• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Soldato
If you are looking at getting a new 10th series chip don't hold your breath, especially if you want a retail chip with 3-year warranty. Intel aren't even taking orders for box parts yet, and they have not released product information or part numbers for the retail versions. Looks like OEM tray will be the only way to get one for the foreseeable future.

V F

V F

Soldato
If you are looking at getting a new 10th series chip don't hold your breath, especially if you want a retail chip with 3-year warranty. Intel aren't even taking orders for box parts yet, and they have not released product information or part numbers for the retail versions. Looks like OEM tray will be the only way to get one for the foreseeable future.

What's the reason for that?

V F

V F

Soldato
They are still having 14nm shortages, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that wafer space is being saved for Xeons with bigger margins, and OEMs will take priority for what is available.

Artificial shortages to hike prices creating false demand so they can keep the prices hiked?

Soldato
Artificial shortages to hike prices creating false demand so they can keep the prices hiked?

Nope, just shortages due to a few factors, firstly the transition to 10nm not happening in any meaningful way at all so far, secondly they are using more, and more wafer space just to stay competitive and sell the same number of CPU's; the 10900K is obviously bigger than the 9900K, which was bigger than the 8700K before it. Finally you have the increase demand on computing in general, with +261 million PC's shipped in 2019 vs 2018, and that is climbing still regardless of the current world conditions.

Soldato
Link to how many of them 261 million are Intel ?

Using a very, very crude market share based calculation for the whole of 2019, you could guesstimate that it would be around 77%, but given the shortages it maybe less than that, you then also need to factor in how many were low end embedded/laptop type CPU's.

Associate
Feels like a downgrade as even the 3950x is behind the 9700k in raw gaming performance, I just need the extra threads for frame time stability and multi tasking

Soldato
Feels like a downgrade as even the 3950x is behind the 9700k in raw gaming performance, I just need the extra threads for frame time stability and multi tasking

a) You game at 1080p with a £400 CPU?
b) The bold part doesn't add up. How an 8 core is better at multi tasking while gaming than a 16 core? Hell I use a 12 core playing WOT (a CPU 2 thread heavy game) and rendering things at the same time on the 3900X.

Soldato

but your only talking around 4-5% faster real world use (gaming manly) compared to a 3900/3950x and the AMD platform has room to upgrade which z390 doesn't, i mean sure you can go up to the 9900k/kf but after that you need a new platform.

AMD has always excelled at multi thread performance, it was good on 2nd gen ryzen and 3rd gen is a pretty nice boost to that, plus with added support for fast ram on 3rd gen its a very tempting option that should be high on your buy list. We don't know quite yet what intels 10th gen will bring to the table, from initial looks it is still behind in multi thread tasks compared to 3rd gen ryzen, yes gaming looks to improve on 9th gen but at the cost of high power usage, although thats not confirmed yet, just look at the new z490 mobo's most have active cooling on the vrm's which isn't and encouraging sign for the chips.

and worse news for Intel, AMD are said to be releasing 4th gen ryzen before the years out, putting even more pressure on poor old Intel

Soldato

why did you buy the 9700k if you already knew how unstable frame times are without HT on Intel CPUs? The 9700k always seemed like a product made for people who don't know what they are buying

Associate
I grabbed the 9700k on a whim really and hadn't heard about the frametime issues at that point even reviews at the time stated it was a solid gaming cpu, ony shortly after purchase did I notice the frame time issues and see them start to crop up on YouTube vids and it was too late by then.

I game at 3440 by 1440 on a 2080 super.

I've come into a bit of doah so wanted to sort my frametime issue out and possibly grab a 2080ti if I find one cheap enough till ampere appears which will hopefully be September/October time

Soldato
I grabbed the 9700k on a whim really and hadn't heard about the frametime issues at that point even reviews at the time stated it was a solid gaming cpu, ony shortly after purchase did I notice the frame time issues and see them start to crop up on YouTube vids and it was too late by then.

I game at 3440 by 1440 on a 2080 super.

I've come into a bit of doah so wanted to sort my frametime issue out and possibly grab a 2080ti if I find one cheap enough till ampere appears which will hopefully be September/October time

I thought you bought the 9900K, and a Maximius XI code recently to try and fix the micro-stutter?

Back
Top Bottom