the ancient version of IE at work doesn't load the website properly so I could only get the original image and looked identical to my weber so I made a presumption, loaded it in Edge and I now want a hinge for mine :) (although I've never felt like I needed one, I just want one)

Unknown BBQ do a hinge for the kettle as well as the WSM! After fitting one on my WSM a couple years ago, I want one on my MT as well. You don't realise how useful it is until you have it, it's such a good mod, just a shame its £50 for a bit of metal though.

My only word of warning, especially for people with as low self control/perchance for impulse buying as myself, the accessories alone (thermometer, cover, briqs, wood chips, etc.) add up v quickly!

BBQing is a very slippery slope.. :D

Soldato
If anyone needs any lumpwood, bigk offering 10% off using maygrill10 code, their restaurant grade stuff is fantastic. Free delivery for orders over £30, it's been 3 days rather than next day, but still quite quick turnaround.

Caporegime
Any opinions on the Weber spirit 2 310 bbq?? Need to replace my old one that’s on its way out, lasted me a good 10yrs so cant complain.

Not sure if there are any huge differences between the original spirit and the newer spirit 2 models??

Weber’s seem to be highly rated and come with a 10 yr warranty which is always handy.

Back
Top Bottom