Smooth Decking

Associate
I am getting new decking down and don’t want the rigged traditional decking. Want something smooth- my joiner has suggested using 4inch fence d rails as they are smooth and have a rounded edge so would look very contemporary and modern. I like the sound but is this practical and ok? I know aesthetically it will look sleek but want to make sure. Any thoughts?

Soldato
Just buy decking board and put them groove side down. There's lots of debate anyway about whether decking should be installed groove side up or down.

This is what I've put down:

20190704-192815.jpg

Soldato
Smooth side up does look a lot better, but heard it can be very slippy. I’m planning to avoid the grooves look when we have decking.

Groove side down being more slippery is a myth. I've done it at two properties now and used over a combined 8 year period and had no issues at all. In the previous house it was directly outside the back door and used all year round.

Decking being slippery is caused by a build up of algae and dirt which then holds the water. If anything grooves up encourages this as it's harder to clean.

Associate
Flat side up ftw! Regardless of flat/grooved/composite/magic pixie bone boards you use; if it is in then shade and has standing water on it, algae WILL grow, and get slippy. Keep it sunny/aerated/dry as possible, tis the only way.

I've got hardwood, flat all around decking, and its all good and not slippy. Apart from the corner behind a wall where the sun doesnt get it, it stays a bit damp and algae grows. If the weather is dry for a few days then all is good, bit of rain and then the slipperiness comes back. So basically, if your local conditions are a bit crap, its gonna get slippy regardless of which boards and which way up you use them. (groove down btw ;) )

Soldato
The general theory is it’s supposed to be groove side up to break surface tension and channel water away.

The grooves were designed to go down to aid airflow and stop moisture. Groove side up also ends up being more slippy as it has less surface area than the flat side. Grooves also only channel water on short runs with a suitable gradient, on long lengths grooves dont aid water run off and the smooth side is better.

Soldato
The grooves were designed to go down to aid airflow and stop moisture. Groove side up also ends up being more slippy as it has less surface area than the flat side. Grooves also only channel water on short runs with a suitable gradient, on long lengths grooves dont aid water run off and the smooth side is better.

No, they were originally designed to be groove side up to channel water away, but there’s definitely benefits for having it smooth side up as you mention.

Soldato
Decking is supposed to be ridge side down anyway isnt it?

The general theory is it’s supposed to be groove side up to break surface tension and channel water away.

The grooves were designed to go down to aid airflow and stop moisture.

No, they were originally designed to be groove side up to channel water away

I'll stick to my original point :D. I did loads and loads of research and couldn't find one overriding source, they seem to contradict each other. I still agree groove side down is better.

There's lots of debate anyway about whether decking should be installed groove side up or down.

Soldato
^ That doesn't make groove side up right. Its simply the British now expect decking to be groove side up so that is what they make. Originally the grooves where meant to go down, unless you have a tiny deck the grooves wont channel anything away as the gradient will not be steep enough anyway. All that happens is water sits in the grooves.

Soldato

I think that's the end point really. If you look after it properly then it'll be fine, but if you let algae grow and dont protect it properly then it'll get slippy.

I'll be installing mine smooth side up!

Back
Top Bottom