Plusnet speed has dropped from 38Mbps to 29Mbps

Soldato
So I noticed 3 weeks ago that my downloads were really slow; only noticed because a Steam update was taking ages. After some personal diagnostic (10+ random tests) over a few days using my home pc, work pc, android phone, android tablet, wireless, wired, etc, i consistently recorded 28-29Mbps download speeds, and 7-8Mbps upload speeds on average. Before that I use to consistently get 37-38Mbps download with them (and with BT beforehand).

I've been with Plusnet for 16 months now (18 month minimum contract). They advised 30Mbps Minimum Guaranteed Speed, and 33Mbps and 47Mbps estimated speed.

I've had a fault logged with them for 3 weeks now; and initially they suggested I might have had my line capped by BT wholesale/openreach to stabilise the line (I don't know what that means), but today I ahve had an update as per their test below saying the speed is as expected.

I've got a sinking feeling that there won't be a speed improvement if they insist on saying there is no fault.

If that is the case, is this a Plusnet issue or a wider Openreach issue? Seeing as I am not getting 30Mbps, I will be free to walk away from my contract with no termination fees, but am I going to encounter the same problem regardless of whom I choose after?

KBD
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 31.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.9 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 898.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type Internal
Profile Name 0.128M-32.4M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-04-22T18:00:00
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters
Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp
2020-05-05T16:19:04Z 2020-05-05T16:34:04Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate
32.3 Mbps 32.3 Mbps 32.3 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate
7.8 Mbps 7.8 Mbps 7.8 Mbps
Up Time
794.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains
0.0 1.0 0.0

Summary of Performance Test
Timestamp
Tuesday 5 May 2020 | 21:31:0
Ping
11 Ms
Download
28.76 Mbps
Upload
7.37 Mbps
Advance Test
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 28.76 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 21.01 - 30.01 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 30.01 Mbps

Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 7.37 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

Summary Advanced Test
We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the Speed Test Guidance if you are unable to understand the test results.

Soldato
A drop like that is usually going to be line related.

Have you or Plusnet run any tests?

Have you performed a quiet line test to check for noise? The line should effectively be silent.

What's the wiring like in the house? Are there any extensions in use for example (phone or data)?

Soldato
OP
A drop like that is usually going to be line related.

Have you or Plusnet run any tests?

Have you performed a quiet line test to check for noise? The line should effectively be silent.

What's the wiring like in the house? Are there any extensions in use for example (phone or data)?

The first results are Plusnet's own tests.

Just googled the quiet line test - will try that tonight and tomorrow; thanks for the suggestion. All clear tonight.

Flat/estate was built in 2012, so good condition generally.

Last edited:

TJM

TJM

Associate
A lower speed without connection drops is probably crosstalk - another property using the same bundle of copper lines to the cabinet has ordered FTTC and the extra noise is lowering speeds for everyone. There's nothing to be done and the advertised line speed for you/your neighbours will be adjusted to reflect what people are actually getting. The choice of ISP doesn't make any difference.

You might be able to scrape back a bit of speed by improving the internal wiring if possible. Is the router plugged directly into a filtered master socket (one with voice and data ports)?

Soldato
Checked again half an hour ago
Down to 43mbs now
My moneys still on open reach doing something because so many more people using the Internet
Phoning Plusnet, bt, etc won't get you far
You get some one who is usually following a flow chart
Do this /yes/no etc
They have no knowledge of stuff that's above their pay grade so to speak
They are customer service not engineers
Or high level staff who know if any network restrictions are being used

Soldato
And my Plusnet connection hasn't changed at all (still @ 60/17). I worked from home before the current lockdown and have noticed no difference at all with my broadband connection.

The Plusnet forums are a good starting point if you have a problem you feel is unlikely to be handled well over the phone.

Caporegime
Doesn't seem to be a widespread as my sync speeds are the same, I would post on the forum and see if you can get someone that isn't just a CS rep to help you.

Soldato
OP
Update: I just got notified overnight that they have detected the problem on my line now and will aim to resolve within 48h. Will see how improved it is then.

My skeptical side thinks they capped my speed and will uncap it now to just over 30 if that is feasible so that I no longer have grounds to leave them. But let's hope not.

(I found an old test record saying I was actually getting 39Mbps download so have dropped 25%)

Back
Top Bottom