Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Associate
You’ll be able to change default apps soon in iOS 14 iirc. (Like replacing safari with Firefox or chrome) it’s a much needed feature to iOS and I can’t wait.

while I like safari and all default apps in iOS, it’s nice to have a choice on what to use. Like if I wanted to replace the default mail app with another, better app.

I believe that Apple are "considering" allowing users to change their default apps, so it's not set in stone. But even then, I refuse to believe that Apple would give full total control to a third party app. Just goes against everything they've set out to do until this point.

Soldato
You’ll be able to change default apps soon in iOS 14 iirc. (Like replacing safari with Firefox or chrome) it’s a much needed feature to iOS and I can’t wait.

while I like safari and all default apps in iOS, it’s nice to have a choice on what to use. Like if I wanted to replace the default mail app with another, better app.

You mean you can set your web browser skin to default? Seeing as all web browsers in iOS have to use iOS Web Kit. This is strange considering it's GeckoView that's the reason why Firefox Preview is 2x quicker than previous iterations.

Soldato
The average consumer has never heard of the Pixel 3a :p look at its sales figures

Very few Android devices have good sales figures compared to Apple or Samsung, but tbf, I now know quite a few people with Pixel 3a's personally. Possibly more than any other one type of Android in fact... Yes, it's still small numbers though.

Soldato
Camera is very good, iOS is... different. The battery is terrible, worse than my Pixel 4. The screen looks fine (good even), but I’ve never had to repeatedly tap things so much to select/close etc as I do with this device at times. Build quality is of course very good.

Associate
Camera is very good, iOS is... different. The battery is terrible, worse than my Pixel 4. The screen looks fine (good even), but I’ve never had to repeatedly tap things so much to select/close etc as I do with this device at times. Build quality is of course very good.

Are we talking Pixel 2 level good? Or has it come on more since then with the A13 helping the single lens system? How dire is the battery? The OH has orginal SE is on it's last legs and could do with an upgrade once stock is more readily avilable. Wants to stick with iOS and a small handset.

Soldato
Are we talking Pixel 2 level good? Or has it come on more since then with the A13 helping the single lens system? How dire is the battery? The OH has orginal SE is on it's last legs and could do with an upgrade once stock is more readily avilable. Wants to stick with iOS and a small handset.
You could wait for the 5.4” iPhone 12. It’ll be smaller than the current SE, but with a bigger screen.

Soldato
Im finding myself in a position where Im being tempted back to iPhone. Im using an old iMac as a desktop machine and I have two MacBook airs in the house as well as a couple of iPads and an iPod. My issue is I have a level of frustration with a tic watch pro smartwatch and I keep seeing the Apple Watch but to have that I need the iPhone. I also quite fancy the AirPods. The problem is I don't really have the cash for everything!

Currently have a Samsung S9+ which is out of contract and part of me thinks just get a rolling sim only deal but on the other hand I could go for the iPhone - they are £60+ on a 3 year contract and that just seems like too much money for something I don't NEED. All it does is open the gateway to wanting to spend more money on the other bits of kit.

Its not easy!

Soldato
Im finding myself in a position where Im being tempted back to iPhone. Im using an old iMac as a desktop machine and I have two MacBook airs in the house as well as a couple of iPads and an iPod. My issue is I have a level of frustration with a tic watch pro smartwatch and I keep seeing the Apple Watch but to have that I need the iPhone. I also quite fancy the AirPods. The problem is I don't really have the cash for everything!

Currently have a Samsung S9+ which is out of contract and part of me thinks just get a rolling sim only deal but on the other hand I could go for the iPhone - they are £60+ on a 3 year contract and that just seems like too much money for something I don't NEED. All it does is open the gateway to wanting to spend more money on the other bits of kit.

Its not easy!
iPhone SE is cheap if you just want to get into the ecosystem... can always upgrade at a later date when you've got more cash!

Soldato
iPhone SE is cheap if you just want to get into the ecosystem... can always upgrade at a later date when you've got more cash!

Yeah but id feel going from the Samsung to that model would feel like a step back. I like the big phones too unfortunately! Think I will just have to bide my time!

Associate
Yeah but id feel going from the Samsung to that model would feel like a step back. I like the big phones too unfortunately! Think I will just have to bide my time!

Alternatively, why not look into a second hand iPhone 7 or 8 Plus - they can be had for peanuts and they are still quite "big", even though on paper they don't seem it. I'd personally rather an 8 Plus than an SE, I have no use for the faster processor, and if its just a stop-gap then it wont matter too much about 'only' getting another 3 years or so support!

As for my own experience, I've found myself sort of tempted again until the XR I'm borrowing just flat out refused to work as a mobile hotspot. The option is there, it enables, and I can see the network, but nothing can connect to it (except the iPads), and I just cannot fathom out why; I;ve reset the name, the password, everything, and before anyone says to start resetting things, I've literally just set it up!

I never ever have this sort of thing with Android and I ended up using an old HTC One M8 which worked perfectly for this use.

Soldato
Alternatively, why not look into a second hand iPhone 7 or 8 Plus - they can be had for peanuts and they are still quite "big", even though on paper they don't seem it. I'd personally rather an 8 Plus than an SE, I have no use for the faster processor, and if its just a stop-gap then it wont matter too much about 'only' getting another 3 years or so support!

As for my own experience, I've found myself sort of tempted again until the XR I'm borrowing just flat out refused to work as a mobile hotspot. The option is there, it enables, and I can see the network, but nothing can connect to it (except the iPads), and I just cannot fathom out why; I;ve reset the name, the password, everything, and before anyone says to start resetting things, I've literally just set it up!

I never ever have this sort of thing with Android and I ended up using an old HTC One M8 which worked perfectly for this use.

we see this hotspot thing all the time (... well,
Not every day but I’ve seen it 20+ times myself in 2019 so pretty regular) and every time bar none, after a lot of back and forth, it was some setting on the networks end which prevented it, as strange as it sounds.
Problem is getting someone at the network who knows what they’re doing

Associate
Still really contemplating if I should have a change from Android to IOS. I’m in a good position my Mum doesn’t want her upgrade so said I can have hers as she used my upgrade date to get a IPhone XR as her 6s was dying. I can give the IPhone 11 a try for 8 months and if I hate it give the 11 to my Mum and use my upgrade date for a Samsung. unsure though if I’d miss my oled screens. I do however use my IPad Pro a lot more than my phone though, phones main use is as a compact camera replacement on holiday and Spotify and internet browsing mainly.
so a good camera is a must and good music quality through headphones.

Soldato
Still really contemplating if I should have a change from Android to IOS. I’m in a good position my Mum doesn’t want her upgrade so said I can have hers as she used my upgrade date to get a IPhone XR as her 6s was dying. I can give the IPhone 11 a try for 8 months and if I hate it give the 11 to my Mum and use my upgrade date for a Samsung. unsure though if I’d miss my oled screens. I do however use my IPad Pro a lot more than my phone though, phones main use is as a compact camera replacement on holiday and Spotify and internet browsing mainly.
so a good camera is a must and good music quality through headphones.
Pixel 4a then... will have a great camera and a headphone jack.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I recently moved back to Android on a Pixel 4. I'm really loving it. I had been slowly moving ecosystems from Apple to Google so it made sense for me to swap phones too. Some observations:

- I don't miss iMessage, WhatsApp is used by everyone I know and it's platform agnostic. I run the Windows client so I can respond to messages on my Desktop.
- I much prefer Google Photos and Google ecosystem in general. Apple is good if you have all apple devices, but accessing Apple stuff on Windows isn't that great. Love Google Drive.
- Managing notifications on Android is delicious. It's an important area for smartphones as you triage and interact with a lot of notifications throughout the day.
- Privacy isn't an issue with Google. People get pretty bend out of shape on the idea of Google having your data, but back in real life Google knowing I like sports supplements so they serve me an ad makes zero difference.
- Google Assistant > Siri
- Dat Pixel camera is a dream to use.

Back
Top Bottom