Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
what did you get? I ordered a thicknesser/planer today thats coming tomorrow so I can flatten up the walnut boards ive got quickly

I got the bosch 26-82 planer. It made easy work of the oak sleepers. It's the first time I've used one on anything other than doors so its taken me a bit of practice to get used to but im happy with it.

A thicknesser is something I've always wanted. When I finally get a workshop Ill somehow get one. I think Id use a thicknesser on pallet wood for projects etc.

Soldato
I got the bosch 26-82 planer. It made easy work of the oak sleepers. It's the first time I've used one on anything other than doors so its taken me a bit of practice to get used to but im happy with it.

A thicknesser is something I've always wanted. When I finally get a workshop Ill somehow get one. I think Id use a thicknesser on pallet wood for projects etc.

Nice, yeah currently making my garage into a workshop table saw is next on my list to buy

Soldato
Motar Mixers - worth getting a £50 one?

I have an SDS and a battery hand drill and I've just finished the design of the pond which has a block structure (11m x 1.75m high then an additional structure later in the build) but the reinforced slab will be done from a ready mix lorry. Just concerned I don't want to trash the drills (and the battery won't last long enough) mixing the mortar in a bucket - I figure the mortar mixer (1200W from toolstation) would be designed more for the thickness of the motor.

https://www.toolstation.com/bauker-...MIoaSz-NmZ6QIVmLPtCh2G0QFZEAQYAiABEgKWKvD_BwE

Or for £74 a 1600W one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb728mix-1600w-electric-paddle-mixer-220-240v/7163r from a name I get on with may be an option.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Motar Mixers - worth getting a £50 one?

Mortar is easy to mix with a paddle attachment on a drill. I've mixed loads and never had an issue, those special mixers are great for full bags of plaster and adhesive though where a normal cordless drill struggles. Get a plasterers bucket though, much stronger than a normal bucket and use plasticiser makes it easier to work with.

Soldato
Mortar is easy to mix with a paddle attachment on a drill. I've mixed loads and never had an issue, those special mixers are great for full bags of plaster and adhesive though where a normal cordless drill struggles. Get a plasterers bucket though, much stronger than a normal bucket and use plasticiser makes it easier to work with.

I've done small batches for small walls and pointing but this is going to be a long slog (I have 4 of the Flexi builders mixing buckets). Oddly I have the SDS coring adaptor for Ebaur from my 150mm coring but just figured if I'm going to trash the bearings or SDS bit on a drill then I'd prefer it wasn't my little 2kg class Bosch SDS.

Soldato
Its always nice to buy a new tool though so maybe just go for it if you will use it again... but I dont like mixing in those flexi buckets with a paddle it always seems to ruin them.

Soldato
Already brought into the ryobi system and now need a better drill with the jobs starting to pile up (currently own a cheap 30 special off amazon)

Looking at the ryobi drills and just wondering is the brushless version is worth the extra dosh (around 40) ?

Soldato
i have 2 failry large jobs to do this year both are to replace the decking one at my house and the other at the inlaws. both are roughky 15 years old and rotted.

i am pricing up tools to make things easier right tool for the right job and all that. one is a circular saw corded or cordless im not botherd because i will be working on a bench but im looking at impact drivers and screwfix has a good deal on a dewalt. https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...er/489hp#product_additional_details_container

but then i watched a promo video from bosch and the guy batterd in a screw with the impact driver but then stopped half way and finished it with a combi drill without the hammer action kicking in.

question is am i better off with a the driver or a combi drill?

Soldato
Just don’t go for the Bosch impact driver - it’s probably the only Bosch product I’d steer clear of. It’s outclassed by other driver offerings.

Soldato
Don’t get 12v either, they are fine for light tasks but the range is really limited if you want to get other tools later.

Your original post wasn’t clear, do you have any cordless tools already and are you looking to buy a drill and an impact driver or just one?

Soldato
Don’t get 12v either, they are fine for light tasks but the range is really limited if you want to get other tools later.

Your original post wasn’t clear, do you have any cordless tools already and are you looking to buy a drill and an impact driver or just one?

I have neither, i was always set on an impact driver but wasnt sure if a combi drill would be better for he decking screws. i have a corded drill but that kit that you linked makes things a lot easier. the drill i have is an old corded bosch hammer drill

Soldato
Makes sense.

If I had a choice of only one one I would get a cordless Combi drill but if you can afford it then the twin pack is the way to go for decking.

The impact driver is the right tool for decking screws, but you’ll likely want a drill on hand as well. I certainly used both when I did my decking.

An impact driver is far more capable at driving screws into wood and getting them below the surface. Just make sure you buy proper impact driver bits which match the screws.

I’d buy the twin pack I linked above, there are cheaper twin packs but they are brushed tools which are bigger and not as powerful. The brushless versions of the tools are more compact, easier to use and batteries last longer.

The 2.0ah batteries are fine for DIY use IMO, if you are a trader, work quickly and need to guarantee all day battery then sure spend more and get bigger batteries. They do add a bit of heft to the drill too.

The only place where getting the smaller batteries fall down are if you want to get into cordless circular saws and angle grinders etc. Those sorts of tools will chew through a 2ah pack very quickly.

Associate
Hi Guys
Can anyone recommened a screwdriver bit set. I've had 2 cheap sets from Lidl and Aldi, but they're so soft and are ruined after hardly any time at all. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money as i'm only doing light DIY around the house. Thanks

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Hi Guys
Can anyone recommened a screwdriver bit set. I've had 2 cheap sets from Lidl and Aldi, but they're so soft and are ruined after hardly any time at all. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money as i'm only doing light DIY around the house. Thanks

This is the one that I would recommend, the bits last a very long time!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001P184Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a lot of Wera bits and tools and last an age but are expensive and overkill for a light DIYer, I needed some impact bits at short notice and got this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-mixed-impact-screwdriver-bit-set-32-pcs/12492

Very impressed with the quality for the price and not had a damaged bit yet even in the impact driver.

Bosch and Dewalt do nice regular screwdriver bits for a little bit more if you want a 'big Brand'

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-mixed-screwdriver-bit-set-32-pcs/94904
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-mixed-screwdriver-bit-set-32-pieces/6810t

All the sets have a good selection of sizes and shapes for most applications.

Soldato
I've got that dewalt set and they're fine for the occasional use, better than the cheap stuff but not overkill expensive. Seem to hold up ok so far.

Soldato
Quite like ebauer consumables - seem to be enough quality for diy use without the $$.

Looking a SDS-plus point chisels I may end up going for milewalkee

Back
Top Bottom