The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
Fstoppes did a piece on it too.

I've shot canon and Sony and could not tell either

So your earlier comment that said, "The colours are better on sony, more natural and raw whilst the canon colours are pre cooked" doesn't make much sense if you couldn't tell the difference :p

I think we're arguing over whether a Porsche or a Ferrari is better. Matter of opinion really, both are going to do an amazing job, the limitation isn't ever likely to be the gear, it's the person using it (certainly in my case).

Soldato
So your earlier comment that said, "The colours are better on sony, more natural and raw whilst the canon colours are pre cooked" doesn't make much sense if you couldn't tell the difference :p

I think we're arguing over whether a Porsche or a Ferrari is better. Matter of opinion really, both are going to do an amazing job, the limitation isn't ever likely to be the gear, it's the person using it (certainly in my case).
They are better. The blind test asked which raw image they liked better and many chose Sony, another one had Sony fuji canon etc and ask people to pick the Canon and barely anyone got the Canon pic right.

So much for canon having better colour science lol.

And there are limitation related to gear, I can't shoot sports with 1fps canon mirrorless toys with subpar af on lenses bigger than my Sony 400mm F2.8 (there is no rf mount equivalent yet some of there lenses are just as big lmao ;))

Stick with canon and I'll stick with my gear that's better than canon in almost every catagory.

Soldato
I think someones just a bit bitter that they've pumped all their money into Sony and now Canon have decided to take the mirrorless game seriously.

And

And

Associate
At the end of the day it's the photographer (and their post-processing skills) that makes the biggest difference, not the system. The camera is a means of recording what the photographer sees and the 'darkroom' is the means to then show how the photographer sees.

Soldato
I had the A7Riii and eos r at the same time and I used the canon more. I recently moved to the A7Riv which if im honest has been dissapointing for me but I think most of that is down to the focus being dire with the 200-600. Just the feel and layout of the canon was much better as were the colours but the AF while better than the 5D4 is like a dinosaur. The R5 was announced just after i sold up my canon stuff which was annoying but it will easily be an A7iii killer if not A7iv killer IF the specs and price are right. Something tells me £4k though.
Not being judgemental in any way but are the issues between the 200-600 specific to that camera?
I'm wavering between a A7r3 and the IV.

Associate
Not being judgemental in any way but are the issues between the 200-600 specific to that camera?
I'm wavering between a A7r3 and the IV.
If you have or want the 200-600 then don't buy the R4. Lots of info out there on the AF issues. I've gone back to the R3 and added an A9 now. With the reply i had back from sony yesterday (Japan and Tokyo) we won't be getting a fix anytime soon.

Soldato
The A9 and 200-600 is a marriage made in heaven. My A7R3 had focus hunting issues, albeit moderate, with the 200-600 but it was enough to make me switch to the A9.The difference is night and day and the IQ has no real world difference for me.

Associate
I was missing so many shots with the R4 and 200-600 IQ didn't play a part, even static objects I was seeing over 60% of shots missed. The A9 feels like cheating after the R3 and R4, The crop factor was good but the file size and missed shots are not something I will miss.

Associate
I have a set of Neewer tubes. They were cheap and feel pretty cheap but they work fine. There is a little play in them and they feel a bit crusty when mounting them. Some of the reviews I read mentioned them damaging the electrical contacts on the camera mount or the lens and while hey don't mount that smoothly, if done with care I have had no issues at all. I did look at the Kenko ones, but they are quite expensive and don't look much better. The whole point of them is that they are cheap, if I was going to do macro seriously I would get a proper macro lens!

Dave

Soldato
Well I made the jump to Sony. Bought a A73 & A7r2 (as a backup) along with the FE 70-200 F4, the Loawa 100mm macro and FE200-600. I'll hopefully sort out the wide angled lenses and a couple of primes next week.

Just need to familiarise myself with the layout and appropriate settings having come from Yashica, Minolta, Fuji and Nikon.

I was out a few days ago and bumped into someone with an A73 and he was indicating standby mode on the camera was causing him to miss a number of shots. Is this a common issue for the A73 or is it due to not having the camera set up properly?

I couldn't really understand his problem since every camera I've come across never took more than half a second to one second to kick in from standby.

Caporegime
That's what I assumed. It must have been him then.

I mean unless you are sitting there with a tripod trying to shoot birds but for some reason you are not looking through your EVF but just looking over the camera and you see something and then wants to shoot it straight away. Then yes, you would be too late.

To solve the problem, anticipate by looking throught he EVF.

Associate
I am looking to change over to Sony from Canon. I currently have a 5d3 and lenses and I am looking at a Sony A73. Has anyone made this switch, what have your experiences been? Good points, any bad points?

Raymond has given me some words of wisdom about it all recently and thought I would also post in here too. I was also watching a video the other evening regarding a number of the Sigma lenses that it was saying effectively have a mc11 built in, which is the extra bit of length on the lens at the mount end? Is that true? It was suggesting the the Youtuber felt Sigma may redesign those lenses soon so be like the ones that have a "DN" after them which apparently means they were designed for mirrorless? If that's the case does it make those lenses a bad buy now, if they are to be replaced soon?

Thanks so much in advance for your help and advice.

Caporegime
Well, I've made my transition now.

5D4 with 11 Canon lenses to A73 with 9 Sony lenses + 1 Canon lens.

I found the MC-11 works very well on most Canon lenses adapted, I had them side by side for a year and shot weddings with them at the same time. Albeit on different levels, the later on in the cross over, the less I used the Canon as I was slowly accumulating more Sony lenses and thus adapting less.

5tf56Ga.jpg

5ZKTbRh.jpg

The joy of having both system in the car, together they are worth 3 x the value of my car lol.

s86n4D4.jpg

Sigma 20/1.4 Art - This isn't a lens I used much even when I had it on Canon, I use it for rooms when I need to get back further but want the extra 2 stop over the f/2.8 in the 16-35
Canon 24/1.4 L mk2 - It's fine in the day but in low light it struggles to hit focus. One time shooting in twilight and the A73 was just not hitting focus.
35/1.4 L mk2 - This was fine, i could have kept this but it's quite a long lens for a 35mm and on the adaptor it becomes almost telephoto length.
Sigma 50/1.5 Art - This was very good. I guess it should as it is a Sigma lens
85/1.2 L mk2 - It works fine, sharper than i could get on the Canon because it was hitting focus with eye-AF with that 1.2 bokeh. It does however shows the lens' weakness as it is an old design (like 20 years) and it's not as sharp as the 85GM
100/2.8 L Macro - I only use this lens for wedding rings shot but I struggle with the MC-11 with this to focus even on average items around, it hunts around too much. It's not a problem if i had stick with it using as manual which was what I use it for.
135/2.8 L - Didn't use it on the body in anger so can't comment

16-35/2.8 L - Fine
24-70/2.8 L - Fine also

45/2.8 TSE - manual lens.

The only thing that stood out for me is how I struggle with the 100L but most of the others I could use it almost like native.

The first thing you notice when you move over are

1 - menus, I know everyone goes on about this, you will too....compare to Canon, it makes no sense, things are scattered that should be grouped together. Spend about 30mins to make your own custom menus with the useful stuff like Format, White balance etc
2 - the size, its not that tall, no place for my pinky to go so I had to buy a little grip to add height
3 - touch screen is turd - I only ever use it to focus when its on the tripod. It does nothing else really.
4 - then you start using it, the AF will blow you away. the entire screen is focus points (almost), assign Eye-Af to a back button (my advice us assign one back button as general focus, and one other back button as eye-af focus). So when there things like cars or static stuff, use the normal back button to focus. or use the normal back button focus mostly but when you have a face, press eye-af and watch it lock on. BOOM! its like cheating. You don't even need to have the AF point on the face, the AF point can be miles away.
5 - how many shots it can take per second. I had to lower it to about M because shooting at 10 FPS just wastes memory card
6 - You will save money in SD cards compare to CF. The sweet spot is 64G - 128G cards. Get 2, shoot dual. UHS-1 is fine because one of them is UHS-1 so that's the fastest you will get. It goes in facing the wrong way...weird
7 - learn to turn off the camera when you change lenses, with it on, there is a static on the sensor (so i've been told). Otherwise you will be cleaning it quite often compare to having the Canon
8 - I like the in camera charging, I use the USB-C socket, you can use micro usb too. The camera doesn't come with a charger but you can get a cheap £12 one on amazon and use your iPhone charger as the brick.
9 - The rear thumb dial I hit it quite often which changes things like bracketing, so keep an eye on it, or you can disable the whole wheel. Unfortunately, there is no sliding lock like the Canon to stop this.
10 - Sony flashes - or all mirrorless flashes do not have IR beam focus assist, however I found Sony's focusing with native lenses good enough to shoot weddings on dance floors so not a problem.

I found weather sealing to be fine. Don't let people scare you.

Wptziwo.jpg

p..s I have all Godox flashes, great value and just as good as the Canon.

Ha6zboz.jpg

eHcjpv0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom