Shop bought soup

Soldato
I'm really into soup at the moment. When I was ill a few weeks ago, someone brought me these chicken sweetcorn and minestrone soups from Tesco

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256727278
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/252074353

They're so chunky and delicious. I'm hooked on them. I've always bought cheap tinned soup and they're so meh compared to those; thin, watery and not moreish. I don't want tinned soup anymore. Even Heinz is not very good and often have a weird aftertaste.

Tonight I tried Covent Garden soup for the first time. Creamy chicken soup. Not chunky like the others but really delicious and creamy with plenty of chicken pieces.
I've got another Covent Garden soup in the fridge, I think it's smoked bacon and lentil.

All these soups are 600g, half as much again as a standard tin and are between £1.50 and £2.50.
Do you have a favoured soup you buy?

Soldato
I rarely buy soup as they're so easy to make and freeze well, and also a great way to use up random odds and ends.

Saying that I did get a chicken and chorizo soup from Morrisons a while back that was actually very good, paid around £1.60 - £1.80 IIRC for a 600g tub.

Soldato
Tomato soup has always been my favourite and as much as I enjoy shop bought ones I’ve yet to find one that tastes as good as the one I make.

Now the big debate regarding soup is soft or crusty bread/rolls? Crusty for me.

Soldato
For me it's either:-
  1. Heinz tomato soup and a cheese butty to dip into it. Has to be a good mature Cheddar on standard sliced white bread cut on the diagonal.
  2. Cream of asparagus with croutons and a ham and mustard butty.
  3. A proper French onion soup with massive cheesy croutons.

Soldato
I always have a Heinz big soup in my drawer at work for emergencies.

At home we don’t eat tinned soup often. Whenever we have roast chicken we make a stock, Chuck some veg in and you have a decent soup with minimum effort.

Associate
Those Tesco soups are excellent, way better than their finest range and better than any of the other branded fresh ones. I have them several times a week. The three bean chilli one is probably my favourite with a crusty roll, no butter.

Man of Honour
If I'm working longer hours I usually pick up a few from Sainsburys or M&S.

It also helps me shift any left over green leaves like spinach or cavolo nero I have sitting in the fridge. A few drops of Sriracha for some added kick in the winter months.

Soldato
OP
No croutons, krooton? :D

Yes, I really should be thinking about making my own soups as I've got the tools and as had been said, make a lot and freeze.

I've got a liquid blender attached to my stand mixer and I've just acquired from my dear mum an old Braun electric hand blender which I've just cleaned up and it works beautiful, very quiet.

20200504-150054.jpg

20200504-151143.jpg

What would be an easy, chunky soup to make, and with the hand blender in a big pot on the hob, or standing blender? Something along the lines of the tesco chunky minestrone. I'd also really like to try and make a chicken and sweetcorn like you get in chinese restaurants. The Tesco one is like that.

Soldato
@Merlin5 be careful using the stand mixer blender for soup. I tried using mine once and it made a huge mess as it blew the top off despite my hand being on it. To be fair I did overfill it a bit but still. I just use my hand blender now. Made some nice tomato and basil soup today.

Soldato
I like the packet of knorr thick vegetable soup tho it can be a pain to make as can get lumpy when adding it to a pan of boiling water so you gotta stir it for ages.

Heinz Cream of Chicken Soup with lurpak on some crusty cob is nice.

Been thinking of getting a soup maker from b&m like this. https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/morphy-richards-soup-maker-317014 But dunno as they dont really cook meat in soups, they probs want you to cook the meat then add it to the maker which is meh if you just want to do one pot kinda thing. I do have slow cooker which i do some nice scotch broth type of soup/casserole in which is usually nice.

Back
Top Bottom