1986 M535i

Soldato
I wonder if the guy thought it was an M5 and so he could get a bargain with a cheeky offer thinking they wouldn't know any better.

Could be, you know. I've seen similar confusion among sellers occasionally, with them asking M5 prices for what's evidently an M535i. I've also seen people confuse 3.5- and 3.8-litre E34 M5s a handful of times, too.

Soldato
OP
It seemed to be a serious offer from the guy and I don't think he thought it was an M5 like I did since he was there looking at it, and I haven't seen it for a few years.

I have no issues paying what I did for it and it's staying with us. I'm not looking to sell and if I end up investing a large amount over the next few years I'm not going to be upset.

Found someone to trailer it away to my brother in law's for now, until I can get down to see what's what.

Last edited:
Soldato
So the cost of restoring this will almost certainly be more than how much it increases the value of the car. It sounds like you're keeping it though so totally worth doing for yourself.

I'd love to be in your position right now, with the exception of your loss of a family member. Restoring that is going to be extremely satisfying, it shouldn't bee too hard. The most difficult part is going to be corrosion, if it needs any welding on the frame you're in for some labor, then you have that wing to replace and paint. Other than this I'd expect you could do all the work yourself at home.

Soldato
OP
Yea, offering £3500 for that would take some serious cheek. :D

I was thinking about this and remembered; when my dad died he had a decent condition MGB GT on the drive, chrome bumpers etc. It needed a fair amount of work but was a good example. Anyway in her grief my mum sold it to the guy who was currently building her kitchen at the time. For £500.

Some people won't let other people's grief deprive them of a bargain bordering theft :/ His "friends" also emptied out his vinyl collection before I could move back from Dubai to salvage what I could.

Soldato
I know plenty of people who have bangers like this back on the road simply because they are now mot exempt.
Best to have a good look underneath. If nackered wait till its 40 years old and mot exempt and sell

Soldato
Looks really good to me, the sentemental value alone would keep me interested (obv the fact I love old performance BMWs helps too). Excited for you.

My dad has his old jag (2000 V8 XJ) stored in his warehouse. I swear he thinks I'll take it on when he passes. By then it'll need a bloody restoration.

Soldato
OP
I'm glad you guys are all positive, helps me feel good about the project. It will be a slow burner but I'll keep you all updated.

Here's a question: it appears the mileage is unknown, and without my Uncle around to confirm, I'll probably never know what it is. Will this have any effect on day to day goings on such as MOT? What do I state for that and insurance? Since I'm not selling, it shouldn't be an issue on that side of things.

Soldato
I'm glad you guys are all positive, helps me feel good about the project. It will be a slow burner but I'll keep you all updated.

Here's a question: it appears the mileage is unknown, and without my Uncle around to confirm, I'll probably never know what it is. Will this have any effect on day to day goings on such as MOT? What do I state for that and insurance? Since I'm not selling, it shouldn't be an issue on that side of things.

Do a free mot history check online to see what it was when last tested.

I don’t think you have to declare mileage for insurance? The MOT tester will just use what’s on the dash.

Associate
I had one but not an M\\ model.
I would check the jacking points they were terrible for rust.
LHD is better as the conversion of the brakes to RHD was terrible on the E28.
The RHD still had the master cylinder on the left and a load of rods and seized pivots to take away any brake feel.
The brakes used the power steering system for pressure and there was an accumulator that always lost it's inetrnal diaphragm springinness.
Instrument cluster had 2xAA Ni-cad batteries soldered onto the PCB which will have lost their functionality and possible leaked.
Also check the banjo bolts on the camshaft oil spray bars as they work loose starving the camshafts of oil at higher speeds.
I can't remember much else. It was 20+ years ago.

Soldato
OP
I had one but not an M\\ model.
I would check the jacking points they were terrible for rust.
LHD is better as the conversion of the brakes to RHD was terrible on the E28.
The RHD still had the master cylinder on the left and a load of rods and seized pivots to take away any brake feel.
The brakes used the power steering system for pressure and there was an accumulator that always lost it's inetrnal diaphragm springinness.
Instrument cluster had 2xAA Ni-cad batteries soldered onto the PCB which will have lost their functionality and possible leaked.
Also check the banjo bolts on the camshaft oil spray bars as they work loose starving the camshafts of oil at higher speeds.
I can't remember much else. It was 20+ years ago.

Superb thanks, I've started making a list of major points so I'll add this on

Back
Top Bottom