Star Citizen

Associate
My brother and his friends are big fans of Star Citizen. I did contribute during the initial kickstarter and bought a couple of ships, but never really played - just the odd check in occasionally.

Give it's been several years now, thought I would give it another try with my brother - should be good by now?

My impressions were not great. Wandering around the station and my fps tanked. Changed settings to medium, then low and they stayed the same? Summoned one of my ships (constellation?) and when I went to the hanger it started moving about on it's own and looking all wonky. It seemed as if it was being pushed around by my avatar.

Brother ended up getting in and trying to fly it for me. Handled a bit weird as for some reason one of the engines was missing (probably due to all the bouncing around). Flew to a station and landed. Station looked pretty good, lots of places to go. Went to a lift and the doors flew out of nowhere towards it when pressed the button.

Went to buy a few things - bought a few pieces of armour but the legs and helmet I bought didn't show up in my inventory so had to try a second time. Apparantly hunger and thirst are now a thing in the game (which I'm not a fan of) so went to buy a drink. Picked up a bottle off a bar to inspect and buy - and my focus became locked on the bottles on the bar. I couldn't move away - it would just move me back. Tried escaping/going into inventory etc and it would just not free the lock. Ended up quitting the game and reloading to recover.

Had to make an insurance claim for my ship as the repair option said "not available" which cost me in game credits. Used one of my brothers ships, accepted a delivery mission. Went to a space station to pick up, and was taking too long to land to permission got revoked. Re-requested and it gave me same landing platform. When I got out the ship started shifting on it's own again. Brother couldn't leave the ship as he had got stuck when trying to leave the turret and couldn't move anywhere.

Few other things I can't quite recall, but a lot of it was my brother saying "yeah, it does that. Oh and another thing try not to do this as it's buggy etc". Loads of NPC's standing motionless on top of benches and chairs too. Issues with HUD as passenger on constellation, and a panel comes down which pretty much blocks most of your view.

starcitizen.jpg

And had to setup my character features, again. Seem to have to do this every update?

Used the preset for my Rhino X55 and took a little to figure out buttons. Found landing gear (SW5) which worked - but when trying it during actual landing didn't work? Had to use kb option instead.

Had an extra large ship in my inventory which apparently is to get around some quitting bug if you're in a bed when you exit (or something)?

I quit, couldn't bare it for long. I personally find it rediculous that a game that has been in development for this many years still has a lot of fundamental issues breaking playability.

Sorry the rant - why they haven't got the core bits stable by now is beyond me. Maybe I should leave it another few years before I try again. :D

Soldato
It's nothing but a scam, a tech. demo masquerading as a 'game'. It's never going to be released as a finished game with all the promised features working as intended.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I do not bother trying, not tried in many years. All I want is for them to release Squadron 42. Don't care much what else happens at this point.

Associate
OP
I do not bother trying, not tried in many years. All I want is for them to release Squadron 42. Don't care much what else happens at this point.

Indeed - hopefully they should have more success with a single player game, although that taking a long time too and from what I can tell a lower priority to star citizen. Considering all the voice acting and motion capture was done years ago, they could have even released a feature length cgi movie or something by now.

Man of Honour
Honestly they can't even nail the bread and butter mechanics, the basics of movement, basics of easily accessible controls and features, etc. everything feels wonky and like it was developed with a mixture of over the top enthusiasm and shoddy half-arsing it than substance - how anyone ever thought it was going to turn into a decent game is beyond me.

Soldato
There's a dedicated thread did this warrant a new one? That being said yep it's mismanaged and it will never live up to the expectations.

Associate
That’s all I wanted to play in the first place. I’m sure it was meant to come out first. If they can’t even get the single player? game out good luck with the MMO.

Associate
OP
There's a dedicated thread did this warrant a new one? That being said yep it's mismanaged and it will never live up to the expectations.

If mods want to merge this one go ahead, or delete it if needs be.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/official-star-citizen-squadron-42-thread.18603648/

Main thread, but yes, this game is a utter scam at this point. Avoid it like the plague.

Unfortunately they stopped doing refunds years ago. Lesson learnt.

That’s all I wanted to play in the first place. I’m sure it was meant to come out first. If they can’t even get the single player? game out good luck with the MMO.

I think it was meant to come out first, or at least early on. The fact they were doing motion captures and voice work years ago made it appear that things were progressing well. I'm signed up to the email newsletter but not been too much revealed in that.

Soldato
Insane thing is they actually prioritized SQ42, and it's still six years late!

The game can look fantastic at times from what I've read and I think that's what's keeping interest alive and of course you've got people heavily invested finacially and emotionally now, they keep delaying features off the road map, and they after a while they just disapear inot a black hole never to be seen again. But there'a always a few shiny things on the way and I think that distracts backers attention.

Soldato
If any of you actually own the game and haven't played for a while, let me know and I'll be happy to give you a tour. Perhaps we can dispel at least some of the nonsense being posted in here.
@fizzy If you want to give it another try, let me know. Sorry you had that experience, but it's certainly not the default.

You lot do love to get carried away with yourselves :D

Associate
OP
If any of you actually own the game and haven't played for a while, let me know and I'll be happy to give you a tour. Perhaps we can dispel at least some of the nonsense being posted in here.
@fizzy If you want to give it another try, let me know. Sorry you had that experience, but it's certainly not the default.

Thanks for the offer - if I go on anytime soon will likely get assistance from my little brother again. :)

Back
Top Bottom