Snowrunner

Associate
From the creators of Mudrunners:

I have been playing it since it's release and I just couldn't get into it for the first 4-5 hours, in fact, I often got frustrated by it and was close to not bother anymore. But once I got a few upgrade, better vehicles and got more experienced on how to drive these trucks, the frustrations turned into enjoyment. It one of the few games that got me really hooked, I feel its a really good balance between difficulty/frustration and rewards.

The biggest fun however is doing this online with friends, 4 player coop. Alas, cause it's on Epic most of the online friends I have won't get it, I did try public games and although a few have been really good, there are more and more people that simply grief (running amok, crashing into things, even a few people I caught using their winches to pull over trailers or objective making them near impossible to finish.

So I though of making a call out here to see if anyone with the game is interested in doing coop using OCUK discord to coordinate and have some fun with the game. Leave a comment here if you're interested.

Cheers.

PS. I couldn't find a thread on this game in the first 5 pages so I made one, if there's already one, happy to move this into that thread.

Soldato
A friend plays it but i dunno seems more like a winching game as they just sink into stuff far too easily and too deep when some terrain doesnt look that bad but as you go on it it turns bad. Wouldnt mind a quick go on a demo but i wouldnt buy it.

Associate
So after ploughing a fair few hours in on this, it updated and lost all my progress! If anyone one else is playing could I pinch a copy of their savegame. I had explored the first two areas Michigan and the dam area. And completed a fair few missions. About 22 hours worth of effort :(

Associate
So after ploughing a fair few hours in on this, it updated and lost all my progress! If anyone one else is playing could I pinch a copy of their savegame. I had explored the first two areas Michigan and the dam area. And completed a fair few missions. About 22 hours worth of effort :(

Hi,

You're welcome to try this: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VpPIsf3c2kyBrIOhl_e4RWx5uRUVA94l?usp=sharing

I'm at a similar stage to when you lost your save so hopefully you'll be able to get going again with minimal differences.

Hope it works, good luck!

R.

Soldato
Loving this at the moment. I had a lot of fun with Spintires and Mudrunner so knew what I was getting in to, and this seems a lot more fleshed out than previous attempts.

Multiplayer is still very buggy, but playable for the most part.

Associate
I've been enjoying this quite a bit for the past week. So far I've done all the tasks on Black River and I'm half way through Smithville Dam and I'm up to level 12. I did jump ahead a bit and go to Alaska for some scouting and found the Royal BM17 and despite no diff locks it has gone everywhere I've needed it to so far so time will tell if I have to get a different truck. Island Lake in Michigan seems particularly muddy after a scouting mission to that map so that will be a good test. Holding off going to Russia until I have at least done everything in Michigan and a bit in Alaska.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet and probably wont so can't comment on that. Overall just liking the chilled single player experience, the only annoyances so far are that some trucks have been particularly easy to tip over which can be annoying, the third person free look camera can be irritating and the quick winch doesn't like to hook you to the most obviously useful winch points.

Guess I'll back up my save tomorrow after reading the above.

Soldato
Been playing since release, already knocked out a Hardcore Mod for it :) It's certainly a lot of fun but does need work.

If anyone wants their own personal modified vehicle let me know. I'll suit it to your liking.

Associate
I have Mudrunner on Steam & Switch. For the latter, I yearned for a semi realistic sim as driving games are pretty sparse on the Switch - it runs really well handheld.

Just like Euro/American Truck sim, Mudrunner is addictive. Very tempted to pick up Snowrunner, particularly if its more fleshed out.

Soldato
Totally hooked on this. Far more polished than Mudrunner was! Still fairly early game with tonnes of maps and vehicle unlocks ahead of me. Map design is far more interesting than the previous game, where you could just get away with driving the big trucks anywhere with no real reason for a scout bar a shortcut between some trees. There are some proper rock crawler style sections of map that require the ability to navigate through some tricky tight terrain and steep slopes, it's awesome!

Just got the raised suspension, massive mud tyres, upgraded engine, diff lock and low range gearbox all set up on the starter pickup truck - it's a beast now! So many upgrades to affect how the vehicles behave, then there are tonnes of vehicles available as you play through the game. Can't wait to get some of the bigger trucks!

maj

maj

Soldato
First started playing this at the start of the first lockdown, was a great time killer in the circumstances. Hadn't played Mudrunner before hand but picked that up when it was free on Epic Store a few weeks back. It's one of those games where you think you'll just do one or two quests and then stop but you end up playing it for hours.

I keep coming back to it every once in awhile and have unlocked the Russia map but not explored it yet. As I found out quite early it is always worth scouting ahead and doing the bridge quests first as it makes things a lot easier! Some of the trailers are massive and you have to carefully plan out your route to avoid certain obstacles etc. Some of the maps don't have a fuel station either so you have to think of an alternative method which adds an interesting challenge. I'm trying to just stick with using the trucks that I discover on each map rather than buying ones from the store.

Soldato
Never got far into this, just mid way through the pipe dream mission, taking the long route, through a forest without an off road vehicle.

That being said it has come an awful long way since when I first played Spintires Tech Demo back in 2009.

I remember watching Gr4ndy play it, doubt he's about anymore.

Associate
I really enjoyed this to start with - then I got to - I think the 3rd map of the opening section where every mission included going up and down that bloody long winding mountain road - so tedious - a couple of months later it dawned on me that I hadnt fired up the game since then.

Wasnt a concious decision - guess my brain just took its own action :)

Soldato
Still playing it in bursts. Sometimes it's really enjoyable and relaxing, but other times hugely frustrating with some of the map design. Was exploring an area of one of the Russian Snow maps the other day, collected something for a mission and there was 3-4 routes away from where I was. Route 1 had a tree going across the route about a foot from the ground across some rocks that is unpassable, another route was really icy with rocks (unpassable with mud tyres) and the other routes were just bog like mud where you could barely move unless winching off trees. Now I get that you need to have obstacles, but I found some of the earlier maps managed this better - where you'd have a much longer easier route you could take, or the difficult shortcut. The Russian maps just feel like they were created by a bunch of sadists!

Keep meaning to jump into some more multiplayer as that really helps deal with some of the frustrations, winching each other through tricky spots etc.

Back
Top Bottom