Overwatch

Stu

Stu

Soldato
lol and now they've announced they're dropping the hero bans for low ranks - knee jerk away boys!

I don't think it's knee jerk... they tried something, they got player feedback, and they reacted. Lower level gameplay already has lots of variance in team compositions, so there is no need for hero bans to force variation. I might hamper some of the higher level one tricks, but that's maybe not a bad thing. There bigger concern will be how much it upsets the pros because the need to rework tactics every week, but since pro teams are so similar to each other, they are all in the same boat.

Also, I think in silver/gold many players are only good with a couple of heroes in each category, so losing one or two of your favourite heroes for a week really messes up your game, so hero bans were not helping the lower ranks.

Associate
The only issue I see with it only being in higher ranks though is if someone finally managed to climb out of low rank and then getting hit with this " new" feature and struggling because they've been able to play one hero up till this point and then struggling

Stu

Stu

Soldato
The only issue I see with it only being in higher ranks though is if someone finally managed to climb out of low rank and then getting hit with this " new" feature and struggling because they've been able to play one hero up till this point and then struggling

Personally, I think it is pretty lame being only a one-trick at Masters level. You should have skill to play a couple of heroes well (says the dude in gold).

Soldato
lol and now they've announced they're dropping the hero bans for low ranks - knee jerk away boys!

I had read that they had said that. To me what they said makes no sense at all.

The types of changes they have been doing like removing Reinhardt or ana plus moira on the same week will change the game for every one at all ranks.

I have over 2000hours on the game lts nice to come on to something different each week.

Soldato
Everything they do speaks to how completely out of touch they are with their own product...

Like that patch from the other week - "we've begun to realise that adding tons of heroes with additional un-fun cc stun abilities to the game was making life more and more miserable for tank players" - frickin hallelujah they've finally realised all the queue problems they keep trying to fix by trying braindead things like 3-2-1 are because they've neglected tanks for so long... but then, so close to maybe finally addressing a problem, what do they do?

"so we've made some extremely minor tweaks to shave about 0.01 seconds off of a handful of stuns in the game" - ah nevermind; they still don't get it... how hard would it be to introduce a diminishing returns stun system like virtually every other ability based game has in it, so that a team of Mcree Brig Sigma Ana Rein Echo can't just chain their stuns together and shut down literally anything in the game with no counterplay? Just make it so that the 2nd stun affecting the same target only lasts 50% as long, next one 20%, and any after that have no effect (but still use up the ability of the player using it)

Blizzard: ............ "So what you're saying is, we should buff reaper?" ffs!!!!

Associate
Everything they do speaks to how completely out of touch they are with their own product...

Like that patch from the other week - "we've begun to realise that adding tons of heroes with additional un-fun cc stun abilities to the game was making life more and more miserable for tank players" - frickin hallelujah they've finally realised all the queue problems they keep trying to fix by trying braindead things like 3-2-1 are because they've neglected tanks for so long... but then, so close to maybe finally addressing a problem, what do they do?

"so we've made some extremely minor tweaks to shave about 0.01 seconds off of a handful of stuns in the game" - ah nevermind; they still don't get it... how hard would it be to introduce a diminishing returns stun system like virtually every other ability based game has in it, so that a team of Mcree Brig Sigma Ana Rein Echo can't just chain their stuns together and shut down literally anything in the game with no counterplay? Just make it so that the 2nd stun affecting the same target only lasts 50% as long, next one 20%, and any after that have no effect (but still use up the ability of the player using it)

Blizzard: ............ "So what you're saying is, we should buff reaper?" ffs!!!!
Funny enough that's how CC works in World of Warcraft so you'd think they'd have enough experience with CC to know how to deal with it and just copy WoW:D

Soldato
It was nice playing brig the other week without Mcree being about all week.

Going in to the week I didn't think I would notice him not being around.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Playing Reaper was also nice without Mcree!

The cc change reducing the effect of Earth Shatter is very noticeable. I hadn't hugely noticed other changes.

On a different note, I really liked this YT vid from OWL and thought to share:

Soldato

It felt like they were getting somewhere with the changes. The game was getting better and felt fresh every week, everyone I spoke to in game liked the changes.

Now hero bans are gone, Im very disappointed.

Starting to agree with you, the people in charge don't know what they are doing.

Soldato
popped back on last week for a few games to see how things are.

Played a few and did placements as healer before end of last season - won 5 games in placement got 2201SR

Just done next season placement today as healer - lost all 5. Got 2190SR..... go figure.

Placements are utterly pointless - why have they not just left people to carry on from the last season SR - why bother with placements.

What rank do the "bans" come into effect? Game still feels massive dps dependant at gold level. That hasn't changed. It's a game that constantly calls to me as I've played a lot of hours on it over the years, but it feels like it massively lacking in direction and bring out new characters, rather than trying to deal with the issues that are still there.

Soldato
Placements are utterly pointless - why have they not just left people to carry on from the last season SR - why bother with placements.

I tend to agree with this. If it 'started fresh' each season, it might make sense, but I think it generally just carries you on from where you left. I understand your own personal performance has more to do with SR movement though, hence you can lose all 5 and not lose much SR if you played great.

Soldato
popped back on last week for a few games to see how things are.

Played a few and did placements as healer before end of last season - won 5 games in placement got 2201SR

Just done next season placement today as healer - lost all 5. Got 2190SR..... go figure.

What rank do the "bans" come into effect? Game still feels massive dps dependant at gold level. That hasn't changed. It's a game that constantly calls to me as I've played a lot of hours on it over the years, but it feels like it massively lacking in direction and bring out new characters, rather than trying to deal with the issues that are still there.

Yeah placement matches have been like that for a few seasons now. It would be much nicer to have it move more on the placements.

I got told character bans is only above 3500sr now. I'm hoping they will bring that down lower.

Soldato
Yeah placement matches have been like that for a few seasons now. It would be much nicer to have it move more on the placements.

I got told character bans is only above 3500sr now. I'm hoping they will bring that down lower.

seems odd to have it that high. It needs it more in Gold etc. One trick genji's/widows etc would at least be forced to play something else etc. Very odd to have it a certain ranks - surely you need to have it throughout the game to make it realistic/sensible.

Soldato
seems odd to have it that high. It needs it more in Gold etc. One trick genji's/widows etc would at least be forced to play something else etc. Very odd to have it a certain ranks - surely you need to have it throughout the game to make it realistic/sensible.

Yeah I agree I thought character bans were working really well at all ranks.

The only thing I can think of is a few people complaining when their one trick was banned so they took it away.

Soldato
stone dead for me - utterly done.

Such a shame - the game was really good fun, enjoyable and had some great times with it but the current state is just all wrong. It's so utterly dependant on DPS characters and has been for years now, that no matter what tanks are picked and what healers are picked, the whole game is effectively a 2 v 2 depending on the dps players. You can not influence the result in any way as healer or tank.

the fact the games has 8 tanks, 7 healers and 16 dps characters tells you this. It's all about the dps. The fact the queue times are 10 minutes plus for dps tells you this (can't even get a placement game as dps - waited 14.30 last night for my 1st dps placement and just gave up) - Can't even get a game as dps makes no sense at all.

Last game there was Havana - 22k healing from Moira, me as Lucio/brig/bap 19k healing. Our dps players played as solider/genji into double shield/basiton comp - never switched, did nothing, we kept them alive for ages with so much healing but ultimately no chance of winning the game from the start. It's like that game after game after game......You can pick whatever healer you want, pretty much whatever tank you want but if dps don't kill anything/counter anything, it's over before it starts.

You know pretty much within 30 seconds of the game starting whether you are going to win or loose. There is nothing you can do as healer to influence that.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I feel your pain... At lower tanks where I am, 80% of games depend on which team has the smurf DPS or whether one of the healers plays like a DPS the whole game. I've given up stressing about my tank SR.

Back
Top Bottom