Time for a new case - show me what you got

Soldato
I am currently using a 'Fractal Design Define R2 Midi Tower Case - Black Pearl' which I got from OcUK on May 2010!

A different case has never been on my mind as did not have the room for something different before. However now I have more room (different desk) and noticed yesterday things inside the case were cramped, the two front fans are not connected and the top fan is not connected either.

My mothered is a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 -https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-7-rev-10#ov

Spec me a new case and show me some examples.

VjE4Pkq.jpg

AmT0bjO.jpg

If anyone is wondering, the orange string was my girlfriends idea to keep the window from slamming shut :D

Soldato
OP
I've still yet seen one to the beat Corsair 570X (Mirror), turn on the PC you can see all the RGB mod's of your choice, turn it off and it becomes a cool looking mirror...
Looks bright! Not a fan much of all the RGB stuff, would prefer just more space for airflow and a solid build.

The Pure Base 500 looks quite good, is that big enough for my 6 HDDs/SSDs? I've always wondered about getting a Lian Li case, are they purely overpriced for the name or are they worth the extra money?

Soldato
Well you can count out the Lian-PC 011D for a start, your CPU cooler wont fit! it might do in the XL version though. Your noctua case fans would look rather odd in there too.

My choice would be Phanteks P600s - Most obvious to me in your choice would be another Fractal Design. (Define R6 or Define 7 or Define 7 XL)

Soldato
OP
Instead of creating a new thread I thought I would ask here.
Regarding heat vs noise, is it a general thing that people have the side on their cases?

Having the side on my case, temps inside get quite high possibly due to the two intake fans not being on. This makes the GPU fan run higher and create more noise.
With the side off, the GPU fan doesnt go as high (less heat) so its actually quieter with the side off

Maybe I should just swap the 2 HDDs out for SSD & External for media, remove the DVD drive and connect the 120 Noctua fan on the front for intake. (removing the two fans that came with the case)

edit. What a great idea having SSD mounts, HDD mounts and power all at the bottom now instead of near the front. Is this how most new cases work? The only problem would be the number , due to me currently having 4 SSDs and 2 HDD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XTiw41lpXI

Last edited:
Soldato
Most cases will see better temperatures with the side panel off. You're creating a huge amount of extra ventilation by doing that.

As for the HDD placement, yes, that is quite standard now. On the upside, it means the drives no longer get in the way of airflow. On the downside, cases generally have far fewer drive mounts now, and there's a load of wasted space in the case (unless you watercool, at which point that space is handy for a pump/res combo).

Back
Top Bottom